• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] [THEME] Sense Rom Optimus M

Is the latest update working for you?

• Total voters
Thanks in large part to this fellow, my optimus m is almost perfect. Bluetooth works like a charm. I'm learning how to dig around in and modify APK's somewhat and so I did a UOT kitchen theme, but went back into what I downloaded and replaced some of their icons with some of Joneidy's, except re-colored into a different blue to match the rest of the UOT icons color. Still got some work left on that though. I figured out how to flash system fonts as I please and I've got a decent one now but may change it again. I have a really cool friend who gave me his old 8 GB micro SD (he upgraded to a 16 GB lol), so now I'm finishing that transition. All in all, this is all very very cool, and makes it hard to resist the urge to do this all day instead of things like my Differential Equations/Linear Algebra homework LOL.

Upvote 0
Last question [sorry to bother you] but will it be improvement to the ROM, a new ROM or what. My main concern is that I would have to start all over again, restore with Titanium Backup, refix the settings and all that jazz.

Nobody would be forcing you lol. And it'd be the same either way. If you run a nandroid image before you wipe, you at least have something to instantly go back to if things go wrong.

Upvote 0
For those unaware, I just learned about this (so in that regard maybe I'm the n00b lol), but Joneidy's awesome ROM uses Darktremor A2SD for A2SD functionality. Using Froyo's native A2SD to transfer them will a) not let you transfer as many apps, and b) will still run them from internal storage. Since this rom already comes with Darktremor, go on to the market and download "A2SDGUI"--it's free and it allows you to control Darktremor MUCH easier than doing it through adb shell with commands, and will make it much easier to free up internal storage if you're having a problem with that. Be careful though, and if you're unsure if doing a particular move is safe, ask or google it first. I was able to move all my apps with Darktremor, but I still only had 61 mb of internal memory left over. I then was able to use the GUI to move the Dalvik cache to SD EXT (the A2SD partition), and now I have 140 MB of internal storage free! :D

Upvote 0
For those unaware, I just learned about this (so in that regard maybe I'm the n00b lol), but Joneidy's awesome ROM uses Darktremor A2SD for A2SD functionality. Using Froyo's native A2SD to transfer them will a) not let you transfer as many apps, and b) will still run them from internal storage. Since this rom already comes with Darktremor, go on to the market and download "A2SDGUI"--it's free and it allows you to control Darktremor MUCH easier than doing it through adb shell with commands, and will make it much easier to free up internal storage if you're having a problem with that. Be careful though, and if you're unsure if doing a particular move is safe, ask or google it first. I was able to move all my apps with Darktremor, but I still only had 61 mb of internal memory left over. I then was able to use the GUI to move the Dalvik cache to SD EXT (the A2SD partition), and now I have 140 MB of internal storage free! :D

Okay I am new at this but I am learning fast. My question is I purchased App 2 SD pro and this apps is garbage (I am not speaking of AS2DGUI). I was able to move more apps working with Terminal than App 2 SD Pro could. So I know this maybe just a dumb question but will having App 2 SD Pro installed cause conflicts? I uninstalled it because it just seemed to be a glorified version of Froyo -> Settings -> Application move to SD function. Besides with terminal I was able to move the Dalvik cache to SD EXT. I have 64 apps and 170 MB of internal memory. I will get the GUI but I am a command line kind of guy. Thank in advance

Upvote 0
I'm unfamiliar with App 2 SD pro, but APlus informed me and others have said that it is a bad idea to try and use native Froyo apps2sd along with A2SD scripts like darktremor, because they simply do not work the same way. If I understand correctly, Froyo will still run them from internal storage, so there is more of them left on the phone. Darktremor moves the whole app just about, and puts a shortcut in internal storage so Android can still run the app as if it were on the phone. If you honestly prefer plugging in your phone and doing this all through adb shell, go for it lol. This GUI just makes things simpler, and is just a gui for controlling the darktremor scripts already installed. From what I've read though also, with darktremor, once you have it set to have apps on SD, all the new apps you install automatically go to SD.

I'm open to anyone's corrections on this. :)

Reactions: rbruce25
Upvote 0
I'm unfamiliar with App 2 SD pro, but APlus informed me and others have said that it is a bad idea to try and use native Froyo apps2sd along with A2SD scripts like darktremor, because they simply do not work the same way. If I understand correctly, Froyo will still run them from internal storage, so there is more of them left on the phone. Darktremor moves the whole app just about, and puts a shortcut in internal storage so Android can still run the app as if it were on the phone. If you honestly prefer plugging in your phone and doing this all through adb shell, go for it lol. This GUI just makes things simpler, and is just a gui for controlling the darktremor scripts already installed. From what I've read though also, with darktremor, once you have it set to have apps on SD, all the new apps you install automatically go to SD.

I'm open to anyone's corrections on this. :)

Thank you for the kind answer. I followed your instructions and I have the A2SDGUI, and you are quite correct. It will take me sometime to not want to type archaic line of text and just push a couple of buttons to get things done LOL. But your observation was correct they do in fact work differently, and The Froyo script does in fact only move certain items a hack of the program while A2SD scripts like darktremor does move the app and creates a symbolic link, that is what I was doing with terminal moving the apps and then creating the symbolic link, A2SD does this with the click of an icon nice:)

Well thank you. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and using the A2SDGUI I have been able to install 67 Apps and have internal memory of 170 MB free of 210, that and to shabby. I have a 32 GB SDCARD so I have plenty of space to play with.

Thank you Kind sir
Robert

Upvote 0
I figured as much my question is though to flash this update do I first need to delete the kernel i already flashed before?

No, there's no need. It will be replaced automatically when you wipe everything and flash the new rom. So after proceeding as normal for installing a new rom, the only thing you'll need to do is get SetCPU on there and set your preferred overclock rate like you had before.

I found out through experience, but each time you flash a rom, there's a kernel with it. Previously, it's been the stock kernel, requiring anyone who wished to overclock to install the OC kernel afterward, but now he's included it, so it'll do it all in one fell swoop.

Reactions: det1726
Upvote 0
Thank you for the kind answer. I followed your instructions and I have the A2SDGUI, and you are quite correct. It will take me sometime to not want to type archaic line of text and just push a couple of buttons to get things done LOL. But your observation was correct they do in fact work differently, and The Froyo script does in fact only move certain items a hack of the program while A2SD scripts like darktremor does move the app and creates a symbolic link, that is what I was doing with terminal moving the apps and then creating the symbolic link, A2SD does this with the click of an icon nice:)

Well thank you. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and using the A2SDGUI I have been able to install 67 Apps and have internal memory of 170 MB free of 210, that and to shabby. I have a 32 GB SDCARD so I have plenty of space to play with.

Thank you Kind sir
Robert

You're welcome :)

Upvote 0
You're welcome :)

Your very welcome.

Now for my last question. I have searched the internet to learn as much as I could about A2SD, but from all the information I have sifted though, I have become somewhat confused about A2SD, I also I think that I may have screw the pouch.

1. I have two 3FMUSD32GBC10-R SDCARD (32 GB Class 10)
2. I have the A2SDGUI and it appears to be working
a. Terminal
b. su
c. a2sd check
3. The Sense ROM come with Titanium Backup ( I have Pro Key)
4. Titanium Backup has a move to SD option
5. It listed that I had 43 apps that could be moved (so i did it)
6. My internal memory is still 170MB and I have 123 to 130 apps installed.

Now my question, from what I read the Titanium Backup (after I did the move) come with the native Froyo move to SD and is different from the DarkTremor A2SD. The Native Froyo uses a secure.android folder and the DarkTremor A2SD uses the sd-ext flolder. So what I have done again is mixed the two correct?

It does not seem to bother the phone just slow boots but how often do you power off.

So please be specific and I don't mind if you call me and idiot it is perfectly okay I learn from my mistakes.

Thanks again.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yeah don't use Titanium Backup's feature for that. Just use DarkTremor. But if you have already used Titanium's or Froyo's native, run an a2sd check in adb again, and you'll probably see that for apps and/or private apps, there will be a "!" next to an item for both of them that says roughly that you're still running apps from int. storage, and it will say to enter the command "a2sd reinstall" to correct it so the apps run from SD storage. That's how it went for me at any rate.

In A2SDGUI, it's the same thing I believe if you go in and on the A2SD tab, you see what it says about whether or not your apps are on SD, and if it says they're not, tap the button and let it work, and it will move them all to SD.

Does that help? lol

Reactions: rbruce25
Upvote 0
Hey all, my phone boots way faster since i've done true a2sd, moved dalvik cache to sd ext, and set to run zipalign on every boot. the boot animation gets to load, and then barely gets to run through smoothly after it's loaded, and then the lock screen comes up. that fast! This phone has never booted that fast. I'm quite pleased.

Speaking of boot sequences, I've changed boot sound again with a recent trance song I've found and quite like. It's the chorus of "On A Good Day" by OceanLab: ‪Oceanlab - On A Good Day‬‏ - YouTube

Quite a change from my previous one, which was the first few seconds of "Nightmare" by Avenged Sevenfold: ‪Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare [Official Music Video]‬‏ - YouTube

Upvote 0
Yeah don't use Titanium Backup's feature for that. Just use DarkTremor. But if you have already used Titanium's or Froyo's native, run an a2sd check in adb again, and you'll probably see that for apps and/or private apps, there will be a "!" next to an item for both of them that says roughly that you're still running apps from int. storage, and it will say to enter the command "a2sd reinstall" to correct it so the apps run from SD storage. That's how it went for me at any rate.

In A2SDGUI, it's the same thing I believe if you go in and on the A2SD tab, you see what it says about whether or not your apps are on SD, and if it says they're not, tap the button and let it work, and it will move them all to SD.

Does that help? lol

Yes it does. I did exactly what you said. A2SD did have the " ! " but when I ran A2SD reinstall it seemed to work kind of, had some glitches with widgets and some other minor things. So I just wiped, re-flashed ROM reinstalled. Then reinstalled A2SDGUI first and then checked and set everything. I then did a restore and I am up and running with no problems. :D

Thank you for your help.

Just one thought why is there some much incorrect information out there, it is either misguided or incomplete. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones