• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM STABLE] Bugless Beast V0.5 Android 2.2 FRG22D

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 64 60.4%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
you have to look at this from his pov. he experienced the market issue (which multiple people have experienced including myself) , tried multiple kernels and could only flash one other that worked correctly, the brightness bug and it underperformed compared to other roms(we all know how user experience can differ depending on ones phone).
why would a rom reviewer leave any problems they experienced out of a review?? those are the things that should be put into the review the most. just bc you didn't experience the problems does not mean others will not.
the review is based on his experience with the rom and it sounds like he had a poor one and thus gave a poor rating. yankee was asked to be a rom reviewer. this is because he gives his honest opinion and is quite knowledgeable with all things related to the droid.
i say these things bc i understand that taking on this task opens oneself to flaming from other posters because their experience with said roms could be quite different.
if you disagree with the reviewer then say so and post your reasons why, but to make snide and insulting remarks is the wrong way to get your point across.

i personally would have given bb a 3.5 out of five because it performs well for me but the lack of customizations certainly detract.

Reactions: krouget
Upvote 0
i personally would have given bb a 3.5 out of five because it performs well for me but the lack of customizations certainly detract.

I personally would give bb a 5 out of five because it performs EXTREMELY well for me and the lack of customizations certainly enhances the experience. I like the fact that I get all the benefits of SetCPU without actually having to have the app (which I paid for long ago). I like that I can't make my notification LED flash like a Christmas tree on crack. I like that I don't have to spend 18 hours playing with my phone after I flash the ROM to get it set up where I like it. You and YankeeDudeL are missing the point of Bugless Beast, I think - it's supposed to be a combination of speed, stability, and customization, without going crazy in any one direction at the detriment of the other two.

If you want a million options that you probably honestly don't use even half of, then, by all means, go with Cyanogen Mod or Ultimate Droid. If you want pure speed, then go with LFY or Project Elite. But in terms of stability, there's only one ROM that sets the standard, and that's BuglessBeast. I've used every version of Bugless Beast since the second 2.1 version, and while not all of them have been great (Froyo 0.2 or 0.3 was a real stinker), this particular one is, and Yankee's biased rating (biased, but not baseless - there's a difference) seems unwarranted.

Upvote 0
now this type of a response i can deal with. it is also why there should be multiple reviews because not all users are looking for the same things in their phones.

as to what i actually use and do not use, i may not use all of ud8's settings but i certainly use more than bb has to offer.

as for the five out of five rating, really? five star rating? aside from the lack of features there are other issues. all of which i and many others have experienced and posted about (especially the music streaming issue- uhh) already so i will not go back into them. i am not one of those people to go into someone's thread and bad mouth their rom especially when i dont think it is really all that bad in the first place.in fact i have given this rom a lot of praise. a 3.5 isn't a bad rating it just leaves some room for improvement.

as for stability ud was completely stable and fast and i like to totally customize my phone. i use the said christmas tree lights to tell me the difference in notifications so im not checking my phone for text messages or missed calls when i think i received an important email.

my issue wasn't with the rom. i just hate it when people get flamed for stating their opinions based on their personal experiences. especially when they have been asked to do so.

yankees opinion was indeed biased, and that was based on this roms poor performance on his phone not anyone elses.

Upvote 0
Great, now I'm the Snooki of Android Forums. I at least wanted to be J-Wow.

I don't mind people taking shots at me. It's the internet, anonymity is like drinking till you're bulletproof. Especially since I knew a lot of people were going to be angry with this review. But I still had to put it out there.

I love Pete and his ROMs. Bugless Beast was the reason many of us, myself included, wanted to root in the first place. I've had almost every single one of his ROMs on my Droid since BB7.4 on 2.1 and believe me, if you weren't around back then, you'd have been amazed if someone told you Pete actually slept at night the way he churned out new versions (Holy runon sentence, Batman!). It's with pride that I can say that he was the first Dev that I've donated to.

The reasons I rated this so low can be directly related to the descriptions that accompany the ratings in the polls. And while I did put this in the review, I'll say it again for those who stopped after I typed "2": on MY Droid, this ROM is average at best. The speed has been matched by just about every other ROM out there, there's ROMs with equal or better battery life, and many ROMs out there offer more in the way of customization. However, there were more than a fair share of issues that I experienced that negatively impacted my view of this ROM. That made it Not Ready For Primetime. And, for the record, I flashed this ROM twice.

I'm I biased? Yes, definitely. I like having the ability to customize my Droid. It's why I rooted, to make this truly my Droid and not just some Verizon phone. I also like all the extras and ROMs that make things easier (like reboot options from the Power button, which have all but become a standard).

Everyone's a lil biased. People know what they like, what they want, and what they're looking for. Between that and the way our Droids seem to differ so much is the reason why 15 people were chosen to be ROM Revs.

I do have more to say, but I have to address a certain comment before doing so.

Upvote 0
I think that YankeeDudeL's review readily qualified for some harsh feedback.

2/5 for NON-ROM SPECIFIC issues? Give me a break. I made a mental note to completely ignore his feedback from this point on. I didn't have any issues with the market or apps loading onto my phone after install, so clearly any problem along these lines is not specific to this ROM, and should be left out of the review entirely. The fact that he cannot differentiate between useful and useless feedback makes his feedback USELESS on the whole.

I also prefer UD8 for the "bells and whistles" but a ROM that runs perfectly does not deserve a sub-failing grade.

Now onto you.

If you choose to read my above comment (which it sounds like you have no intention on doing, but I speak loud enough to be heard anyway), you'll now realize that no two Droids are alike. And if this is your first time coming to this knowledge, you must do an awful lot of skimming around here. The fact that I'm not the first to voice the cited issues only strengthens that assumption.

"I didn't have any issues with the market or apps loading onto my phone after install, so clearly any problem along these lines is not specific to this ROM"

This speaks volumes to your credibility. But this is a dangerous statement to make as people who do experience probs may not be encouraged to speak out about it, or may fear they've done something wrong when and may seek help to correct the issue only to further make things worse. This is not what this site, or RRS is about.

If you would like to read about RRS and what it all entails, the list of ROM Revs, and the parameters by which each review must be met, please see this thread: http://androidforums.com/droid-roms/133709-rom-rating-system-rrs-complete-rom-rating-index-rri.html Feel free to PM any ROM Rev and ask them to review a ROM you're interested in.

I have successfully stated my point of view and will no longer entertain those who wish to speak ill. There's people here that have comments and questions about BBv.5 that need be addressed.

Reactions: digdug1
Upvote 0
I hear you. While it is no doubt true that no two Droid's are alike, I also think that they're all a lot more alike than many people around here would have you believe. There seems to be a lot of technological mysticism bandied about around here including the notion that it's necessary to do multiple data/cache formats before a format is achieved. Unless the recovery programs are really THAT bad at performing the basic tasks they're designed for, this just doesn't make any sense.

It does appear that this market issue with BB5 was experienced by more than a few people, but there appears to be a common denominator since the same fix works (formatting dalvik cache right? I don't know for sure since I didn't have the issue). My guess is that it might have something to do with his attempt to have this ROM auto-restore apps, which should have been advertised as an experimental feature, an oversight on his part for sure.

But not everybody, and in fact the minority of folks experienced this problem. It was most likely due to something lingering on your SD card from a previous ROM... not entirely Pete's fault that he didn't take unknowns like what's on your SD into consideration. I apologize though, it was worth mentioning in your review and at least you also mentioned that there was an easy fix.

In the end, it was not your review I had a problem with, but the rating. The point is well made that we need more reviewers to post reviews to get multiple perspectives, but being pretty much the only active reviewer your opinions carry more weight than you might realize. Your score indicates that a ROM can only be one grade beneath this one, and this is a ROM that even you stated worked flawlessy for you after the initial market issue was cleared up (by an easy fix). I guess I would expect a 2/5 ROM to be one that is still usable despite constant force closes and other bugs, as 1/5 score is reserved for ROMs that are literally UNUSABLE.

All that said, I'd like to reiterate my apology. You don't have to review all these ROMs so you should be thanked for offering up your services at all. So seriously, thanks for contributing and I'll try to be more reasonable the next time I disagree with you :)

EDIT: The irony is when I initially rated this in the poll I rated it a 3, only one point higher than you.... but I think on a 5-point scale every point makes a big difference. After theming it and getting the right kernel on it at this point I might go as far as to rate it a 4, though battery life hasn't been stellar. But I'm still using it (in the meantime while waiting for UD9) and I like it a lot. Home screen redraw times are shorter on BB5 than on any other ROM including UD8 - but not by enough to matter all that much. BB5 has a few novel non-bell/whistle features such as smart automatic overclocking that give it some gusto.

For features I'd rate it a 3.5, for battery life I'd give it a 3, for speed/stability I'd give it a 5. So digdug's rating of 3.5 is more or less on the mark for me.

Upvote 0
as for the five out of five rating, really? five star rating?

Hyperbole, kid - I was exaggerating to make my point, which is simply this: different people have different ideas of what they want their phone to be/do, so what you might not like or consider a negative (lack of customization versus CM6 or UD8), someone else might think is ideal. Let's face it, with all that extra stuff that's written in by non-first party developers, the more stuff you add, the more chances you've got for things to mess up (and even Pete's auto-restore feature, or his initial attempt to use the volume buttons for reboot options, prove my point). I'd rate Bugless Beast in the 3.75-4 star range, to be quite honest. My battery life hasn't been as good as it was with BB 0.4, but that is LITERALLY my only complaint (and in terms of battery life difference we're talking minutes, not hours). And, for my Droid at least, this is by the far the smoothest and most stable ROM out there.

Upvote 0
I have tryed 4 differnt Slayer Kernals and all have not worked ... For some odd reason v0.4 battery last a long time and i loved that , but on here it just dies fast to me and thats on 4 differnt kernl's ive tryed and test :/ so idk i love this rom but i might go back to v0.4

The only kernel I got to work was what I believe to be the newest slayher kernel, which I DLed from ROM Manager. Have you tried that particular one, yet?

Also, make sure you're positive your Droid can handle the chosen OC. The smart automatic OCing leaves lil room for error. If you sometimes choose a higher kernel that may not be perfectly stable, but scale back (due to some versions not be available at preferred speeds) then you may encounter issues there as well.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering. . . .
does Interactive mode generally drain more battery than Ondemand for kernels?
i'm using LFY 1.6 with interactive on the 1000 MHz LV Slayher kernel and my battery life is terrible if I actually use the phone. I was at 40% and listened to pandora and last.fm for 10 minutes and then it went down to 20%.

Upvote 0
I have tryed 4 differnt Slayer Kernals and all have not worked ... For some odd reason v0.4 battery last a long time and i loved that , but on here it just dies fast to me and thats on 4 differnt kernl's ive tryed and test :/ so idk i love this rom but i might go back to v0.4

Have you tried other kernels? I'm using Chevy's ULV 1.1 and it works great for me. Gives me better battery life than Slayhers.

Upvote 0
Have you tried other kernels? I'm using Chevy's ULV 1.1 and it works great for me. Gives me better battery life than Slayhers.

Yeah, I've found that Chevy's kernels (especially the ULV if they will work for your phone) work best with Bugless Beast (other than the stock kernel). I know Slayher's kernels are all the rage these days, but I'd recommend those of you experiencing kernel issues at least give Chevy's a try. I'm running the ULV 800 mhz right now, and while my quadrant scores might not be quite as impressive as when I had the ULV 1.2 ghz, in terms of real world use, my phone is plenty fast enough and battery life and temperatures are better than with the stock kernel.

Upvote 0
Ever since Verizon pushed the second update my phone has been having non-stop force close issues and general lagginess (if that is a word!)

Thank you Pete! I rooted and installed BB 5 yesterday and have not had a single reboot, freeze, hicup since... I know short period, but it really was that bad!

Oh, and I took the extra measure of formatting my SD card as well as wiping cache and system... so far the Market and ROM Manager have been fine for me.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've found that Chevy's kernels (especially the ULV if they will work for your phone) work best with Bugless Beast (other than the stock kernel).
Interestingly enough, I've been using Chevy's kernels for BB .4 and previous versions, but I would get constant boot-loops with the ULV, while I didn't notice much difference in performance above 1GHz. So with a LV kernel, BB had bouts of where it would work fantastic, then others where it would get sluggish and unresponsive, or have other little annoyances. All in all, it just didn't match most of the comments on the forum, for impressiveness.

I've since switched to the P3 Froyo kernels for .5, and not only can I run ULV, but the phone is running near perfect. I'm getting no hiccups on screen unlocks or answering calls, and all transitions are running smoother. I'm still testing battery life, but otherwise, its almost a night and day difference. Perhaps if this continues, I'll see how the phone feels with something above 1GHz.

In a nutshell, I'm pleasantly surprised to see how much difference a change in kernel makes.

Upvote 0
anyone else getting FCs in beautiful widgets? the home widget will load and usually keep time, but it's basically FUBAR if you touch it.

other than that, fast and good battery life.

That's not happening here -- and I use it to get to forecasts, my calendar and alarm clock, so I touch the different parts of it pretty often.

Reactions: overcaffein8d
Upvote 0
That's not happening here -- and I use it to get to forecasts, my calendar and alarm clock, so I touch the different parts of it pretty often.

when i heard that i went to the market to uninstall and reinstall... TiBu must have not restored it quite correctly, because it said "purchased" and not "installed."

so i reinstalled it, and now it works great.

good call.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones