• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root (Rom){ODIN} Froyo ~~~That does not Brick! Downgrading Is Fine :)

BH_MAN

Android Expert
Feb 17, 2010
Caution!!! You Must be on STOCK Vibrant Rom & NEVER Have Already Flashed the JP3 Froyo Image

Okay, Now with the Caution Posted, Lets Begin with the Froyo that Don't Brick ;)

I have Tested this 5 Time's to Make Sure! Only install What I Post!

First,
You must already Have Odin installed & Know how to boot into Down-loader Mode!!

Do Not Select Repartition In ODIN Flasher
Installing...
Extract the .zip file

Open ODIN Flasher, Select the Pit File.
Select Eugene373_GalaxyS_Froyo_PDA.tar
Select start..

Second,
Once Odin had Done Flashed, & you are in Recovery Mode you will not be able to Access anything & need to be at a Computer with Samsung Driver's installed & a working SDK pre-installed..

Side note: you will get an error in recovery, Don't be worried!!!! Ignore this!

Third,
Un-plug the USB From Computer ( Not Phone ) wait 5 seconds and Plug back in! To make sure the computer see's the Device ;)

Fourth,
Open a CMD Prompt & type:
adb reboot

Froyo with Downgrading back to Stock Possible:
Download here > EUGENE373_SamsungS_Froyo_PDA.zip
*Stock Froyo with*
~ Root
~ SuperUser.apk
~ Build.prop now Correct
~ Defualt.prop Also Correct
*Issue's
Volume Key are Reversed

*Not working*
~ Rom Manager via reboot to Recovery!
~ Selectable Menu in Recovery
~ 3.5 Head-jack
~ Hot Spot Tethering

there are a few fixed and modded kernels out there just dont think the devs have pushed them out for public consumption yet so just hang in there...

ok, so can this update be done to a rooted phone?

The only real features i want that i currently do not have are the wifi tethering and flash 10.1.....

Does your update be incorporate flash?

I've learned through modding cars that stock is the most reliable so i try not to mod anything unnecessarily.

Upvote 0
stock is not always more reliable... and comparison of cars to code isnt really a fair comparison since most rooted builds are usually improved from the ground up cleaning up kernel panic issues to small things like idle and peak speeds and this does take time alpha and beta builds always have missing elements because the problems in those areas need to be fixed... even when you are going to a newer build... think of it as taking a 67 body and putting a 69 or 70 motor... even if its stock you still have to tweak a thing or two but when its done you've got everything you want including reliability....

Reactions: BH_MAN
Upvote 0
Props for this, just picked up a vibrant yesterday. Does the froyo increase system speeds as much as the reviews say?

Also can I install on a rooted phone?

Been fiddling with it and i think i have everything correct. Although Odin3 v1.00 is sitting on File analysis.
Odin: 0:[COM3]
PIT: s1_odin_20100512.pit
PDA: EUGENE373_SamsungS_Froyo_PDA.tar

thats how its set and looks nothing else. Re-Partition is not checked.

How long will it take, or am i doing it wrong?

Upvote 0
I got this working fairly easily. The only problem that I am having is swype not working. Is there a fix for this?

When I first opened swype it told me that the version installed and the phone did not match, so there was going to be limited operation. I went to the beta download site and it installed, but it did not fix the problem. There must be a file in this ROM that is telling the swype download servers that the phone is a I9000.

Let me know if you hear of, or know of, a fix.

Upvote 0
I just goofed up bad.
I've got the Samsung Vibrant.
I followed this guide and now I'm stuck at the recovery menu.
What do I do? I don't exactly have an OK button so I can't select anything. I can't boot into downloader mode or anything.

if you followed that link that you posted an you have a vibrant I am not surprised you have issues. Follow this one and download these images and you should be ok

[GUIDE] How to Restore or Recover Your Samsung Vibrant : AndroidSPIN | Your No.1 source for Everything Android.

Reactions: koutouyo
Upvote 0
has the headphone jack been fixed with this ROM? And I'm assuming otherwise it's Froyo as Froyo: Flash, more effecient speeds, etc.

To which ROM are you referring?

There are a number of different 2.2 ROM's out now. I'm using Team Whiskey's Nero Beta, and although I don't use headphones I've read a few post that say the headphone issue has been resolved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones