1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rom that has everything working and improvements?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jonnyboy2, Apr 28, 2013.

1. jonnyboy2

jonnyboy2 Newbie
    None

Dec 31, 2011
    Hi, I just came over from the HTC Evo V with VM, very excited about my N4!

Just rooted, and now looking at ROM's. There are an incredible amount of roms, and I can't really tell the difference.

Is there a ROM that has everything working perfectly, but still offers battery/performance improvements? Any customization is a bonus for me, I don't really need much besides stock. I'm just happy to be on a phone that's supported lol.

I'm looking to install PA if everything is supported on that, or perhaps AOKP or CM10.1

Advertisement

jmar likes this.
  2. xploPR

xploPR Android Expert
    None

Mar 12, 2012
    Richmond, VA.
    Welcome aboard, i also made the switch from VM, im running CarbonRom for a week already and to be honest is the only rom i have tried for the N4 & i don't feel the need of trying another one, it runs so smooth and stable, plus the goodies that it brings along like pie control, dark carbon option, plus a bunch more of features. And battery life is awesome.

jmar likes this.
  3. jmar

jmar Nexican
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    San Jose, CA
    Most ROMs that I know of (Carbon, CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, JBSoucery) or have tried (AOKP and Jelly Belly) are stellar in most or all categories.

If you know how you want to use your phone or if you want to explore endless customization you can peruse the first post of each ROM thread to get a better idea of what fits your needs.

Here is a good link to start.

Android Forums Nexus 4 All Things Root Sticky

There are also some ROMs not in that sticky that are maintained by members here at AF in this very root forum which can provide more detail for you. Hope this helps! If you need more help let us know!

jmar

4. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Engineer
    A-T-L-A-N-T-A
    The only ROM I've used that I've found has all the customizations a person would actually use and want is AOKP. I could give an ish about tablet mode, half screen mode, blah blah blah that other ROMs do

Started out with AOKP and unless something comes out that just blows it out of the water, I doubt I will ever use anything else as my DD.

5. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    IN, USA
    This is a Nexus device. Unless the ROM dev has no idea what they doing or you're running a ROM in the Alpha stage it should be perfectly stable. All the code is open source.

There is no 1 ROM to end all other ROMs. Just look at the ROMs available and choose the one that fits your needs. Try out a few of them if you're not sure.

jmar likes this.
  6. SemeteryRocker

None

I agree wholeheartedly. Carbon is amazing. There are a lot of great ROMs available honestly but Carbon seems to nail stability, speed and battery life (a good kernel helps here a lot), and offer tons of customization. I've tried lots of the available options and Carbon has hands down been my favorite. I was previously addicted to Xylon, and it's great too, but Carbon seems to get some of the bugs and features done a bit less bug-free.

I prefer Faux's kernel personally, it gives me amazing battery life with his recommended settings. But to each their own as always. I was on Franco's for the longest time, with switching back and forth along the way, but always end up back on faux. It keeps things moving along nicely and seems to give me pretty superior battery life. It can also be tweaked greatly to just be fast and put battery life as a second priority. It's very versatile.

7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I've tried a fair few and after spending the majority of my time with Carbon (I'll no doubt end up with it again), I'm giving SlimBean a shot again.

You can't go wrong with either IMO.

8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    I've tried a few (including Carbon) and found AOKP to run the best on my phone (and fitting my wants/needs).

AOKP will get my vote.

9. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Another virgin mobile refuge. I liked the keyboard in the aokp ROM I was running but it didn't have the power toggles in the status bar so I went back to cm10.1 which just released milestone 1 today.

Having come from the optimus elite with nothing but stock ROMs the nexus 4 is awesome. I could flash a ROM every day of the week and still not get them all.

10. Lanman1978

Lanman1978 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Personally I keep coming back to Cyanogenmod no matter which ROM I have tried. CM is very stable and is updated regularly.

11. Banished Angel

None

Jan 12, 2012
    IN, USA
    I'm running Cyanogenmod RC2 just because it's practically finished (RC2) and because my go to ROM, Paranoid Android, is in the Alpha stages right now. I miss a few things from PA, but there are also a few nice features i'm enjoying such as the read and quick reply messaging options.

12. keisukehonda

keisukehonda Member
    None

Apr 13, 2012
    Tried out a few ROMs but ended up going back to Cyanogenmod as well. It provides extra customization options compared to stock android (status bar, quick settings, etc.) without making the settings seem overly cluttered. I also really like the apollo music player it comes with as Google Play Music really bugs me with its emphasis on the streaming service and not the actual music player.

As for the kernel, I strongly recommend franco kernel; it really improved the battery life on my phone.

13. plasticarmyman

plasticarmyman Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    Male
    AOKP is my go to....if you want superior customization I would suggest PACrom.....PA is also great for visual customization....as for Kernels...I use Faux tbm...undervolted -75 globally...and I get excellent battery life...faux's kernel seems to have much note customization options through his app whereas Franco ha slightly less....but both seem to run on this beast fine...

My only grip with AOKP is no lock screen wallpapers...but other than that no complaints

14. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Male
    Gloucestershire
    The temptation to root was always there and since then I've been using Paranoid Android, but I've also been looking at the Carbon rom.

15. kurtyyyyyy

kurtyyyyyy Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2012
    Do you use stable or nightly for francos?

16. Banished Angel

None

Jan 12, 2012
    IN, USA
    Nightly. Always the latest nightly :D

If you buy his updater app ($5) it alerts you when a newer version of the kernel is available and lets you tweak just about every setting you can think of (over/underclock, undervolting, gamma/color control, volume boost, and many other misc. settings).

kurtyyyyyy likes this.
Tags: