1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ROM Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Neslot35, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Neslot35

Neslot35 Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    Male
    IT Service Desk tech.
    Idaho
    Hey guys!

First off, i'm new to this rooting and ROM's and whatnot. I'm currently using a Droid X I have recently rooted and installed Liberty 2.0 on it but I am really not happy with the Liberty ROM. Some of the items I need to use on a regular basis are not working, some were removed as bloat, and I have tried to reinstall them and enabling them, etc. etc. and to make this long story short I'm either doing it wrong or whatnot and it's not working. I'm more frustrated now than enjoying my phone.

So what I need to know is how do I remove Liberty 2.0 and try another ROM. I've heard alot of good about Apex but the latest release says I have to have version .596 and before installing Liberty I had .340.

Do i have to SBF back to .340 stock and then add the update for .596 before rooting it again to install Apex? Or what do I need to do to get rid of Liberty and install .596 and another ROM?

Advertisement

2. mac16

mac16 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    To get up to Gingerbread .596 you first have to be on froyo 2.3.340. So yes in your case you will need to SBF back to just stock .340 unless you have a nandroid of that as well, then you can just use the nandroid (droid bootstrapper backup).

I just SBF'd couple days ago and made the jump to .596 and grabbed apex rc2, everything went great.

I used this process to SBF. http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ootable-linux-cd-soley-sbf-headache-free.html
    That will bring you to stock .340

Then after you are on .340 you need to get z4root and root it once again. Then grab droid 2 bootstrapper as droid x boostrapper no longer works for GB.

Then you will download and install this 2 part file in this thread to get you to .596. Just make sure you download the 2 part file because that is the one you want, and yes it is already pre rooted. Just make sure you follow all directions, and install both files before leaving recovery.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html
    Short instructions:
    1.be on rooted .340, no ROM or anything
    2.Get droid 2 bootstrapper
    3.Download 2 part .596, then put them onto your sd card.
    4.Open droid 2 boostrapper, click bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery.
    5.Wipe data/factory reset. Wipe cache partition. Go to advanced-wipe davlik cache.
    6. Install the GB part 1 file
    7. Install the GB part 2 file.
    8.You are on GB, just reboot.

Helpful hint- If you just move the two files onto your sd card and your looking at them in recovery you won't be able to see the entire name of the file, so basically it cuts off the end that says part 1 or part 2, this really freaked me out because I couldnt tell which was part 1 to install first. In the end I used common sense to realize file part1 will be the one listed first on the list because its in alphabetical order.

Just ask if you have more questions.

3. Neslot35

Neslot35 Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    Male
    IT Service Desk tech.
    Idaho
    Great! I do have a nandroid i created prior to loading LIberty. To get back to that do I just do a facorty reset/wipe or however it's worded with clockmod and restore?

Also how does the GPS work in Apex rc2? That's one of the biggest reasons I'm dropping liberty. I have to have GPS to find clients houses and Liberty 2.0 won't allow me to enable the GPS to find my location with VZW Navigator.

4. mac16

mac16 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Hey I updated my post to clear thing up a little more.

If you do have a nandroid of stock rooted .340 that will save you a lot of time.

To load it simply go into bootstrap recovery and go to backup/restore. You will click restore, and then you will be shown a screen of your backups. They will be titled as the date you made that backup unless you changed the name. So just choose the one that is on the date you did it and restore that.

Then do the rest of the instructions.

Gimme a sec to check my GPS I havn't had a chance on Apex-GB

Okay ya had a GPS lock in just a few seconds.

5. Neslot35

Neslot35 Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    Male
    IT Service Desk tech.
    Idaho
    It's restoring now. I'll do the other directions you posted after and reply with the results.

6. Neslot35

Neslot35 Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    Male
    IT Service Desk tech.
    Idaho
    Okay so i restored back to my stock with nandroid. Now when I try to download Droid 2 bootstrap it says it's downloading then stops just as fast and I get nothing. It's stuck on starting download in the market.

I download the ISO file from the post above and SBF'd it back to .340 to see if that would help. Still won't let me download the D2 bootstrap.

Edit: Finally got bootsrap to download. I had to do a refund and repurchase it. Now when I do the bootscrap recovery option i get an error saying -

Failure
    Error running exec().
    Command: [su -c, ./data/data/com.koushikdutta.droid2.bootstrap/files/surunner.sh]
    Working Directory: null
    Environment: null

What now?

7. Neslot35

Neslot35 Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    Male
    IT Service Desk tech.
    Idaho
    woudn't let me edit my last post again. Found out that error is because I forgot to root after i SBF'd. It is now installing file 2 of the .596 GB. So far so good (knock on wood)!