• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ROM Manager - Backup won't work

rdh23

Lurker
Jan 4, 2011
I have installed ROM Manager on my Samsung Captivate (Model: SGH-I897), which is running:

Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I87UCJH7
Kernel: 2.6.29 jeteak.lee@sep-11 #2
Build: ECLAIR.UCJH7
(A DARKY'S ROM)

When I select BACKUP CURRENT ROM and specify a name for the backup file, ROM Manager reboots into recovery mode and enters manual mode (after running: "update media, please wait ... update media, finished.; # MANUAL MODE #; -- Appling Muti-CSC ... Installing Muti-CSC") and presents the standard menue options (reboot system now; reinstall packages; delete all user data; delete cache data) without creating a backup file.

How do I get ROM Manager to make a full ROM backup? I'm sure I am missing a step, but I can't find information.

I have the same phone with stock ROM. Never been flashed.

I lost track of how many times I tried the well-known method (usually mentioned by posters using a non-stock ROM) which also only brought me only to the stock boot menu.

What worked in my case was installing the mod, then (eventually) 'Reboot into Recovery' which brought me to the long sought ClockWorkRecovery Mod tertiary boot menu. From there I performed a Backup which was conveniently auto-placed into a datetime-named folder.

Upvote 0
I'm stuck at the same spot.

Rooted.
Rom Manager installed.
Clockwork 2.5.1.2 installed.

Click on "Backup Current ROM" in ROM Manager and phone reboots. If I click on reinstall packages nothing happens and the phone boots up normally. I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

Ah, I think I see. I *have* to flash Clockwork every time before clicking "backup current ROM". Without doing the flash it has nothing to load on reinstall packages. Backup in progress!

Upvote 0
I have a Motorola photon 4g and downloaded rom manager months ago. My phone was not supported in the flash until a few days ago. I made the mistake of buying the Pro version, still no support, no way to ask a question. Everyone seems to be having the same problems that I am.

1 Does anyone know how to get to them with a question, proposing they will answer?
2 Does anyone know a similar product that will work?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones