• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]Themed ICS 2.3.7 Gingerbread [PORTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ROM looks pretty good. I just put it on my wife's phone this afternoon and she's having to adjust to it.
Question for anyone that can answer: After installing a few apps via Titanium, and the Market, it won't allow me to install anymore apps saying the device doesn't have enough space available... yet there's almost a gig on the SD card and 151mb available on the phone itself. Anyone have a clue what might be hindering my progress?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I was working on tweaking the MMS so it just stick no matter what, and I got it to work, but the only thing I can't edit is the damn update-script! I keep getting status 6?! I'll try again from linux.

no need for:
/data/eri.xml (i dunno I guess it could be??)
/data/mpcs.sql
/mpcs.sh

anyways the only changes that needed to be made to make all the settings stick is to make changes to "/system/etc/apns-conf.xml"
Code:
<apns version="6">
    <apn carrier="MetroPCS" numeric="311660" apn="" mcc="311" mnc="660" server="null" proxy="proxy.metropcs.net" port="3128" mmsc="http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" authtype="3" />
  <apn carrier="metropcs" mcc="310" mnc="016" apn="wap.metropcs.net" user="LG-MS690" password="" server="http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc" mmsc="http://mms.metropcs.net/mmsc" mmsport="3128" type="default,supl,mms" />
</apns>

Upvote 0
Ha, I found my issue(bangs head on desk), I got a little too delete happy in the update script and deleted the umounts for system and data :D

So with the this fix added in, You can flash the Rom, and right away flash gapps right over it. no need for any reboots :)

No, u should always boot into phone before flashing gapps, this has nothing to do with MMS.

Upvote 0
No, u should always boot into phone before flashing gapps, this has nothing to do with MMS.

I think you misunderstood my statement, and unless there is a legal reason for doing this, this is not true.

Gapps flashes apps, driver/modules, and a library to the system partition, it doesn't replace any apps... and even if it did you would want to wipe dalvik cache before the reboot anyways to prevent conflicts.

In other words, if you flashed Gapps, used the phone for a bit and for whatever reason you need to factory reset the phone, it would be no different then flashing the rom and gapps at the same time.The only real information left over is in the /system partition.

The only reason you would have to leave the system unwiped is only due to the way the MMS fix is implement now. As of right now the major changes are being made into /data/ which is not saved after a factory reset. This is still a hack. If you add the changes needed into /system/etc/apn-conf.xml, MMS will work even after a factory reset.

I've tested this over and over, full wipes, factory resets, and yet I always have working MMS and full on gapps from the get go... only thing that needs to be added is a *2SD that can mount your apps even after a wipe.

Here is the rom if anyone wishes to be brave enough to try. ;)
signed-ICS-TUAv3-Metropcs.zip MMS/ERI Static Fix
md5sum:a981131e489ecfa787c22ce9590f9e64
You can get the gapps from OP.

*on a small note, I usually combine my gapps and roms together to save time, This is not what is in the rom above.

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0
I think you misunderstood my statement, and unless there is a legal reason for doing this, this is not true.

Gapps flashes apps, driver/modules, and a library to the system partition, it doesn't replace any apps... and even if it did you would want to wipe dalvik cache before the reboot anyways to prevent conflicts.

In other words, if you flashed Gapps, used the phone for a bit and for whatever reason you need to factory reset the phone, it would be no different then flashing the rom and gapps at the same time.The only real information left over is in the /system partition.

The only reason you would have to leave the system unwiped is only due to the way the MMS fix is implement now. As of right now the major changes are being made into /data/ which is not saved after a factory reset. This is still a hack. If you add the changes needed into /system/etc/apn-conf.xml, MMS will work even after a factory reset.

I've tested this over and over, full wipes, factory resets, and yet I always have working MMS and full on gapps from the get go... only thing that needs to be added is a *2SD that can mount your apps even after a wipe.

Here is the rom if anyone wishes to be brave enough to try. ;)
signed-ICS-TUAv3-Metropcs.zip MMS/ERI Static Fix
md5sum:a981131e489ecfa787c22ce9590f9e64
You can get the gapps from OP.

*on a small note, I usually combine my gapps and roms together to save time, This is not what is in the rom above.

Trust me, wiping /cache and dalvik-cache and flashing gapps afterwards creates FCs, I have done it before, it also messes up settings to where u need to reboot to apply settings

A2SD being implemented onto any rom I try has also caused settings bug for my phone

And if someone could please try his build and test out MMS and tell me what happens, that would be great :D

Upvote 0
Trust me, wiping /cache and dalvik-cache and flashing gapps afterwards creates FCs, I have done it before, it also messes up settings to where u need to reboot to apply settings

no offense! but I can not trust ya on this one.. I've been doing this over and over :p trust that! haha

the only FC i have experienced is with ICS launcher at boot. Sometimes it decides it wants to FC a few times but then then works fine. I experienced this on the OP roms, and seems to be a known issue for ICS launcher .... I use GolauncherEX anyways.

If I record a video from start to finish would this make ya a believer? :p

Upvote 0
no offense! but I can not trust ya on this one.. I've been doing this over and over :p trust that! haha

the only FC i have experienced is with ICS launcher at boot. Sometimes it decides it wants to FC a few times but then then works fine. I experienced this on the OP roms, and seems to be a known issue for ICS launcher .... I use GolauncherEX anyways.

If I record a video from start to finish would this make ya a believer? :p

lol, I guess my phone is just different lol it always does that when I wipe cache and dalvik cache, I never get an issue when I don't wipe...

Upvote 0
sorry, but which kernel should I use to flash this rom? I'm trying to improve my dad's phone and so far I've only gotten to root it and deleted all the bloatware. could someone link me the kernel recommended for this rom? all help would be greatly appreciated!

kernel is flashed after ROM is flashed, but personally I like BobZhome's kernel the most, fast, smooth, reliable, and stable...it is implemented into this ROM. No need for another flash.

But you must still flash gapps!

Upvote 0
that's not what I meant. I asked if the kernel (not rom) already comes with recovery mode. if it doesn't, do you mind pointing me to the right direction?
Kernel is in the ROM....you don't have to flash kernels with ROMs nor ported ROMs, you can but this is based on preference to your liking, but this MAY cause issues...

or do you mean that this works with CWM? if so then yes.

Upvote 0
I just installed it and i love it! There are some things you need to fix.. there is no time showing in my notifications bar and sometimes ics launcher force closes... Anyways, is there a way to install swype on this? i restored it using titanium backup but when i select it in the input method, it keeps force closing it. i really want to use swype.

Upvote 0
I just installed it and i love it! There are some things you need to fix.. there is no time showing in my notifications bar and sometimes ics launcher force closes... Anyways, is there a way to install swype on this? i restored it using titanium backup but when i select it in the input method, it keeps force closing it. i really want to use swype.

For Clock go to
Settings>CM7 Settings>~Status Bar~(something like that)>~Clock Color~> White

Swype.....sorry, I don't know.
Google it :D

Upvote 0
are you using one of the apps?
and did you go into the options of the app and choose use as root user or something like that?

also this was for the guy having the market problem, not for swype....

Yes i know. im getting the same problem, it says something about insufficient memory..

Im using an app called Doggie file explorer and i navigated to the etc/init.d/01mvdalvik

and when i tried deleting it it gave me an error.

EDIT: I got it to work, what i did was i used es file explorer, i went into the settings and checked a box which gave me root permissions, then i was able to delete it. Thanks for your help

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones