1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ROM Manager input?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Too Many Secre, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Too Many Secre

None

Mar 15, 2011
    In the Market I see the ROM Manager app. It looks like a super easy way to flash ROMs right from the phone itself. Anyone using it on their V? Any guides or suggestions? Or is it dummy proof? TIA

Advertisement

2. tcklord

tcklord Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Rom manager does not yet support the Optimus V. It is not listed as the devices after you install it. I hope one day it will be because our phones do support clockwork recovery you just can't flash it through rom manager, you have to do it through rom tools or some other way.

3. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    PC Tech Owner Affordable computer repair.
    New Jersey
    Just flash a custom recovery to the phone reboot holding home volume up and power,and use the menu to flash from zip on the SD card.it's pretty easy.

4. tcklord

tcklord Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    I know how to do it and have currently have ASOP CM7 on mine, but it would be nice to be able to download a new rom from within Rom Manager and install new themes etc that way. It is not difficult the normal way but would be even easier if it were supported in Rom Manager.

5. Impala3119

Impala3119 Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2011

This may sound alittle dumb but I have been trying for the longest time to flash clockworkmod recovery to my phone and still have yet to make any progress. I know it cannot be hard but for some reason nothing works. if you could help me out then that would be great, especially because of the headache it has given me! first off I don't have a computer so the only way I can do this is off the phone itself, unless of course its done on someone else's computer. I tried using my parents computer the other day with ROMTools and it said everything was successful but dont believe it was because recovery screen only showed for options......reboot,flash recovery to phone,install from sdcard.update.zip, and wipe. After attempting to select sdcard.update.zip it said it was no where to be found and no image in Cache. I dont understand what it means by no img in cache but I do know why update.zip cant be found and thats because I accidently deleted it. When looking through my sdcard there is however a new folder titled Clockwordmod which contains a download folder, some type of market liscense and .settings ! Im sure there is a way to bypass everything and use Terminal to create my clockwork recovery but can figure out what I need to do it. Is it possible to extract ROMTools zip on my sd card and use the needed componets within that to manually place such files where they need to go then flash recovery. I am really getting tired of the stock rom and dont know if I can take much more of it. I apologize if I am not making sense its really aggrevating that I am actually having this much trouble. I wont hesitate to buy you a few drinks for helping me out. I just need to find a way to get this done.

6. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    When you tried to root with Romtools did rename recovery.img to vrecovery.img. This is the most common mistake I've seen when using this program. I used Romtools to root my phone and everything went smooth as silk.

7. Impala3119

Impala3119 Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    Actually I was rooted long before I tried obtaining clockworkmod recovery. Suprisingly enough though, I noticed up untill a few days ago my phone would fc superuser whenever I opened it and gave me the idea that mayne something was wrong with my root, but after I was able to access a computer and try opening rom tools to hopefully obtain clockwork recovery it said no root was found, even though I still had superuser permissions. Therefore I went ahead and did the whole process of over again but still no luck, Even after I officially had root.
    Once I finally gave up and called it quits it was appearant now that my phone was running really slow and all programs requiring superuser permissions were no longer working. EVEN though before disconnecting I ran a permanet root from superoneclick.
    At this point im all paranoid that maybe something happened to my phone so I did a complete wipe and restored from My Backup Pro. What I am confused about is now my phone's root is working way better than before with no fc's at all, "and not once did I ever change recovery.img to vrecovery.img. I dont have a clue what was going on, but like I said before, there is a folder on my sdcard titled clockworkmod that contains a download folder, some type of liscense, and ".settings" . Im still not convinced my phone has it though because in recovery mode there is still only 4 options:
    Reboot phone
    Boot from sdcard.update.zip
    Restore factory settings
    Wipe cache.

After trying to boot from sdcard.update.zip it says it cannot be found because I accidently deleted it and something else about no image in cache. If you could post a link or something on how I can get that file back I would greatly appreciate it.

Hopefully this has help you have a better understanding of whats going on.

8. Impala3119

Impala3119 Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    Since my access to a computer is limited I am trying to get clockwork recovery so I can get off this stock rom.

9. tcklord

tcklord Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Follow the romtools thread for flashing an alternate recovery. Download all the files it says to download and within your romtools folder rename recovery.img to vrecovery.img then select option 2 to flash recovery to phone. It will check for root then it will flash the alternate recovery, then you can reboot it into recovery and you will have a lot more options then just the 4 stock recovery options.

10. wrath_00

wrath_00 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    Male
    USA
    Or flash your recovery through terminal emulator

11. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    To test if you have root, open Terminal and type in the letters su and hit enter. If you get a # sign for your prompt, then you are rooted. If you continue to get a $ sign, you are not rooted.

Tags: