• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] MTDEV-CM7 build 2013-03-03

Personally I don't ever mess with the cpu speeds. I have never under or over clocked the Triumph and never experienced problems. I stream pandora all day long by the way.

I've never felt the need to overclock when on CM7- Using the stock or other Froyo ROMs however, I've found it necessary for smooth operation. Even the stock ROM is tolerable with a replacement launcher & overclock at around 1.4 Ghz!

Upvote 0
I’m a lightweight and get away with using a 768 MHz max and don’t notice much difference. Don’t use Pandora all that often but am able to stream Play Music just fine. Of course will set the max back to normal if I am going to play a game or something but for the most part would use my Kindle for those types of things and keep the triumph super simple. Think I have maybe 5 apps installed outside of whats provided.

Upvote 0
G60 replied at the same time you typed the question.

To clear up the confusion, maybe G60 could change the log from:
08/09/2012
∙ Updated GPS it's faster and uses less battery life now

to:
08/09/2012
∙ Updated GPS it's faster and uses less battery power

Yeah I'm also curious to this. Is it less battery life or the GPS takes less battery life? I

Reactions: g60madman
Upvote 0
I have reorganized my FAQ and made it much easier to understand. Now, it's available as a PDF. I recommend using Sumatra PDF on Windows and Evince on Linux. If you have Firefox, try out PDF.js (it's an addon) in order to read it. I included more detailed instructions for flashing and upgrading ROMs. It was quite a bit of work, but I took some advice from others. They are listed in the credits. From your phone, try viewing it with Adobe Reader or EZPDF Reader. Hopefully it isn't so big that it overwhelms the phone.

Upvote 0
One easy way to evaluate this is to download CPUSPY and run it over a couple of days of normal use. Then see what percentage of time your CPU is at low speeds versus the top speed. You will be surprised.

I'm a light user, for me, the CPU spends 1-2% if its time at the top speed, another 3-6% at all intermediate speeds except the bottom two. The rest of the time, it is in deep sleep or at the bottom 2 speed slots.

For me, there is really no point, what is important is the voltages at the lowest speed slots.

It may be different for you or other users that use their phone more, but you may be surprised.

Remember, your phone has to do an X amount of work, if the CPU is running slower, it will take longer to do that X amount versus a CPU that is running faster. So energy used is going to be pretty similar. There will be a difference, but not a whole lot.

Would you say that running underclocked almost all the time is a benefit battery-wise for you Chairshot? I've seen so many conflicting opinions about clock speed & battery life (underclock means less energy used by CPU vs. overclock means CPU processes done more quickly = less energy used). I guess I should just try it for grins sometime & see- it sure would be nice to put the MT in "long-play" mode if I know I was going to be using it & that it would be a long day with no chance to plug in.

Upvote 0
One easy way to evaluate this is to download CPUSPY and run it over a couple of days of normal use. Then see what percentage of time your CPU is at low speeds versus the top speed. You will be surprised.

I'm a light user, for me, the CPU spends 1-2% if its time at the top speed, another 3-6% at all intermediate speeds except the bottom two. The rest of the time, it is in deep sleep or at the bottom 2 speed slots.

For me, there is really no point, what is important is the voltages at the lowest speed slots.

It may be different for you or other users that use their phone more, but you may be surprised.

Remember, your phone has to do an X amount of work, if the CPU is running slower, it will take longer to do that X amount versus a CPU that is running faster. So energy used is going to be pretty similar. There will be a difference, but not a whole lot.

Right- I tend to use my phone in "bursts" throughout the day and rarely use it for things like watching videos or streaming music, so for someone like me, I might see very little difference. In my case, lowering the bottom speed might actually make more of a difference I suppose...

Upvote 0
I get over 24 hours of life when I don’t use Navigation or am not flashing test builds all day and night but it’s hard to tell how much of a contributing factor it plays. What probably helps more is I only toggle data on when I need it and like I mentioned above for the most part only use Stock apps plus Maps, YouTube, Tapatalk, yellow pages, svox Victoria, SwiftKey, Play music and my bank app. I use the Kindle for just about everything else. Each device is for the most part completely opposite in how they are used. Why I keep things plain and simple with the Triumph the Kindle is all pimped out with JB, SPB shell, about 50 apps and widgets galore saving my Triumph from doing any heavy lifting outside of providing data for the Kindle when out and about but even that is a rarity.

Reactions: AtticTRON
Upvote 0
I get over 24 hours of life when I don’t use Navigation or am not flashing test builds all day and night but it’s hard to tell how much of a contributing factor it plays. What probably helps more is I only toggle data on when I need it and like I mentioned above for the most part only use Stock apps plus Maps, YouTube, Tapatalk, yellow pages, svox Victoria, SwiftKey, Play music and my bank app. I use the Kindle for just about everything else. Each device is for the most part completely opposite in how they are used. Why I keep things plain and simple with the Triumph the Kindle is all pimped out with JB, SPB shell, about 50 apps and widgets galore saving my Triumph from doing any heavy lifting outside of providing data for the Kindle when out and about but even that is a rarity.

Yeah- I pretty much have data on continuously, but have decent connections at home & work. I'm usually sitting right around 50-60% after 12 hours of a typical day, so I probably could get close to 24 hours if I had to. I've just gotten used to plugging it in overnight & that almost always works out fine unless I'm doing a ton of Data-related stuff or have been doing a lot of ROM flashing/backing up etc. I don't remember my OV being significantly worse/better- it's actually surprising to me the MT's battery life considering its large screen & relatively small battery.

Upvote 0
First I want to say thanks for this rom and the work you've put into it. I really enjoy it. I am having one constant nagging problem that is keeping me from complete euphoria and would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide me.

I keep my phone plugged into an FM transmitter in my car, and on the stock rom, whenever I would recieve an alert/message, the volume would dampen to half its normal loudness. The volume level wouldnt change, but the loudness seemed to drop off a good bit. To get the loudness back to normal, i would have to unplug the headphone plug and plug it back in.

I flashed this rom (20120808) today, and I am having an issue where on a fresh reboot everything seems to be fine, but the volume output isnt as loud as it seems it should be. After I tried to toy with the settings in DSP Manager (turned on/off compression), the dsp.manager process crashes and I am unable to access it again.

So i suppose this is two issues:

How can i get the volume to the highest level without distortion that android intended :p, and also understand why (and possibly prevent/rectify) DSP Manager from crashing?

Upvote 0
First I want to say thanks for this rom and the work you've put into it. I really enjoy it. I am having one constant nagging problem that is keeping me from complete euphoria and would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide me.

I keep my phone plugged into an FM transmitter in my car, and on the stock rom, whenever I would recieve an alert/message, the volume would dampen to half its normal loudness. The volume level wouldnt change, but the loudness seemed to drop off a good bit. To get the loudness back to normal, i would have to unplug the headphone plug and plug it back in.

I flashed this rom (20120808) today, and I am having an issue where on a fresh reboot everything seems to be fine, but the volume output isnt as loud as it seems it should be. After I tried to toy with the settings in DSP Manager (turned on/off compression), the dsp.manager process crashes and I am unable to access it again.

So i suppose this is two issues:

How can i get the volume to the highest level without distortion that android intended :p, and also understand why (and possibly prevent/rectify) DSP Manager from crashing?

I will be working on the volume fade out's I noticed it's back. The problem is because we removed the HDMI code we also had to roll back to the default device files. This should be fixed soon! I will add this to the main page as a bug.

Reactions: mrpatg and remedo
Upvote 0
Thanks for this G60! This is definitely the most stable ROM I've run yet. When I installed it I did a factory reset - wiped user data, wiped the cache and dalvik. I'm running build 20120808. I have run into one issue with WIFI. With WIFI turned off and leaving the phone idle it does deep sleep. Only problem is that if I try turning WIFI on it says "getting IP Address" and then turns off WIFI. I found some articles related to the problem. They all said to delete the /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list file. There isn't one on my phone...

Here is a link to the thread in XDA-Developers

Also here is another from the Network Systems Dept at Princeton Univ.

This is the first time I've run across this issue. I've scanned the posts here and no one else seems to have posted anything about it.

Upvote 0
It isn't that it is taking a long time... The problem is that it says "Obtaining IP Address" and is in a loop. It gets the IP then drops it then shuts down the WiFi radio. I've tried looking for the dhcp_list file....can't find one. tried rebooting, same problem, finally reinstalled the ROM over top and it works, but only till the phone goes into deep sleep again. Once it deep sleeps the problem returns. If someone can tell me where the log for the WiFi connection is I could post it. It might be helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones