• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM ShiftS3ns3 by DroidTh3ory

xeno2011

Jul 12, 2011
I haven't seen much mention of this ROM on this forum, so I thought I would share my experience with ShiftS3ns3 by Th3ory (http://th3oryrom.com/forums/showthread.php?80-ROM-SHIFTS3NS3-V1.4F-(HTC-MOD-Kernel)-(9-3-2011)), Version 1.3x. I know that many speak of the heavy imprint of Sense and it's widgets, but I was looking for a ROM that would stay somewhat close to stock while adding some new twists,. I also enjoy the Sense layout and experience, and wanted to keep that feel with the ROM I chose.

While there are a few different nuances to Sense in this version (and there should be - part of the fun of it), it does provide the user with a lot of familiarity when coming from stock and flashing a new ROM for the first time. It's also quite quick and debloated as well. You also gain the advantage of not having any more unexpected OTA upgrades. I haven't run into any problems as of yet. Battery life - I get through a day easily with my usage, but I tend to charge every night no matter what.

There wasn't much to do after the standard preparation/install for ROM's (backup, download Radio's/ROM, clear cache/davlik cache/wipe data, install). I did need to download the some GPS items for spoken directions and the like, but that was pretty much it.

I've read that each phone has it's own "personality" when it comes to working with ROM's, but mine has played well with this one. I'd recommend it as a nice place to start if you like Sense and are just entering into flashing ROM's as I am.

This rom kicks ass. I wish I would have flashed this earlier!

Pros: better battery life (compared to stock and das bamf remix 1.8.6), sense 3.0 elements (messaging, lock screen), smooth, not glitchy, gps locks instantly.

Con: voicemail notification doesnt seem to pop up

Upvote 0
Yes, it still works flawlessly... GV is the only way to go for me.

I've been rocking ShiftS3ns3 for a while now.. (started when it was still Cl3anTh3ory). The phone performs flawlessly and I've gotten awesome battery.. most of the time. I find that restarting the phone once a day does wonders for it. Apparently there is/will be a new update right now/very soon (have to check the xda thread)

The ROM worked so well for me, I didn't even follow the step to wipe all data the first time flashing it (the instructions were ambiguous at the time) and I thought I'd try to get away with it. It worked! I still wiped dalvik/cache/system, but not data. I DO NOT recommend doing this.. I think I was very lucky.

Upvote 0
I didn't even follow the step to wipe all data the first time flashing it (the instructions were ambiguous at the time) and I thought I'd try to get away with it. It worked! I still wiped dalvik/cache/system, but not data. I DO NOT recommend doing this.. I think I was very lucky.

there is actually nothing really wrong with this. flshing a rom overtop of another same or very similar rom without wiping data is one way to "update" when new versions come up(assuming the rom doesnt do automatic wipes),and save yourself the install time.

before doing it its not a bad idea to make a nandroid backup,and just keep in mind that sometimes it doesnt work. if you flash a rom and have issues(FCs,things not working,etc.) remember that you dint follow directions and try a fresh,clean install before reporting "bugs" to the developer.

(and when i say you,i mean folks in general,not pickin on superstretch in any way,shape or form :))

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just read here on XDA ([Rom] [GB/NEW BASE] SHIFTS3NS3 V1.3X (HTC KERNEL MOD) (8/29/2011) - Page 153 - xda-developers) that DroidTh3ory is taking a break and no longer will be developing his ROM's, for an unspecified amount of time. Noooo! That's not good news. I'll still be using this ROM since I haven't had problems, but it does mean no updates for awhile. At least we still have a great ROM to use. Thanks to DT for all his work.

That sucks :( looks like I will be flashing liquids next release. While I love dt's work it being discontinued for a while is enough for me to go else where.

Upvote 0
I think this was the fastest nandroid restore I've ever done. Never saw so many repeated force close prompts after a full wipe. Buh bye.

i venture to say you had a bad download, or forgot to wipe something,or possibly restored system data. the FCs youre experienceing are unique to you... the rest of us flashed it and its worked perfectly fine ;)

if you dont like it thats fine,but its not fair to blame the rom or dev for FCs or issues when something else is going on.

Upvote 0
1.4x was just released.

I have not switched over this one yet, going to wait to see what people say since I am so happy with 1.3x

Yeah, sorry, you're right. I was going off DT's original post that said 1.5, but I guess it was a typo. Changed my previous post.

I'm also staying on 1.3x for now, at least until I can read more about what types of experiences others are having who jump in first.

Upvote 0
can someone tell me the correct steps to installing this rom. im coming off a manually mr2 update. and just rooted. im extra noob.

thanks.

Check out this thread and the third post by scotty85:

[HOW TO] and some root terminology - Android Forums

Read through it and let us know what questions you have. I followed his instructions and it worked great. Make a backup before deleting anything. One thing to note is that DroidTh3ory, the developer, instructs you to wipe cache, davlik cache, and data before installing. Following scotty85's walkthrough will get you there.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones