• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [rom] miui4dx 1.8.19[updated 8/23/2011]

I modified the transparent Galaxy S lockscreen to open Gmail and not show the SMS unread count, since I rarely text and often email.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a built-in way to display the Gmail unread count on the icon - there is no built-in system counter that you can call. But some of you might find it useful, so I've attached the modified file. Rename .zip to .mtz and move it to /sdcard/miui/themes.

Attachments

• SamsungGalaxyS_v3_trans_gmail.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: Kevmueller
Upvote 0
I modified the transparent Galaxy S lockscreen to open Gmail and not show the SMS unread count, since I rarely text and often email.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a built-in way to display the Gmail unread count on the icon - there is no built-in system counter that you can call. But some of you might find it useful, so I've attached the modified file. Rename .zip to .mtz and move it to /sdcard/miui/themes.

Thanks, I need to get to my emails more than my text messages as well. This is great.

I admit these lock screens look nice, but I miss the gesture unlocks of CM7 a little bit. I know it can't be done, but I would love a lock screen like this where it had 5 of 6 puzzle pieces that you could assign what apps would open with them.

Upvote 0
I updated the transparent Gmail mod I made above. I moved the unlocker piece a little because it looks better with my wallpaper, and made it have a Gmail icon instead of the SMS icon.

Same deal, rename as .mtz and move it to /sdcard/miui/themes.

Kev, if you want more puzzle pieces, it actually looks fairly straight forward. Open that .zip/.mtz file and extract out /lockscreen/advance/manifest.xml. You'll see that each unlock piece has its own section, and each one references all of the other unlock pieces as well. So if you add one, you'll have to modify all the sections just a little.

I may mess with this later but I'm not really in the business of custom lockscreens. If you tell me which pieces you want, I might experiment with those particular options which could give you something functional.

Attachments

• SamsungGS_v6_trans_gmail.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
just wondering if anyone has a fix for bluetooth? for some reason my phone wont connect to any bluetooth device after being disconnected once. i tried to flash the patch thats in rom manager and that didnt help at all :(

Same problem here with my car BT. I loved MIUI, but this problem made me go to CM7. No BT problems with CM7. :cool:

Upvote 0
just wondering if anyone has a fix for bluetooth? for some reason my phone wont connect to any bluetooth device after being disconnected once. i tried to flash the patch thats in rom manager and that didnt help at all :(

Did you try the newest build. They fixed BT. but there will be another build or patch out tonight or tomorrow to fix some other issues.

Upvote 0
Wow... I love Miui... it is my daily driver and is amazing... I never thought I would find a ROM that I would stick on... but I have now... even with the new update... I'm not having any of the problems that anyone else is having... I've been working a lot on my house lately and haven't had time for android... I have 1 more month till the re-appraisal and will only have a little pressure washing / grass cutting / clearing of brush (will be done tomorrow). And then next weekend will be putting the ceiling in the 1 room in the basement and the flooring in that room too (all by me) and maybe some paint, not sure and then the basement will be completed... and my friends thats how you pay 115,000 for a 3808 sq ft 8 year old house and turn it into 243,000 (replacement value on our homeowners insurance) in less than a month (foreclosure + me working on it ftw) (also in georgia this was a steal but needed some work, which I was able to do)

P.S. I'm drunk now and felt like saying that all above only to explain that I love Miui ROM and won't have a ton of time for android for the next few weeks. Then I'll be back in the swing of it...

Upvote 0
Ok, so I have this rom, but since ever having this rom and downloading facebook sometimes,little messages will pop up and say stuff....Like for instance last night I was talking to a friend on what she posted about my status and when I replied, right underneath my comment was a comment that said "Your number wrong"...Does anyone know why or how this can be stopped...Its really irritating.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have trouble with the back button when trying to exit out of an app? I have to hit mine sometimes three times before it responds. Also when I drag an app down to the dock then reboot the icons are rearranged. Any fix for this?

there is a setting to longpress and exit and app.
also the icon issue is widespread. Framework is working on compiling a new release to fix most/all the pending issues with .29, until then i went back to .22

Reactions: droblyer
Upvote 0
Does anyone else have trouble with the back button when trying to exit out of an app? I have to hit mine sometimes three times before it responds. Also when I drag an app down to the dock then reboot the icons are rearranged. Any fix for this?

Hitting the button multiple times isn't a problem with the longpress-to-kill setting. It's a known problem with CM7 as well as this ROM, maybe with all 2nd-init ROMs, I'm not sure.

The hard buttons occasionally require multiple presses to work correctly. Seems to be somewhat arbitrary on when this happens, but it's not just you.

Upvote 0
Hitting the button multiple times isn't a problem with the longpress-to-kill setting. It's a known problem with CM7 as well as this ROM, maybe with all 2nd-init ROMs, I'm not sure.

The hard buttons occasionally require multiple presses to work correctly. Seems to be somewhat arbitrary on when this happens, but it's not just you.
umm I've not had that issue with Cm7 on any device I had it on.

Upvote 0
I'm very happy for you.

It's a fairly widespread and documented problem, with observed output in the Logcat when it occurs.
All I know is I use it alot on my ascend and DX. Mainly on the DX when checking if torch is fixed yet w/o flashing the fix and it works flawlessly every time,. So I dunno lol

Upvote 0
It's only a problem with the DX as far as I know - quite possibly the D2 as well, but I'm not a D2 user.

Anecdotal experience is all well and good, but you not having problems with it doesn't invalidate the others that do or the objective evidence provided by the logcat that it happens.

Upvote 0
It's only a problem with the DX as far as I know - quite possibly the D2 as well, but I'm not a D2 user.

Anecdotal experience is all well and good, but you not having problems with it doesn't invalidate the others that do or the objective evidence provided by the logcat that it happens.
Well as I have learned with the Ascend all phones are not created equal lol. I thought that saying mainly applied to the ascend since its a cheap pos, but I guess it can apply to all phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones