1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ROM Manager causing Issues with GPS and WiFi?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 1Rockey, Mar 10, 2011.

1. 1Rockey

1Rockey Lurker
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    I bought a used Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S. It had ROM Manager and Titanium Backup on it. I cannot get the GPS to work reliably. Most of the time it says Data Connection Lost. It will not automatically connect when there is a WiFi nearby and the reception seems terrible. I read that the ROM Manager could cause these issues.

After I bought the phone I could not remove the gmail account that was on it. Even Samsung customer support couldnt help (hard reboot holding down the volume and power button) They said it would need to be sent back to the factory or taken in to a Tmobile store. I took it to a Tmobile and the guy took about 10 minutes and then mentioned something about the ROm Manager, but he was able to remove the account.

Is there something I can do other than remove the ROM manager to help with the GPS and Wifi? I really need to use the Navigation a lot and like having internet while traveling, right now neither works reliably. Thanks

Advertisement

2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well first off this should be in the Vibrant Galaxy S. forum, this is for discussing ROMs for the OG Droid.

With that said I really don't see how ROM Manager can do anything with GPS or WiFi, it just doesn't work that way. ROM Manager is simply a front end to help flash ROMs and Kernels on the phone. Now maybe the ROM that came with your phone is causing the issues, but ROM Manager is simply an app and wouldn't have access to effect the GPS or WiFi.

3. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    +1 ^^^ this. I'm going to ask for this thread to be moved.

4. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

5. dattack

dattack Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Didn't you know that the samsung vibrant has a crappy GPS? It probably has nothing to do with the rom manager. If the rom manager was installed, I am guessing that your phone is rooted. This means that you can start flashing a ROM that might fix your GPS.

Can you see if you are running froyo? what your baseband version is , kernel version , and what ROM you are using? Check your settings.

6. STiGLOGiC

STiGLOGiC Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    Also find out what version of Clockworkmod is flashed. If you have a voodoo kernel and someone flashed a newer version of CWM on top of it, that can cause some problems too.