• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] TheUltimateDroid 1.0.0 (FRG83) 1GHz

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Been playing with this ROM for over 4 hours, testing apps, tweaking settings, etc. Flawless performance so far. And this is the first ROM I've every installed that installed Swype so effortlessly, excellent! The only thing left to check is what the battery life is like. In short, I am one happy camper!

havent gotten it flashed over just yet but since this supposedly includes the swype from the d2 do you know if it accepts speech to text?

Upvote 0
I wonder if the problem some of us were experiencing with UD 8, in which UD would fail to reboot, has been fixed. I don't want to waste my time with this ROM if I can't reboot it.

I am one of those who couldn't for the life of me get UD 8.0 to work properly, but I am running this one with no issues thus far. It's actually very nice and smooth, you should give it a go. :)

Upvote 0
I am one of those who couldn't for the life of me get UD 8.0 to work properly, but I am running this one with no issues thus far. It's actually very nice and smooth, you should give it a go. :)

This one is rebuilt from the ground up, reason why it doesn't have LED notifications and reason why people are telling others to wipe phone before install. Its worth it, so far the thing is really fast for me. I've never been a fan of Slayher kernels though, they ALWAYS run hot for both of my phones.

Upvote 0
Been playing with this ROM for over 4 hours, testing apps, tweaking settings, etc. Flawless performance so far. And this is the first ROM I've every installed that installed Swype so effortlessly, excellent! The only thing left to check is what the battery life is like. In short, I am one happy camper!
This would represent my first time trying a UD ROM (after pondering doing .8 vs waiting), as I've been venturing out some, trying various kernels and such to see how my phone reacts.

In a nutshell, I feel the same way...I'm very impressed by the list of features offered in this ROM, and its arguably one of the smoothest installs, yet (either that, or I'm getting better at it :p).

All in all, battery life is also the last thing I have to check, and I plan on cycling the battery today, to get a good test within the next few days. If it turns out well, I'll say I've found a new go-to ROM.

Upvote 0
I went for it as I couldn't wait any longer. I must say, this is a very good ROM. I love the features and am just waiting for my favorite theme to be ported.

Even though this ROM is awesome, this is the first time I have ever flashed a ROM and my previously installed apps did not automatically reinstall. I found this weird as I have the option checked to reinstall my apps (free and purchased) after a wipe. But, with TiBU, I was able to reinstall my apps and data and am up and running again. I am thinking about un-checking the option to automatically reinstall my apps. That alone used to take anywhere from 1-2 hours on 3G and 30 minutes to and hour on WIFI. With TiBU, I had all of my apps reinstalled, LP settings and screens restored, and using my phone like normal in less than 30 minutes.

All in all I am happy thus far. I am thinking of flashing a 1.1Ghz kernel, but not sure if I want to go back to my tried and true chevy kernel or try a 1.1 slayher kernel. Maybe I'll just give the stock slayher 1.0 a few days to see what happens.

So, why the heck hasn't 2.0.0 been released yet? :p:D I mean my goodness, it's been over 12 hours since 1.0.0 was released. Black Droid needs to get on the ball... :D:D:D:p:p:p;););)
I'm just kidding for those who may be taking me seriously right now.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I use Rockon's ^3 (Cubed) music player. I prefer it because it plays tracks in CD order, not alphabetically. It ran fine on UD0.8, but now I have this issue:

Every so often (more often than not) it just starts scanning through all my songs just as fast as it can. It seems like there is a skip function somewhere that is stuck! The only way I've found to stop it is to reboot the phone... then it behaves (for awhile). It is my understanding that UD ROMS have some sort of song skip mechanism built into the volume rocker, but I don't understand it and it doesn't work on my Droid. Laying on the volume rocker only increases or decreases the volume... it certainly doesn't fix the problem.

Does anyone else have cubed, and - if you do - are you experiencing difficulty with it as well? And what's the fix? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I use Rockon's ^3 (Cubed) music player. I prefer it because it plays tracks in CD order, not alphabetically. It ran fine on UD0.8, but now I have this issue:

Every so often (more often than not) it just starts scanning through all my songs just as fast as it can. It seems like there is a skip function somewhere that is stuck! The only way I've found to stop it is to reboot the phone... then it behaves (for awhile). It is my understanding that UD ROMS have some sort of song skip mechanism built into the volume rocker, but I don't understand it and it doesn't work on my Droid. Laying on the volume rocker only increases or decreases the volume... it certainly doesn't fix the problem.

Does anyone else have cubed, and - if you do - are you experiencing difficulty with it as well? And what's the fix? :thinking:

Have you noticed if your screen is off when this happens? I haven't tried this rom yet but with chevy's roms the volume controlls won't work while the screen is on.

Upvote 0
Have you noticed if your screen is off when this happens? I haven't tried this rom yet but with chevy's roms the volume controlls won't work while the screen is on.

I don't know of ANY ROM that doesn't allow the volume controls to work with the screen off. This problem is so intermittent that it's hard to troubleshoot... I DO know that compcache makes ^3 run worse, so I turned it off.

Upvote 0
Been running this since about 7 minutes after BD posted and I am loving it. I've been doing my best to break it and I can't. I have been running it very heavy today (I've had to recharge once already today and I'm down to 40% again) I can't get a FC or anything. I am happy with this rom. The only thing I wish I had was LED notifications but those are coming in an update very shortly.

Upvote 0
Even though this ROM is awesome, this is the first time I have ever flashed a ROM and my previously installed apps did not automatically reinstall. I found this weird as I have the option checked to reinstall my apps (free and purchased) after a wipe.

I had this problem too and some strangeness with the Car Home app. I redownloaded and reinstalled ROM and apps restored as expected.

BUT, Car Home still is MIA. I can uninstall from settings and reinstall through market, but can't find the app anywhere. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I had this problem too and some strangeness with the Car Home app. I redownloaded and reinstalled ROM and apps restored as expected.

BUT, Car Home still is MIA. I can uninstall from settings and reinstall through market, but can't find the app anywhere. Any suggestions?

under settings/ultimate droid/built-in apps/ there is an option to install the car home app ;)

Upvote 0
I don't know of ANY ROM that doesn't allow the volume controls to work with the screen off. This problem is so intermittent that it's hard to troubleshoot... I DO know that compcache makes ^3 run worse, so I turned it off.

Let me rephrase. What I was referring to was when the screen is off the volume controls will skip songs when the screen is on they will only adjust the volume. As I stated this is how it works on chevy's roms. I haven't tried this one yet.

Upvote 0
under settings/ultimate droid/built-in apps/ there is an option to install the car home app ;)

Thanks, and

Settings--> Ultimate Droid--> Ultimate Droid Extras--> Built-in Apps

Thanks

Didn't work exactly as described though. Tried ^^ but just got stuck "running command." I restarted and went back to market and downloaded. The app is now in place but doesn't appear to be the UD themed one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones