• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] The Fourth (and Final?) Wave | Droid Incredible

Crap, please help.. I just read the part about doing a Nandroid backup and didn't do 1 because I didn't see it until now.. I've done them in the past but it's saved on my computer at home and I"m at work.. Please advise how to resolve this, I can't boot past HBOOT.

In Recovery mount USB and copy over Wave4 and then install the update.zip

You can also downgrade the hboot back to fix this.

Upvote 0
Worst case scenario, would it work if I just wait until I get home from work, download Fourth Wave to my computer, mount sdcard and plug phone in, copy Fourth Wave to root of SD, and then install file from zip? Would that let me get the update and back to the phone again?

It sounds like you are in a hboot loop like I was. I was able to get out of it by loading a rom I had on the sdcard from Clockwork recovery. I hadn't copied fourth to the sdcard yet; so I had to use an older rom I luckily had on the card.

The problem you might have is if you don't have a rom on your sdcard. I doubt you will be able to mount the card using a usb cable to the phone while you are stuck in the hboot loop. You may need to find a card reader, or other phone you can use to put a rom on the sd card to use in recovery.

good luck.

Upvote 0
Yeah.. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I can mount USB.. I'm able to get in to clockwork and stuff no problem so I'm maintaining hope that'll work. I won't be home from work for a long while though so the anticipation is killing me. The problem is I only have a 2GB sd so I usually just copy and paste stuff in to an Android folder I have on my PC as like a backup.. so if I can't mount I'll have to use your alternate method of a micro reader or another phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah.. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I can mount USB.. I'm able to get in to clockwork and stuff no problem so I'm maintaining hope that'll work. I won't be home from work for a long while though so the anticipation is killing me. The problem is I only have a 2GB sd so I usually just copy and paste stuff in to an Android folder I have on my PC as like a backup.. so if I can't mount I'll have to use your alternate method of a micro reader or another phone.
If you can get in clockwork, you should be good to go with mounting USB. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I unfortunately don't have an adapter though, which is why I'm hoping the mount USB option works. Otherwise I'll have to find someone willing to let me use their phone so I can put my SD card in there to load the file.

The other issue is that I'm at work and I'm not allowed to plug a USB device in to the computer here, so I have to wait until I get home.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I unfortunately don't have an adapter though, which is why I'm hoping the mount USB option works. Otherwise I'll have to find someone willing to let me use their phone so I can put my SD card in there to load the file.

The other issue is that I'm at work and I'm not allowed to plug a USB device in to the computer here, so I have to wait until I get home.

I had the hboot loop, but was able to get into Clockwork and mount usb to copy wave4 over to usb.

I flashed wave4 but somewhere in the process my SD card got corrupted :eek: and had to format it.

It's running great now!

Upvote 0
Crap, please help.. I just read the part about doing a Nandroid backup and didn't do 1 because I didn't see it until now.. I've done them in the past but it's saved on my computer at home and I"m at work.. Please advise how to resolve this, I can't boot past HBOOT.

I was at the same point as well. I had updated to hboot .92 and couldn't load the ROM anymore. I ended up downgrading back to .77 in order for the phone to load up. Needed to get some backups of stuff before wiping data.

I pulled the hboot file from the Stock 2.1 ROM and was able to downgrade that way.

Upvote 0
I'd like to remove a majority of the apps that are listed in the /data/app folder, but i'm not able to find them. When I look through Astro, that folder appears empty. I also looked in system/data/app and same thing. Am I missing something?
I've not gotten Astro to work very well with the system directories, it isn't very root friendly. Coming from a Linux background, I'm very comfortable with the command line, so I just use adb shell or terminal emulator.

Upvote 0
I've not gotten Astro to work very well with the system directories, it isn't very root friendly. Coming from a Linux background, I'm very comfortable with the command line, so I just use adb shell or terminal emulator.

Yeah, I am using te adb shell, but I'm saying when I look in the file where those apps are supposed to be store, I'm not seeing them. So I don't know what path to use for my command line and I get that the file or directory doesn't exist.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I am using te adb shell, but I'm saying when I look in the file where those apps are supposed to be store, I'm not seeing them. So I don't know what path to use for my command line and I get that the file or directory doesn't exist.
I know what you are saying. I just can't get Astro to list those directories. You can list the files in adb shell:
Code:
 ls /system/app
Note there is a space after the ls.

Root Explorer will work with those directories.

Upvote 0
I know what you are saying. I just can't get Astro to list those directories. You can list the files in adb shell:
Code:
 ls /system/app
Note there is a space after the ls.

Root Explorer will work with those directories.

Through playing around, I actually realized he made this even easier on us than I originally thought. You don't even need to run anything in adb or emulator. If you look up these apps that he listed in the OP through Settings>Applications>Manage Applications, when you select them, the option to uninstall is now active. I did it last night, worked no problem.

On another note, does anyone know which .apk controls the 'News and Weather' app? I was able to remove news which was NewsReader, but I don't know which one ties to that.

Reactions: Skorpios1027
Upvote 0
Through playing around, I actually realized he made this even easier on us than I originally thought. You don't even need to run anything in adb or emulator. If you look up these apps that he listed in the OP through Settings>Applications>Manage Applications, when you select them, the option to uninstall is now active. I did it last night, worked no problem.

On another note, does anyone know which .apk controls the 'News and Weather' app? I was able to remove news which was NewsReader, but I don't know which one ties to that.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Don't know off hand. I'll have to look into it.

Upvote 0
Flashed from third wave to fourth wave today and encountered some problems...first the hboot issue but updated to .92 and proceeded, but immediately upon starting up after fourth wave loaded it gave a force close error for gmail. cannot open it at all now and i only have one version backed up that apparently won't work here. Is there a version available to pull from somewhere that works? Not on market of course, so not sure how to proceed *rom newb*

Thanks..

Upvote 0
update - found a gmail 2.2 apk on xda and installed it, works now...curious as to why the issue came up in first place though. Life's little mysteries. ROM seems great so far, as was third wave...

I think it might have something to do with the Gmail app version you had previously installed if you didn't do a data wipe. I upgraded from third wave with the new gmail and forgot to wipe data, and I had 2.2.1 installed. Fourth wave comes with just 2.2. For some reason I think this caused the error because I had the same problem. Then I did a fresh install of fourth with wiping data, flashed gmail to 2.2.1 and now it works fine.

Reactions: johnchad14
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones