• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Starship Triumph WX-Class-435 (1/01/2013) The new Journey

Chairshot215

Android Expert
Aug 20, 2011
Special thanks go out to IssacJ, Tickerguy, Mantera, Whyzor, The Madman G60 & Bsydz for breaking ground on Source Code Development for the Motorola Triumph! With out the their hard work and efforts, none of this would be possible.

KNOWN ISSUES
∙ Camera rear video recording clicks during auto focus adding noise to recording
∙ Camera will sometimes Crash when switching from from the ffc Camera. Wiping the Camera data in Application Settings along with caches in recovery before using again will fix the issue. Since adding BSydz updated CM7 Kernel the issue is very infrequent.
∙ Deep Sleep mode does not work with WiFi or Bluetooth enabled
∙ HDMI does not work
∙ Flicker when watching videos in portrait

FAQ:
MTDEV CM7 FAQ v2.5 by MikeRL

Download: 1/01/2013
Starship_Triumph_WX-Class_435.zip
MD5:5e0999fa22c71f9abffc613a4654809a

Changes: 1/01/2013
. Rewrote the "init.triumph.rc" over from scratch based on the RC files extracted from the boot.img's found inside BSydz Triumph experiment Nandroid Backups.

. Added BSydz CM7 Kernel, do not flash the old Kernels zip as the boot.img inside contains an older version of the "init.triumph.rc" with different permissions. The Kernel itself is included so there would be no reason to flash it anyway.

INSTALL:
Follow these simple instructions if you’ve never flashed a ROM on the MT. If upgrading from a previous CM7, it is HIGHLY recommend to always do a full wipe data/factory reset & advanced -> dalvik-cache in recovery mode. If you simply wipe both caches and install the ROM you will be carrying over parts of the last ROM. If you need to carry over settings here is a written guide [Guide] How to Backup and Restore Apps and Data when installing new ROMs. Android Market/Play is not included for legal reasons, you MUST flash gapps.zip RIGHT AFTER flashing this ROM zip for the first time before rebooting, gtalk.zip (Google Talk) is optional. After booting into the ROM, you may remove some of the bloatware, see this thread.

chairshot will it cause anything to run this with bsyds revamped kernal that eliminate the camera issues on the other cm7

At the moment bsyds kernel will cause random reboots every few minutes. I have been doing some digging to figure out what changes had been made since the 10/15 CM7 build that is causing this to happen. The good news is I think I may have figured it out like 15 minutes ago on my ride home from the parentals and am about to test the theory out.

The quick breakdown on how the Proprietary files are laid out is the Rom uses files for Ril, Sensors or Hardware from the Sharp 2.3.5 variant and Media related files from the Cherry variant. The reasoning or thought process behind this set-up is first for Ril is that besides the Sharp 2.3.5 variant the other GB variants including Cherry do not use "libril-qc-qmi-1.so" which we currently need for data so the file would need to be added in from either Sharp 2.3.5 or Stock or probably even one of Bsyds froyo variants. With Bsyds froyo variants I'm honestly not sure if they had already been included or he had needed to add them in. I think they may have already been included though so off subject but if this is true I don't think porting Sharp 2.3.5 would be very difficult if not for the Kernel. So anyhow because of this and that I try to keep full sets of files from one source used the Sharp 2.3.5 files for Ril. There are 4 other files on TG original list of needed Proprietary files needed for Ril also not found in the other GB variants besides Sharp 2.3.5 like "libqmiservices.so". I have found that these other 4 files can be removed and data will still work as long as "libril-qc-qmi-1.so" has been added but because these files seem to in some way relate to "qmi" in some manor felt at the time to just use the full set from Sharp 2.3.5 in addition to the needed "rild", "libril.so" and "libril-qc-1.so" files.

The reasoning behind using the other Sensor / Hardware files from Sharp 2.3.5 was honestly because when I started reworking the Proprietary files I honestly put more of an emphasis on a few things I would later learn are not as important as I had thought at the time. Also thought at some point we could use the 2.3.5 Kernel so wanted to use as as many of the Proprietary files as I could from Sharp 2.3.5. Not to mention that when we posted the 2 test Roms a few month back without knowing what Rom was using Sharp 2.3.5 files and what Rom used Cherry files everyone picked the Rom using the Sharp 2.3.5 files by a very large majority. Anyway with the history out of the way I continued to use the Sharp 2.3.5 files for Sensors and such because although using the same files from either Cherry, Spice or WellcoM worked they added a few extra red error lines on the Logcat. Removing "TARGET_USES_OLD_LIBSENSORS_HAL := true" from the BoardConfig cut the Logcat errors in half but found including the Sharp 2.3.5 "sensors.default.so" not found in the other GB Variants eliminated the Logcat errors altogether. Also along with everyone who voted on the blind taste test Roms thought The Rom felt faster and more smooth using these files.

The reasoning behind switching over to using the Cherry files for Media was both an attempt at improving the Camera performance as we use the Cherry Camera libs and because there are half as many files including so to speak dependency files making them much easier to work with.

Sorry felt the history and thought process behind how I put together the current set of Vendor & Device files may be useful down the line but getting back to the actual question before the 10/15 build I had been able to replace all the Froyo files with those from the Sharp 2.3.5 variant with "rmt_storage" being the exception. Looking at the commit it wasn't until 2 days after posting the 10/15 CM7 build that I figured it out. Half by luck and half thanks to the existence of Google Translate by making a few edits in the init.triumph.rc. Otherwise using the file caused the same random reboot issue every few minutes I now see using bsyds kernel with any of the post 10.15 CM7 builds.

https://github.com/Chairshot215/device/commit/5fa8ea5f32da1a8d83ca29bca27611a3faf8f5d2

So anyhow I am about to test this theory but have a pretty good feeling this is what is causing the issue flashing the Kernel with any of the post 10.15 builds so going to either check out the init files used in the boot image or just try building with the old "rmt_storage" and flashing the Kernel. If I am correct it should not be a difficult fix so will check back in a bit once I have check it out.

Upvote 0
Working on ROMs on Christmas Eve and possibly Christmas day? MTDEV has once again busted its ass. Thank you Chairshot.

Its for the most part just a themed version of the existing MTDEV CM7 code so not much work was needed but thanks. Wasn't until leaving for the Hobbit had it occurred to me the Op included your FAQ so should have probably asked permission first, sorry about that.

Upvote 0
No. Not a permission issue. The FAQ was a collaborative work. Remember, I am not a copyright Nazi. I just want you to include the updated FAQ as a link here and in MTDEV CM7 in the OP. The URL has changed, but it's still on the domain. It has been bumped to version 2.5. For future reference, anything related to that FAQ is open source, and should be under the same license as any of MTDEV's projects. Apache, I believe. Just you guys and I will have to make sure nobody on another site shares it and removes our names from the credits or attaches a virus or charges for it or does something nasty like that. Otherwise, it is free for everyone to edit and remix. I am an open source nut, so that FAQ is free to be tweaked.

Upvote 0
If that is the case then it is the ramdisk causing the issue. You could extract the zImage and put it in the boot.img, or even extract the zImage and rename it to kernel and put it in the device files when you build. That should fix it either way. It is more than likely the init.triumph.rc which is used to create the ramdisk when it makes the boot.img when you build.

Upvote 0
If that is the case then it is the ramdisk causing the issue. You could extract the zImage and put it in the boot.img, or even extract the zImage and rename it to kernel and put it in the device files when you build. That should fix it either way. It is more than likely the init.triumph.rc which is used to create the ramdisk when it makes the boot.img when you build.

Yeah I double confirmed last night by putting the Sharp 2.3.5 "rmt_storage" back in extracting just the Kernel from the boot.img and putting it in the device files using the current init.triumph.rc and everything was all good. . I know you are putting some work into the Kernel but for the Moment would you mind if I included the Kernel posted on the CM7 thread in the Rom? I would say it is definitely stable from what I have experienced in addition to the feedback from the CM7 thread.

Upvote 0
Yeah I double confirmed last night by putting the Sharp 2.3.5 "rmt_storage" back in extracting just the Kernel from the boot.img and putting it in the device files using the current init.triumph.rc and everything was all good. . I know you are putting some work into the Kernel but for the Moment would you mind if I included the Kernel posted on the CM7 thread in the Rom? I would say it is definitely stable from what I have experienced in addition to the feedback from the CM7 thread.
That's what I put this stuff out for. None of us have the time to do everything. You are welcome to use anything I post for what ever use you see fit.

I have been doing some searching and have found that we use a generic huawei kernel, I have found at least 4 more kernels that are exactly the same as ours but with slight differences. Basically all the FB0, SF8, SH8, SF4 and so on all use the same kernel, and all have different dates as far as maintaining them goes. So we should be able to use any of them with our phone with the right defconfig and use their drivers also. I got another U8850 ROM(SF8) to boot and work on our phone, just needed an fb0 kernel for touch screen, but booted fine with the original kernel, just couldn't do anything til the zImage swap. The C8850 that I posted in the X6 encyclopedia is SH8. I see a lot of new changes referring to fix camera fail, and changes to auto focus, The camera works in all the ports that I have gotten to boot, so I think we may be able to use them in ICS possibly, considering the changes have to do with changing pmem sizes to fix camera crash.

Any way gotta get some stuff done around the house.

Upvote 0
Folks...Love the "Starship..." Big problem for me...I forgot to do the "Gapps Zip," and now had to get a "Play Store" app from another source...It installed fine...HOWEVER...I cannot get the"Accounts & SYnc" to recognize my Gmail account so that I can make it work...Do I need to strip everything and re-install? Thank you for your help...I am 60 years old and spend 6 hours trying to fix this...I love to learn, but this is out of my pay scale...Thank you all if you can help...I don't mind starting over if I have too, as your instructions are great...R.J.

Upvote 0
Please don't put out your email in the open like that. Spammers will have a field day with it. Anyhow, you should wipe the cache and dalvik, format system, and reflash the ROM and gapps. Then let the play store auto update in the background. Trust me, it works. You probably need Google's sync to work, which means you need GAPPs. Anyhow, GAPPs is much more than the Play Store, trust me, even though it doesn't look like it.

Reactions: Chairshot215
Upvote 0
Noticed that Chairshot has fixed some issues that I experienced in MTDEV CM7 before. But one or two new issues propped up. Settings stick now under Performance in Helm control, and reboots and freezes are less and less common by the build. That all, is great, but now I've noticed that Wifi hotspot doesn't always work perfectly (maybe because I switched carriers, more people should test this for me) and also that after enabling and then disabling airplane mode, you have to manually scan the Wifi to get networks to appear and connect again, even if you enable Wifi. I believe this is just a slight usability bug, or it could be normal behavior. If the community could test these two things, we could get an idea of what few bugs remain that we don't yet know of. Please help a bit. It is appreciated. Also, I do not believe the new kernel is included. Trying to flash the old one will lead to serious issues, so don't do it.

Upvote 0
OK so I lied about the updates being few and far between but honestly as I was waiting for the Evo to arrive I had an epiphany of sorts for some of the projects I have been working on. Most notably is re-writing the "init.triumph.rc" from scratch. Had been working on it for a pretty long time but could never git 3g working. Needed to hold off on activating the new phone a day to work on it but think it may be worth it in the end. Couldn't have been something like wifi that had not worked, nooooo! Also a few things for Bluetooth. I know in the past I could have gone out to lunch if trying to transfer an entire Roms update zip from my laptop but just gave it a test and it only took a minute maybe two less then had I done it over USB. Also for some reason wanted to change the date in the header to 2013. So until next time, Bwahahaha!

https://github.com/Chairshot215/device/commit/8732fe091fb14a3f988524cb0853e6d462f77aff

Also, yes BSydz Kernel is included in the Roms update.zip. Because of changes made in the "init.triumph.rc" flashing the zip will cause just a few issues. Rebooting every 2 minutes being one of them. Otherwise the Kernel itself was extracted and put in the device files in place of the old kernel before compiling the Rom.

Reactions: Mancow60
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones