• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Manager help?

69sico96

Lurker
Jun 7, 2011
I am new to the world of flashing ROMs and keen to try it out on my HTC Desire. ROM manager is the meant to be the simplest way to do this.

1) What is the risk of using this app? I have read on these forums about risk of a bricked phone. Is the app supported well on the desire and relatively safe?

2) I hear a backup of your phone can be made using this app. Is it possible to store the backup on your computer? Can this backup be run on another desire/android handset?

Thanks guys.
I figured out recovery through the forums and do use it.

I was under the impression though that recovery (with the linux interface) was just another way to access and do all the same stuff as ROM manager?
Also, how does clockwork recovery come into this?

I was under the impression that the three are almost the same and can be used interchangeably :/

Upvote 0
Clockworkmod is a custom recovery. ROM manager installs a custom recovery to be able to take nandroid backups, and flash roms - having never used it, I don't know which... ROM manager uses that recovery. Removing ROM manager means that you remove a layer of software that you really don't need. Accessing the recovery directly is just as easy, and allows you much more control.

The really knowledgeable guys here only recommend only two: clockworkmod 2.5.0.7. and amonra 2.0.1, depending on your erase size. Keep reading to understand what I just said ;)

I would seriously consider following their recommendations!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones