• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Manager Problems

mbatson89

Android Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2010
UK
Search didn't throw anything recent up but apologies if i've missed something obvious somewhere.

Trying to flash the latest update to gingervillain 0.6 but having issues with ROM Manager/Clockwork mod recovery in as much as it fails to boot into recovery since the latest update and i can't seem to roll back to an earlier version which i know worked, as that also fails :(

Just wondering what my best options are? Flash a different recovery? if so can someone point me in the right direction and a quick how-to (pretty sure i know what i'm doing but always better to double check yourself, don't fancy having an expensive HTC brick if i screw soemthing up :p )

As always, any help is much appreciated :D

I've tried doing it that way too but still get the same problem of getting to the red exclamation mark and not getting any further...

Did you root with unrevoked?

At the red triangle, what happens when yout hen press vol up + power? Do you then get to a black screen with blue writing? If so, sounds like you rooted with an old method that flashes teh HTC engineering recovery.

I had this. I just re-rooted with Unrevoked to flash Clockworkmod. There are other ways, but using that recovery, I'm not sure how safe they would be.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks again dan, just going through the process now. Quick question, i noticed that on the unrevoked link in your rooting FAQ from your sig, the instructions say to re-install HTC Sync after installing the Hboot drivers, but when you open up the tool it says not to have it installed for the root process?

Which is correct?

EDIT: right well i did need to remove HTC Sync as it wouldn't run the tool. My next issue is that it failed with a prompt asking if my firmware is too new, which i probably should have realised it would be given i'm running Ginger Villain. I'm now a little screwed as i can't get into recovery to flash a different ROM which i can then re-root....

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
okay, i'm sorry to keep coming back with issue after issue, but i'm all out of ideas now. I can't restore a nandroid because i can't get into recovery, and i can't flash an older build for the same reason so i can't re-root with unrevoked. What are the other options available to me to flash an alternative recovery?

Upvote 0
I assume engineering recovery is different to normal recovery, if so how do i get to it? As when booting phone with voldown + power and trying to enter recovery that way it fails?
what do you mean it fails?
if you do it that way do you get a triangle and exclamation mark?
if you do press volume up and power to get to engineering
then "apply update.zip"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones