• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

imronburgundy

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Weird question, but I was thinking about it the other day. With us flashing all of these custom roms on our phones, could someone potentially build a custom rom that includes a way to capture our private data? I mean, just a thought. These roms are awesome but its not like they're sanctioned by a company such as Motorola or Verizon.

Weird question, but I was thinking about it the other day. With us flashing all of these custom roms on our phones, could someone potentially build a custom rom that includes a way to capture our private data? I mean, just a thought. These roms are awesome but its not like they're sanctioned by a company such as Motorola or Verizon.

Yes, that is possible.

Upvote 0
That crosses my mind all the time.. All I really have on my phone is contacts and pictures, none of which have any worth to a hacker, so I try not to worry about it.

I always wondered who checks these things for malicious activity. I imagine it would be really easy for a dev to install a hidden app that transmits our info.

Upvote 0
It would be possible to do this but you have to weigh the benefits for that hacker against how difficult it would be to keep that app hidden. With all of these people trying these different ROMs out I'm sure at least one would be smart enough to look through some files or see something funny in the coding that shouldn't be there unless it is malicious code. Other than stealing credit card info that people use for their market account what profit could be gained? Probably not much. That's just my 2 cents though.

Keep it classy San Diego!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones