• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM sizes

Didn't realize how much bigger Evil Eris is than Aloysius. 117MB vs 95MB. went to load the apps I had with Aloy. and they didn't all fit.

So it's a matter of more memory, or faster ROM?

The amount of free memory you see when you look at Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> Internal phone storage is the amount of free space on the /data partition.

The size of the ROM .zip file will sort of affect the amount of free space, but it's not a one-to-one correspondence because most pre-loaded apps are stored in /system, not /data.

A phone that does not use a2sd (or aps2sd) has three primary folders that will grow in size depending on the the apps which are installed, and most of this data is concentrated in three folders in the /data partition:

1) /data/app/
This is where the (Market, not system) application ".apk" files are located - these are the file bundles which get downloaded initially from the Market when you install a new app.

2) /data/data/
This is where apps store their settings and data; each app gets it's own private folder for this, and the sizes will vary - the browser's folder always seems to get pretty big, but other things like Mail or SMS applications can get big depending on how much mail and text/MMS messages you keep on the phone.

3) /data/dalvik-cache/
This last folder is where the phone stores "compiled" versions of the apps you have on the phone - for both System and Market apps. The individual files in this folder get generated automatically, either when the phone boots up, or when you install or update an app.

On my phone right now (Aloysius V12), the size of those folders looks like this (#'s are in kB):

Code:
63156   /data/dalvik-cache
24986   /data/data
28040   /data/app   [COLOR=grey](actually, this is /system/sd/app because I am using a2sd)[/COLOR]

So, in my case, I have 63 Megs of dalvik-cache; I can't do anything to reduce this except remove apps.** Note that because the /data/dalvik-cache folder has pre-compiled apps for everything on the phone - apps which are both /system/app and /data/app - then, yes - if you have a lot of Apps in your ROM, even if they are in /system, they will eat up space in the /data partition.

Same goes for the /data/app folder - I can only reduce it's size by removing apps - or, by using A2SD to get them out of the /data partition.

One thing that is important to mention though, because it seems to be a common misunderstanding, is that your phone won't get faster because you have lots of space free in the /data partition. That's total hogwash. Even file accesses from /data are no slower or faster with a nearly-full partition than an empty one (because "fragmentation" is a penalty for hard drives, but not flash memory).

eu1

** Note that the dalvik-cache can be moved to the SD card, in exactly the same way that the apps folder is; obviously this would free up lots of space in the /data partition. Depending on the version of A2SD in use, this probably needs to be done manually while you are offline in the recovery boot. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't completely comfortable with linux administration however. It has also been reported that this causes problems when the SD card is a slow class 2 card.

Reactions: hookem
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones