• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][Sense 2.3.3][May 27th] WildHeroWWE-1.2.1

TheBuzz

Feb 19, 2011
Yes, we can!
Now, we can have the new Gingerbread with Sense on HTC Hero!!!!

This is a port of the Wildfire S Europe (WWE) Gingerbread Sense release. Most of what works in this ROM is due to the amazing work by SebastianFM on his port to the magic.

Known issues:
Hardare issues:
- BT (did my best to get BT working but this ROM really hates the Heros BT )
- jogball notifications light
- hotspot
- Camcorder at "High (640x480) quality" is not supported by the Hero. It does work at "Low (320x240)".
Gfx library incompatibilities cause many games and map apps to crash - hopefully fixed in 1.2.1 update, thanks to SFM
Generally I feel this ROM is not 100% stable. It might be stable enough for some to use as a daily ROM, not for me.

Highly recommended to also flash this update straight away:
WildHeroWWE-1.2.1.zip (Android RTK) (incremental update from 1.2)
When upgrading from 1.2 to 1.2.1, please also do a dalvik cache wipe, full wipe is NOT necessary

Imporant: Full wipe is necessary always! Even when coming from version 1.0. If coming from version 1.1 you can try without a wipe, but I highly recommend you do a full wipe anyway - this ROM is buggy enough as it is and not doing a full wipe can cause many additional problems.

Downloads:
WildHeroWWE-1.2.zip (Android RTK)
WildHeroWWE-1.2.zip (Desean)
WildHeroWWE-1.2.zip (Multiupload)

Please also flash right away on top of it:
WildHeroWWE-1.1-FixInstall2SD.zip
(for those who are already using 1.1, no need to wipe for this fix but do have patience on the first boot after updating this)

Imporant: Full wipe is necessary always! Even when coming from version 1.0. If coming from version 1.1 you can try without a wipe, but I highly recommend you do a full wipe anyway - this ROM is buggy enough as it is and not doing a full wipe can cause many additional problems.

Optional updates:
HTC Salsa lock screen and Reboot menu - New lock screen from HTC Salsa leak, and a menu to allow direct reboot to recovery and boot loader. If you have something personal against the reboot menu, use the lock screen update from the SFM.

WildHero-1.0-RebootMenu.zip (works also on 1.1 but NOT on HTC Salsa lock screen) - Adds a reboot menu to boot into recovery and bootloader. I suggest flashing before first boot (in any case the first boot after flashing this will be longer than usual).

Changelog:

version 1.1
Complete rebuild of the port, this time based on the WWE release. Note that despite enormous efforts on my part to fix the issues that plague this ROM, I am not sure what exactly 1.1 fixes over 1.0 .

I did tweak the low memory and test it thoroughly this time, so the default values of the memory manager in 1.1 should behave much better than those of 1.0.

Let me know if you find anything else I fixed or ruined in 1.1.

version 1.0
Original build from the SFM 1.0 release.

* FlyKernel 12a (camera is not 100% stable on LV)
* Some hardware fixes: Wifi, Sensors, Lights (but not jogball), 5M in Camera
* USB fix for 2.6.29 kernels (added in version 1.0)
* Full app2SD
* Superuser and busybox (fixed in version 1.0)
* RTL fixes for hebrew (sorry the new version which supports Arabic is not ready yet for GB)
* Teeter (how else can you know the G-sensor works )
* HTC Hub (added and fixed in version 1.0)
* Optional reboot menu

Credits:
Well SebastianFM obviously, he did most of the work on this port
Fix for superuser is from here, credits to rmk

New update! ! ! Watch on top! :D
1.0 release was great! Now I'm going to flash 1.1

Remember, don't restore any kind of titanum backup because there are a lot of incompatibility with other roms. For exemple.... CyanogenMod full70 (Android 2.3.4 based), was not compatible in Phone Calls or SMS or Market. Just restore apps backup and nothing else if you want a good and stable rom on your Hero. It was a personal test about it.

Upvote 0
I'm Having a problem with the market the phone downlodes the app but dosent install it any idea??

I had a similar but worst problem with it. Downloading Angry Birds it never be installed and, a lot of times, the download started again automatically :(
I really don't know why.
With a lot of other ROMs I had a problem like your. Or the download started but with no install or it was in "waiting mode" for the download. To correct it I must reboot my Hero and market goes good. (really sorry for my terrible english lol I'm really tired today, I must go to sleep right now!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones