• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] MTDEV-CM9 build 20130120 [BETA]

g60madman, could you go into a brief technical summary of what is going on with the camera and what are some of the other technical challenges that you guys are faced with with this particular rom? Also, i noticed you said the hdmi code was included in cm9? Could you elaborate on why it wasnt in cm7, why its in cm9, and some of the technical challenges surrounding getting it to work properly?

Upvote 0
g60madman, could you go into a brief technical summary of what is going on with the camera and what are some of the other technical challenges that you guys are faced with with this particular rom? Also, i noticed you said the hdmi code was included in cm9? Could you elaborate on why it wasnt in cm7, why its in cm9, and some of the technical challenges surrounding getting it to work properly?

So to keep it simple it looks like we need to upgrade the kernel to get the camera to work. We may have another option but right now it looks we need a newer kernel.

Yes HDMI code is include in CM9. There was HDMI observer code included in CM7 but only works with specific HDMI devices. To get HDMI to work with CM9 its going to take editing some of the code to work specifically with our device.

To be clear I don't have all the answers as we are paving our own road. Basically because Motorola did not offer any files accept for the stock froyo kernel we are basically flying blind trying different things to make it work.

Right now each build takes roughly 35 minutes and if it doean't work we make tweaks to the code and try again. This is the work of all developers. I would love to tell you there is a big manual sitting on a shelf that has all the answers but that is not the case. Its simply trial and error, and sadly more error and fail than you know. If you have more questions please feel free to drop a line.

Upvote 0
yes u do need room to run it with their files. u dont need it, but hey its google now! who wouldnt want it? its so convenient

I'm working on the idea for the space issue. There's a hidden partition that the factory used. It's about 80MB, but there's about 20 left if we don't clear it out. On top of that, the new rig I got isn't set up just yet and I can't try anything pragmatically. I hope to have that fixed tonight. And thank you to the community! With your help, I was about to afford this machine that should make getting work done way more efficient. And help keep ideas flowing.

The only problem with the "hidden" partition is I want to make sure it is reversible. I know it can be hard to get down and dirty with the system. And there is a real chance to ruin things of one isn't careful.

Upvote 0
I'm working on the idea for the space issue. There's a hidden partition that the factory used. It's about 80MB, but there's about 20 left if we don't clear it out. On top of that, the new rig I got isn't set up just yet and I can't try anything pragmatically. I hope to have that fixed tonight. And thank you to the community! With your help, I was about to afford this machine that should make getting work done way more efficient. And help keep ideas flowing.

The only problem with the "hidden" partition is I want to make sure it is reversible. I know it can be hard to get down and dirty with the system. And there is a real chance to ruin things of one isn't careful.

well thats great knowing we have a hidden partition. that will make things a bit easier for many other users. let us know how this goes.

Upvote 0
well thats great knowing we have a hidden partition. that will make things a bit easier for many other users. let us know how this goes.

Oh, of corse we will. First I need to shutdown this computer so I can steal the video card and see if I can remote in with a changed video card, and, and, and ....
If you are not confused, can you call me and tell me what I'm doing:thinking:

Upvote 0
Couple more issues I found:

Wifi doesn't auto-connect

Data spends more time as 1x vs 3G. Dunno if this is something specific to this build, however it seems to have been happening since flashing to this from CM7

Thanks for all the hard work!!!!

I can say that my wifi auto connects. At least on most access points. The one where my wife works if kinda flaky for me. As for the mobile date part, outside my corner of Florida, I have been having crappy data service. Voice seems just fine, just data. And it's the data that makes the GPS work so well.LOL.

On top of that, you may have corrupted data from the old flash, a bad flash, or a few other things that aren't ROM related. I would consider a nandroid backup and a reflash.

Upvote 0
I can say that my wifi auto connects. At least on most access points. The one where my wife works if kinda flaky for me. As for the mobile date part, outside my corner of Florida, I have been having crappy data service. Voice seems just fine, just data. And it's the data that makes the GPS work so well.LOL.

On top of that, you may have corrupted data from the old flash, a bad flash, or a few other things that aren't ROM related. I would consider a nandroid backup and a reflash.

yea for me everything is working perfectly fine. i suggest resetting data/factory reset in recovery 3x! yes 3x but it helps. also wipe cache and dakvik. then flash rom. never failed me :)

Upvote 0
will a Bluetooth gps receiver work on this rom? since everyone knows the one built into these doesn't work well.

btw.. battery life seams to improve overtime with this rom, it sucked for me for maybe the first day but after that it was better than I've had with any rom, maybe the battery level just needs to re-calibrate.

also Pandora which i initially had problems with started work both on wifi and mobile data. This is by far the best rom I've used, and probably the best out for the Triumph. I do hope the camera gets working though.

Upvote 0
Right now each build takes roughly 35 minutes and if it doean't work we make tweaks to the code and try again. This is the work of all developers. I would love to tell you there is a big manual sitting on a shelf that has all the answers but that is not the case. Its simply trial and error, and sadly more error and fail than you know. If you have more questions please feel free to drop a line.

Amen to that, most of what I have learned so far has come from breaking things.

Upvote 0
will a Bluetooth gps receiver work on this rom? since everyone knows the one built into these doesn't work well.

btw.. battery life seams to improve overtime with this rom, it sucked for me for maybe the first day but after that it was better than I've had with any rom, maybe the battery level just needs to re-calibrate.

also Pandora which i initially had problems with started work both on wifi and mobile data. This is by far the best rom I've used, and probably the best out for the Triumph. I do hope the camera gets working though.

GPS will rock on the next update, we will be adding our GPS fixes from cm7. Don't worry we have been focused on the camera, we want it just as bad trust me :D

Reactions: dhman06
Upvote 0
GPS will rock on the next update, we will be adding our GPS fixes from cm7. Don't worry we have been focused on the camera, we want it just as bad trust me :D

Hey man, just wanted to stop by and thank you for all of your hard work. Without you we probably wouldn't have any hope of getting ICS on Triumph. Hopefully you'll figure out the Camera problem. Goodluck!!

Upvote 0
Has anybody had trouble with chrome on either 0811 or 0816 builds? I just flashed each from a complete format, and chrome was the first thing i tried, but it always dies after a little bit too much scrolling on, say, a desktop-size page like dustloop.com; not a complete loss since there are other browsers, but is this problem to be expected? I don't know much about the stability of Chrome on ICS on other devices.

Otherwise, I like this ROM a lot. It's outstanding, though i miss having a torchlight.

Upvote 0
Has anybody had trouble with chrome on either 0811 or 0816 builds? I just flashed each from a complete format, and chrome was the first thing i tried, but it always dies after a little bit too much scrolling on, say, a desktop-size page like dustloop.com; not a complete loss since there are other browsers, but is this problem to be expected? I don't know much about the stability of Chrome on ICS on other devices.

Otherwise, I like this ROM a lot. It's outstanding, though i miss having a torchlight.

Yeah, I've always had problems with Chrome on this phone (other ROMS as well).

Upvote 0
On another note, Chrome hasn't worked for me either, just switched back to Dolphin since that's what i'm used to. There have been a few other bugs, notifications, lock screen, small things that i'll wait to elaborate on, but G60Madman and the MTDEV team have hit back to back HR's with their CM7.2 and now this CM9!!! Keep up the great work gentlemen, I know a lot of people are truly enjoying the MT's now that you've been able to breathe new life into them. Can't wait to see continuing development!

Upvote 0
When I first flashed to this ROM, I installed ADW Launcher Ex and it didn't play well with CM9. It did something to the touch screen and made it so I had to hit an icon 5-6 times to get it to work. Switched to Launcher Pro Plus and that seems to work just fine.

Keep in mind, this is not a complaint, I am just reporting my experiences in case it might help someone else. I am running SmartassV2 and the battery life has improved greatly.

Does ICS have different graphics drivers? It just seems to have better response with screen transitions and such.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones