• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root <ROM> Samsung Gravity Smart T589 <10/26/11>

I need help installing this.

How exactly does the partitioning thing work? I followed a link on XDA on how to partition it, but then MiniTool Partition Wizard tells me my computer won't be able to read the partitioned SD card. If my computer can't read it, how the hell am I supposed to get the ROM onto it? Also, do I drag the zip file inside the SD card, or the contents of the SD card?

Thanks in advance. I tried winging it and nearly bricked my SD card, and it was a pain trying to get it working again. I'd like to be sure of what I'm doing before I do it again.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the custom ROM. I just installed it yesterday and it works flawlessly on my Fido network. The only tweaks I made so far was to remove the T-mobile apps. I've gotten used to the old themes though; is there any way to go back the old themes by removing the:

- themed icons through the IC Menu;
- themed framework to a black "Sense" theme; and
- themed battery and wireless icons?

Upvote 0
I need help installing this.

How exactly does the partitioning thing work? I followed a link on XDA on how to partition it, but then MiniTool Partition Wizard tells me my computer won't be able to read the partitioned SD card. If my computer can't read it, how the hell am I supposed to get the ROM onto it? Also, do I drag the zip file inside the SD card, or the contents of the SD card?

Thanks in advance. I tried winging it and nearly bricked my SD card, and it was a pain trying to get it working again. I'd like to be sure of what I'm doing before I do it again.

MiniTool Partition Wizard warns you that Windows will only read the first partition. This is why you must create the FAT32 partition first, and then the ~512MB EXT2 partition. The phone will see the 2nd partition; Windows will not.

After you create and format the partitions, you copy the update.zip to the drive letter assigned to the SD card, eject the SD card (via "safely remove hardware"), then put it in your phone. Now put it in the phone and follow the instructions in the OP to flash update.zip to your phone.

Upvote 0
This ROM not only worked perfectly to repair my boot-looped phone (wish I had seen the information about the two files that look like calendar files but aren't BEFORE I moved them :) ), but it is faster than it was! First time ever installing a ROM, excellent experience. Learned a lot too. I have had ZERO issues.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Wanted to let folks know - if you suddenly start having memory problems on your T589, look for a purple and black "Group Text" icon, app by ZipWhip. This was an unasked for push by TM and Google - massive memory killer. Just removing that app made the problem go away - but you have to have Root to uninstall it. Even so, it still shows in Play/Market as one of my installed apps, and updates appear in my update list. The APK/ODEX is not even there anymore, so not sure why the market shows it installed.

Upvote 0
Because everything in Arhtard's ROM is deodexed, the Dalvik cache still ends up getting full from all the libraries, even though the apps' dex files are linked to the SD card. I recommend using my ROM instead, which has everything odexed and will let you get the most out of your phone.

Ok, thank you very much for your answer, the Arhtard's ROM simply works great on my phone, I love the performance but the space issue is really a huge problem :( because at this time is being a while since I started in Android so I want all the app I can install in it xD. I will check your update ROM ;)

Upvote 0
Hey guys, after a while using this ROM I strongly recommend you for the space problem that 1) even when Link2SD tell you that the app was linked try to linked to the SD once again sometimes is like not everything was linked and 2) after you link the apps reboot your phone because I'm now with 60+ MB =) The last time I used this ROM with the same apps and not following this steps I always got space problems.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey, does anyone knows where I can find the basic wallpapers of this ROM? Is there a route on the device where this images are located? Specially the default one:
110980a1fc7d0e6802950a9f0f1f320cae1a6453971ef61d9264e3d8c6be22016g.jpg

Is the only one that doesn't appear on the availables to select

Upvote 0
Hey, does anyone knows where I can find the basic wallpapers of this ROM? Is there a route on the device where this images are located? Specially the default one:
110980a1fc7d0e6802950a9f0f1f320cae1a6453971ef61d9264e3d8c6be22016g.jpg

Is the only one that doesn't appear on the availables to select

copy framework-res.apk from the /system/framework/ folder to your pc and look for "default_wallpaper" inside the /res/drawables/ folder i believe it was. i use winrar for stuff like this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones