• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROM recommendation

MEC2

May 1, 2010
Trying to squeeze a little longevity out of my Hero, so I guess a new ROM is about the only way left to do it. Rooted on .6 currently.

I looked at the CM and AOSP but if I read this properly, voicemail does NOT work on these, and that's a pretty important function on a phone. I do not want to setup some oddball forward to a third party voicemail function, I really want to maintain voicemail through a native voicemail app to Sprint.

So, with that caveat, what would be the recommendation for the best ROM that retains voicemail capability natively? Looking for a good performance and battery life tradeoff, and ditches the SprintBloat...

Appreciate any input,

MEC2
P.S. Something straigtforward to flash would be welcome as well, tried using the ROMManager just to do a Nandroid backup and it wouldn't even install the flash image, so something easy to install would be wonderful...

VMail does work on those 2 Roms, you simply need to download the apps and set them up, or you can use GoogleVoice, or Youmail free service much better IMO and you save your airtime minutes to listen to your messages with Youmail.

Trying to squeeze a little longevity out of my Hero, so I guess a new ROM is about the only way left to do it. Rooted on .6 currently.

I looked at the CM and AOSP but if I read this properly, voicemail does NOT work on these, and that's a pretty important function on a phone. I do not want to setup some oddball forward to a third party voicemail function, I really want to maintain voicemail through a native voicemail app to Sprint.

So, with that caveat, what would be the recommendation for the best ROM that retains voicemail capability natively? Looking for a good performance and battery life tradeoff, and ditches the SprintBloat...

Appreciate any input,

MEC2
P.S. Something straigtforward to flash would be welcome as well, tried using the ROMManager just to do a Nandroid backup and it wouldn't even install the flash image, so something easy to install would be wonderful...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am not sure, I am sure Andy will know as I do not use the Sprint Vmail service, I use Youmail which IMO is much better and free

Does the CyanogenMod 6 Sprint Visual Voicemail app also work on the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM? I would not want to lose access to that app after rooting. ;)

Is it something you just flash like a ROM or do you just install the .apk file via a file explorer? Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Appreciate any input,

MEC2

Sprint VVM works just fine with the 2 roms.

Here are the steps when flashing either CM6 or aosp while adding Sprint VVM, follow in order

Nandroid
Wipe everything, data, davlik cache and cache
Flash CM6 or aosp rom
Flash the gapps
Flash the Sprint VVM zip
Reboot phone

Upvote 0
Does the CyanogenMod 6 Sprint Visual Voicemail app also work on the AOSP Android 2.2 ROM? I would not want to lose access to that app after rooting. ;)

Is it something you just flash like a ROM or do you just install the .apk file via a file explorer? Thanks for your help.

I use Google Voice but yes, Sprint VVM will work on either rom;)

Upvote 0
Sprint VVM works just fine with the 2 roms.

Here are the steps when flashing either CM6 or aosp while adding Sprint VVM, follow in order

Nandroid
Wipe everything, data, davlik cache and cache
Flash CM6 or aosp rom
Flash the gapps
Flash the Sprint VVM zip
Reboot phone

Thanks for the info. Alas, I am stuck after flashing the AOSP Rom, as RomManager is no longer there, nor is the Market app where I downloaded it from... I don't seem to be in a position to flash the gapps file, even though it is present on the rood of the SD Card...

Will keep fiddling but if anyone has the answer to my problem it would be appreciated...

EDIT: - Okay, finally figured it out, I can see how people can screw this up...

Upvote 0
You can flash your Gapps from recovery( Power phone off, then hold the volume button down and turn phone on at the same time, you will be in recovery), no need to have the Rom manager, once you flash from recovery, you can download Rom manager again for that Rom, and also download titanium back that will back up all your apps, so next time to load a Rom your apps will be there, check the video in my signature

Thanks for the info. Alas, I am stuck after flashing the AOSP Rom, as RomManager is no longer there, nor is the Market app where I downloaded it from... I don't seem to be in a position to flash the gapps file, even though it is present on the rood of the SD Card...

Will keep fiddling but if anyone has the answer to my problem it would be appreciated...

EDIT: - Okay, finally figured it out, I can see how people can screw this up...

Upvote 0
Radio flash takes about 5 minutes sometimes, if not boot into recovery and flash it again from there

Thanks for that follow up, I flashed the radio update at XDA and CRATER... stuck on that ANDROID screen ad infinitum. With your post and the volume down hint I am trying to do a nandroid restore...

Yikes...

Upvote 0
Gave it a long time, I went to recovery and restored my Nandroid backup back to my 2.1 install, will maybe give the Cryo mod a whirl coming up. Thank God for the backup... restored everything perfectly...

When flashing CM6 make sure you have the gapps zip file, wipe everything first, then flash the CM6 and then the gapps, then reboot phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones