• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Manager - Backup Current ROM stops on exclamation point screen

Hey all, I recently installed the OTA FRG83G update and re-rooted my Droid. I'm fairly new to rooting so please bear with me.

After getting 2.2.2 and re-rooting (using rageagainstthecage through SuperOneClick) I wanted to jump into ROM Manager to make a backup (even though I'm not running a custom ROM) and when I do it brings up the screen to name the backup, I click OK, it reboots the phone, I see the Motorola symbol, and then I get a black screen with a yellow exclamation point in a white triangle with a Droid device laying under it. It will sit there forever until I manually restart the phone, at which point it acts fine until I try to make another backup.

What's causing this?

*Edit* Fun. I reflashed ClockworkMod Recovery and tried again and it worked exactly as it should. Any mod can feel free to delete this post if you don't think anyone else will need it.

Reactions: almj1976
The one useful bit of information that I got from this forum on that point is that whenever you reboot, you need to reflash Clockwork since it can go back to stock recovery.
If you are rooted and still running the stock ROM yes, that can happen. Every custom ROM I have tried fixes that problem and it is not necessary to reflash CW every time.

Reactions: outinthesticks
Upvote 0
yes,the stock rom is sneeky and it will replace your custom recovery with its own every time you reboot your phone,making it neccessary to reflash your recovery.

as was said,custom roms fix this prollem. if you want to stay stock there are a couple of files you can rename/delete that will truly make your recovery "stick" without having to reflash every reboot.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is the bummer about keeping a stock rooted rom and using rom manager only to flash a custom recovery. I have said this before, I or someone needs to contact the dev for rom manager and make sure that this command is included in the flashing process:
Code:
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old

as I fear the command that is implemented that does a similar thing to /system/etc/recovery.sh obviously isn't getting it.

Now, of course, one could just manually do the above mentioned command after mounting system as read/write with their favorite method of entering such commands on their phone and then also be just fine; that is if you just don't want to use a custom rom . . .

good luck

Upvote 0
My Droid:
Moto Milestone (Shols)
Telus update to 2.2.1

The Problem:
I have been trying to "Backup Current ROM" on my moto milestone prior to flashing some new ROMs using Rom Manager. I can flash clockworkmod recovery (2.5.0.7) with no problem however when I attempt to perform the back up, my phone has the same issue as JonnyP's (booting to the white triangle exclamation point after naming backup).

What I've tried:
- Rebooting and re-flashing older versions of clockworkmod recovery....older versions will not flash.
- Re-try re-flashing clockworkmod recovery after every reboot and then trying to back-up again......same result
- Fixing permissions.....same result
- Checked SD card for space.....almost 12GB of free space

Any further suggestions as to what I should do would be awesome! Thanks for the help guys.

Upvote 0
My Droid:
Moto Milestone (Shols)
Telus update to 2.2.1

The Problem:
I have been trying to "Backup Current ROM" on my moto milestone prior to flashing some new ROMs using Rom Manager. I can flash clockworkmod recovery (2.5.0.7) with no problem however when I attempt to perform the back up, my phone has the same issue as JonnyP's (booting to the white triangle exclamation point after naming backup).

What I've tried:
- Rebooting and re-flashing older versions of clockworkmod recovery....older versions will not flash.
- Re-try re-flashing clockworkmod recovery after every reboot and then trying to back-up again......same result
- Fixing permissions.....same result
- Checked SD card for space.....almost 12GB of free space

Any further suggestions as to what I should do would be awesome! Thanks for the help guys.

I had the same problem discussed here http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/29674-cant-boot-into-recovery.html. Although I am very new to this, I found the recovery.img from CW was not being placed in the root (main) section of the SD. After moving it I was able to reboot into CWR and flash a very cool CyanogenMod7. If I have made any egregious errors, please correct me Admins. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem discussed here http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/29674-cant-boot-into-recovery.html. Although I am very new to this, I found the recovery.img from CW was not being placed in the root (main) section of the SD. After moving it I was able to reboot into CWR and flash a very cool CyanogenMod7. If I have made any egregious errors, please correct me Admins. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice! Just a clarification though, when you say that CW wasnt flashing the recovery.img to the root of your SD, and that you moved it to the root, where was it flashing to? A sub-folder on the root?

Upvote 0
It was in a clockworkmod sub folder.
i tried reflashing CWM recovery, and then checked my SD for the image. I did find a CWM sub folder with the following contents inside:
- .recoverycheckpoint
- . rommanager _market_license
- .settings
- A folder that says download with nothing in it
- A box that says recovery-update.zip

recovery-update.zip is dated and timed at the same time i flashed my CWM recovery and inside it is a META-INf, res, and sbin folder.

I can't seem to find any recovery.img file anywhere though.

Any suggestions as to why i'm getting a zip file from my recovery flash instead of an img? Or am i just missing a step somewhere

Thanks!

Upvote 0
ok,im alittle confused. im not sure why you seem to think that the recovery image should be on the root of the SD card? :thinking: on mine,the recovery image stays in the clockwork mod subfolder. it never wanders out to the root of my sd card. :eek:

you have also not answered what will happen if you flash clockwork recovery,then boot directly into it. if youre getting an "error flashing recovery" when trying to flash clockwork,then try deleting all the subfolders from clockwork mod folder,except for "backup"(back them up first if you want for peace of mind)

to my knowledge in order to access recovery with a stock rom you can either:
1) rename and/or delete a couple files(i can find a link if youre really interested)
or
2)try the script that teddy gave you. you can do it in ADB on your pc,or try typing it on your phone with something like gscript lite.
or
3)reflash clockwork every time you want to boot into it.

if you are able to flash clockwork via rom manager then boot into it,then you need to do either #1 or #2,or flash a custom rom. and again,id highly recomend NOT using rom manager to flash roms and make backups.

Upvote 0
And again, this just above your last post. Not wanting to try or what?
Well you're kinda right :p I'm ok with trying it just a little unsure as to how I would go about it. I have Terminal Emulator on my mobile, do I just type the command:

mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old

in to the emulator? Or am I way out in left field with this.

Thanks for helping the nooby guys!

Upvote 0
ok,im alittle confused. im not sure why you seem to think that the recovery image should be on the root of the SD card? :thinking: on mine,the recovery image stays in the clockwork mod subfolder. it never wanders out to the root of my sd card. :eek:

you have also not answered what will happen if you flash clockwork recovery,then boot directly into it. if youre getting an "error flashing recovery" when trying to flash clockwork,then try deleting all the subfolders from clockwork mod folder,except for "backup"(back them up first if you want for peace of mind)

to my knowledge in order to access recovery with a stock rom you can either:
1) rename and/or delete a couple files(i can find a link if youre really interested)
or
2)try the script that teddy gave you. you can do it in ADB on your pc,or try typing it on your phone with something like gscript lite.
or
3)reflash clockwork every time you want to boot into it.

if you are able to flash clockwork via rom manager then boot into it,then you need to do either #1 or #2,or flash a custom rom. and again,id highly recomend NOT using rom manager to flash roms and make backups.
Well, I'm not getting an error when I flash the recover, (it says Clockwork has been granted superuser permission, and then successfully downloaded ClockworkMod Recovery), however I can't find the recovery anywhere on my phone therefore I cant boot in to it directly.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm not getting an error when I flash the recover, (it says Clockwork has been granted superuser permission, and then successfully downloaded ClockworkMod Recovery), however I can't find the recovery anywhere on my phone therefore I cant boot in to it directly.
So wat happen when you flash clockwork, and immediately try and enter recovery:
A) from Rom manager
B) by powering on while holding the x?

Upvote 0
Hey Teddy, I found the guide and everything on your site, and DL'd the folders. I tried running the commands in terminal emulator, however when i type the second command:

mkdir /system/xbin

I get an error saying mkdir failed for /system/xbin, File exists

any suggestions?
Yes. It means the directory already exists on your phone and you should be safe to move to the next command.

good luck

Reactions: Myco
Upvote 0
The one useful bit of information that I got from this forum on that point is that whenever you reboot, you need to reflash Clockwork since it can go back to stock recovery.

If you are rooted and still running the stock ROM yes, that can happen. Every custom ROM I have tried fixes that problem and it is not necessary to reflash CW every time.

FWIW, I was having this issue, and this fixed my problem.

I would continually flash CW each time I rebooted, but it would never boot into recovery mode. It was only AFTER I flashed to another (not CW) recovery, and then immediately back to CW that it (Rom Manager) performed as expected.

Vance & SNeitzel - thanks for the clarification - it's not obvious that the boot loader needs to detect that the CW needed to be recognized as a change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones