• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] MTDEV-CM9 build 20130120 [BETA]

No, because any time your phone needs to use a data connection it will use your data plan if Wi-Fi is turned off. When Wi-Fi is turned on all data access goes through Wi-Fi hence saving data usage. Google should probably clarify that since they don't mean data in the general term, but specifically the data usage on your phone plan that is being counted by your phone provider (VM). They use a similar terminology under the GPS setting and warn you that if you turn it on it will decrease your battery life, which is not completely true - it's only true when you have an application actively using GPS. Having GPS enabled in the Settings does not turn GPS on - it just allows applications to activate GPS. It would be nice if Google gave more clear definitions in some of those warnings.

When g60 gets thing set up, and he lets me, I can fix things like that. It's easy with a simple edit. He still has a bug tracker through the website, submit a feature request and I know where to make the changes.

EDIT: HAHA, I forgot whech ROM I was in. My point still stands. I just ment when he gets the new "stock" code done.

Upvote 0
No, because any time your phone needs to use a data connection it will use your data plan if Wi-Fi is turned off. When Wi-Fi is turned on all data access goes through Wi-Fi hence saving data usage. Google should probably clarify that since they don't mean data in the general term, but specifically the data usage on your phone plan that is being counted by your phone provider (VM). They use a similar terminology under the GPS setting and warn you that if you turn it on it will decrease your battery life, which is not completely true - it's only true when you have an application actively using GPS. Having GPS enabled in the Settings does not turn GPS on - it just allows applications to activate GPS. It would be nice if Google gave more clear definitions in some of those warnings.

That makes sense, but that assumes that we have our "data" connection on. I usually have mine off to save power. For me, when the wifi is off, my 3g does not take over because it has been switched off. This means it does not use more data in my case.

Upvote 0
I have been having trouble getting this new ROM to use another keyboard app. I select the SlideIT keyboard that I have installed, but the keyboard never opens. It always goes back to the default keyboard.

Anyone else have this problem? Any workarounds?

This isn't a deal breaker for me, but that default keyboard is pretty crappy.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have been having trouble getting this new ROM to use another keyboard app. I select the SlideIT keyboard that I have installed, but the keyboard never opens. It always goes back to the default keyboard.

Thanks.

Under the keyboard and languages and keyboard, you have check the checkbox to enable the keyboard. Then in a field for inputting text, long press the space and tward the bottom there will be a menu item for input selection. That's where you would select the keyboard.

Just throwing this out there.

Upvote 0
Under the keyboard and languages and keyboard, you have check the checkbox to enable the keyboard. Then in a field for inputting text, long press the space and tward the bottom there will be a menu item for input selection. That's where you would select the keyboard.

Just throwing this out there.

I have that done already. I selected it, but it still goes with the default keyboard. In addition, the default keyboard is grayed out and is always selected.

Upvote 0

Thanks.

Did you install from a previous backup or from the store? I've had apps not play nice using backups. a reflash/reinstall might help.

Upvote 0
I've tried that. If press the contact it calls the person and if I press the contact picture it pulls it up but the menu button doesn't do anything. Any help is appreciated.

Click the contact picture, then in the menu that comes up click the top part where the contact name and picture is. Then hit menu and edit. Also you can just go into the app drawer and open the program named 'people' to edit contacts.

Upvote 0
I'm using cm9 g60 10-13-2012 as a daily driver now. On cm7 it was apparent my
battery was about shot, only leaving an hour from full charge to going dead, with cm9 i get all day battery life with a shitty battery, when my new battery comes in, cm9 seems to use such little power ill prolly get uber battery life.

I sent a message to vm customer service, regarding upgrading our os to jelly bean, maybe if a bunch up us should bitch to them, well get them to do it. lol

Anyhow I dont know why id want stock jelly bean, because the g60 cm9 has nearly all the bells and whistles,i prolly wouldnt use the stock jelly bean anyways

Upvote 0
Did you install from a previous backup or from the store? I've had apps not play nice using backups. a reflash/reinstall might help.

I started out by restoring with a backup. I then uninstalled and did a clean install. I also tried another keyboard app to make sure that it wasn't a problem specific to the other app.

I will probably wait until the next build to reflash the rom. While the default keyboard is terrible, it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey guys! Couple days ago I've switched to this ROM from [ROM][PORT] MIUI 2.4.20-Triumph [UPDATED 07/27/2012]| (GB 2.3.7 based) and so far I'm loving it! So far I haven't had any issues (except known no camera or flashlight) that are frustrating me but one.

I did wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition once more and wipe dalvik cache before flashing this ROM. After first boot I've also rebooted as per install instructions.

I've set up my WIFI, saved the settings and connected to it successfully, worked on it for a while, everything seemed fine.

First issue I'm having is that when I turn the wifi back on it does not auto connect to my network.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc19uw16ms1s1re/2012-10-19 10.33.22edit.png

Second one is that when WIFI is on but not connected and the screen is off after a while the phone will reboot. This will randomly happen if I just let the phone sit like that till I turn the WIFI off or connect it.

You guys are awesome at finding solutions and giving advice, I'm sure we can figure this one out :) Thanks in advance :cheers:

2012-10-19%2010.33.22edit.png

Upvote 0
Hey guys! Couple days ago I've switched to this ROM from [ROM][PORT] MIUI 2.4.20-Triumph [UPDATED 07/27/2012]| (GB 2.3.7 based) and so far I'm loving it! So far I haven't had any issues (except known no camera or flashlight) that are frustrating me but one.

I did wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition once more and wipe dalvik cache before flashing this ROM. After first boot I've also rebooted as per install instructions.

I've set up my WIFI, saved the settings and connected to it successfully, worked on it for a while, everything seemed fine.

First issue I'm having is that when I turn the wifi back on it does not auto connect to my network.

Second one is that when WIFI is on but not connected and the screen is off after a while the phone will reboot. This will randomly happen if I just let the phone sit like that till I turn the WIFI off or connect it.

You guys are awesome at finding solutions and giving advice, I'm sure we can figure this one out :) Thanks in advance :cheers:

I think the WiFi libraries may be the cause. I haven't checked the commits my self, but the same thing seems to be happening with CM7. I think it might be an accsess point library combonation. Maybe an unknow call.

Upvote 0

Thanks Metal, we aim to please! :) Yeah the new version I am working on seems to be reconnecting fine, just need to fix the hidden Wi-Fi and we should be golden. Camera is still coming as I have yet to work on it yet, just want to get all the other hardware working first.

Reactions: metalman1884
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones