• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Manager not working on Droid 2, but bootstrapper works

garyz

Lurker
Nov 28, 2010
I installed Clockworkmod droid 2 bootstrapper, and I am able to run backup from the blue (recovery) screen (after I hold down power+Home keys), I can see the backups under /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<date>/*.img, though I did not see zip file created. That is not a big deal, as long as I can figure out what should be the correct zip archive structure, or somebody can tell me, I can get it work.

The problem is that when I try ROM Manager, which is flashed "ClockworkMod Recovery" version 2.5.0.8, The option "Backup current ROM" does not work, it goes to recovery mode for a couple of seconds, and then jumps out and reboots the device. The same problem for "Reboot into Recovery", you can see the triangle with ! in it and a little android avatar by the side for only several seconds and then reboot it back to normal phone screen.

I have updated my phone from verizon (unrooted my phone, and run the update, and root it again). My busybox uname -a shows "2.6.32.9-g462500f #1 PREEMPT ...", and Settings/About Phone has system version 2.3.20.A955, and Android Version 2.2. I am not sure whether this is something to do with the newer version.

I am currently running or was running the stock ota 2.3.20 update on my D2. I can say, I never had an issue with Bootstapper or Rom Manager of the versions you listed. I am running squidlys 2.3.20 full blurr rom and have no issues either. All I can suggest is to make sure is that SuperUser, Busybox and any other app pertaining to root is current. Perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling the apps and make sure they are all granted su permission. Bootstrapper and Rom Manager are both authored by the same person and are meant to work together.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I had a pretty straight forward/clean process. I used DoRootLinux to root my phone, the only thing is that after the rooting, busybox is not working, so I copied a newer version onto/ system/bin. I unstalled ROM manager (I had it installed, acknowledged to download clockworkmod recovery, but it was not working - it did not go into recovery mode, just like the current state), and then installed droid 2 bootstrap from the market, that worked. And then I installed ROM manager, that lead me to where I am now.

Maybe some setting in the system that I should undo before re-install ROM manager?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones