1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

ROM/Kernel Battery Performance Tester

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by baconnicecream, Apr 26, 2012.

1. baconnicecream

None

Apr 26, 2012
    I recently started playing around with installing new ROM's and Kernels on my phone (Galaxy SII) and found that its difficult to truly figure out if the ROM's or kernel improved battery life. This is a result of inconsistent phone use as its nearly impossible to replicate the exact same actions on a phone multiple times (especially long enough to check battery).

So I was wondering if there would be anyone out there that would be willing on trying to develop and app that simulates average use of a phone. What I mean by this is have an app that runs for 2-3 hours that opens and uses commonly used apps as a normal user would. So every time this app test would be run, the same exact actions will be taken with same intervals in between. This would simulate use and after the test you can examine how much battery % dropped and compare to previous results.

Here's how I envision the app working:
    -run for 2-3 hours (maybe longer since the difference in % change will be larger the longer the app runs).
    -during the test the app opens and uses common apps
    • Text Messaging (Send text messages to self at different intervals to simulate messaging use and regular screen on and off)
    • Web browsing (browse different web sites automatically. Each time the test is run the same sites are browsed. The test can have an option to do this with wifi or regular data)
    • Music Player (play music for a certain amount of time)
    • Camera (snap a couple of photos)
    • Game (run a game. This must be standardized and will require a user to install a certain game)
    • etc,

Obviously all of this would have to be standardized in order to keep the test consistent.

I think that this kind of app would help people wondering which ROM's or Kernel's to flash have an easier way of determining battery performance. This would also come in handy when messing with different governors or voltage settings and such.

Please let me know if anyone is willing to give this app development a whirl. If anything I mentioned or my intentions seem unclear, please feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks in advance,

baconnicecream

Advertisement

2. I do darn

I do darn Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    I'm not able to develop it, but I do think it's a good idea.

Bump