1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ROM Toolbox Kernel Tweaks

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fuzzy13, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User

Min Free KBytes, Dirty Ratio, Dirty Background Ratio, VFS cache pressure, etc.....

What does it all mean?

How can i expierment with settings without f'ing my shit up?

I know Pnut had some settings posted on another post, does anyone have anymore settings they have tried? Pnut can you post yours again so i can have them in once place?

What are the stock numbers for plague? I've already tweaked but just in case I want to go back. I didn't write them down.

I Googled and search with no avail so this was my last resort :D

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ShinySide

ShinySide Extreme Android User

Im on GSE ZVB with the 2.2ghz zvb kernel and my "stock" numbers are

Oom Kill not checked

Dr0idWhisperer and Fuzzy13 like this.
  3. V SuperUser V

V SuperUser V Android Expert

Broken out 1.1, idrifta's speed kernel

Oom checked

Those are not stock values, i moddified them

Fuzzy13 likes this.
  4. Dr0idWhisperer

Dr0idWhisperer Android Enthusiast

I dont know if this helps (I think its the same kernal though) but the stock settings on PGs Black Plauge ROM are:
    Min free: 9386
    Dirty: 90
    BG Ratio: 70
    VFS Cache: 25
    OOM: Checked

Fuzzy13 likes this.
  5. gbiggie

gbiggie La patience et le pardon

Ldrifta's speed kernel untouched for now;)
    [​IMG]

Fuzzy13 likes this.
  6. Fuzzy13

Speed kernel has two sets of numbers posted by SU and BIG. Why is that?

7. mrpnut

mrpnut THE WORLD IS YOURS

here goesmines [​IMG]

Fuzzy13 likes this.
  8. gbiggie

He changed his settings;)

9. justainchoe

justainchoe Well-Known Member

Fuzzy - those settings are in your sysctl.conf file. It says it on the title bar after you click "Kernel Tweaks." It bugged me that no one really explained what they were and were just posting their own settings (which is basically just random numbers to me), so I started googling that and found a bunch of stuff. The most important setting seems to be the VFS Cache Pressure.

I posted a topic:
    http://androidforums.com/esteem-all-things-root/532317-tweak-wip-sysctl-conf-tweaking.html

It's a lot to read so I doubt anyone bothered reading it. If you want to know what you're doing (or sorta know what you're doing), check it out. On my post, I linked 2 URLs that were most helpful in understanding those settings. I read/skimmed the first 15 pages of the 60+ page thread and still don't really understand it.

I didn't update that post because no one seemed interested, but the settings I posted aren't stable for me (reboots). I've been lazy to reflash and backup and restore all my apps and stuff because I really liked how my phone was running, and I recently installed like 20 new apps to try out so that might be why my phone is restarting. I just bumped it up to VFS cache pressure to 20 to see if that's what's causing the reboots. Anyways, good luck.

jtw1216, Mexjoker, hvrc and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fuzzy13

I see that now. lol.

SMH:bath:

11. androiduser96

androiduser96 Android Enthusiast

Does this improve anything?

12. Fuzzy13

I would assume being that the kernel is the heart of your phone. That's why I'm tweaking to see for my self :D

13. Carlos1986

Carlos1986 Android Enthusiast

Have you noticed a difference using these modified values from that of the stock speed kernal values?

In light of that I wonder if idrifta uses modified values on his own speed kernel?

14. V SuperUser V

V SuperUser V Android Expert

honestly? not really, i'd have to adjust the values drastically to see if i notice anything :alberteinstein:

15. nicksinz

nicksinz Newbie

my numbers dont stick. they go back to the default numbers. anyone know why?
    I have gingersteem rom.

16. Dr0idWhisperer

Dr0idWhisperer Android Enthusiast

These settings work really well for me I've tried them in the black plague ROM and Broken Out ROM and they seem to me to make things really smooth. Its not a huge diff but it just really smoothes it out for me. One thing though I check Oom kill. I was reading a link someone on here put about what all these settings do and Oom kill means out of memory kill and when its not check it scans all running processes and then determines which is best to kill when the system is out of memory but with it checked it just kills the one that made it go out of memory so it saves battery processing power and everything like that to just let it kill whichever one pushed it out of memory. So it makes sense to me that its prolly best to leave this checked hope this helps anyone.

jtw1216 likes this.
  17. BossMan809

BossMan809 Newbie

Anyone know a good setting for Gingersteem ROM? I done some tweaks on my build.prop and Auto Memory. Just want to have the best performance for my phone

18. gbiggie

Just have to fool around with them. Some of the setting the others posted did not make my phone happy at all. Just backup before you start changing the values. Let us know what works for you:thumbup:

19. BossMan809

BossMan809 Newbie

Hmmm lemme see what I come up with then. I met a dev in my area and he gave me some values to work with but those values are for his ROM. I gotta say though he made my phone 3X better then it was before. Its snappier now

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews