1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [ROM] UD 3.0.0. beta released (GB)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Quinolin, Jan 6, 2011.

1. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Just had to give this a go, so here's a quick lil review for you guys.

Loaded up fine, restored almost all of my apps. Took a while to restore, but everything seemed fine.

For the most part, I think my experiences are much like everyone elses. Very snappy ROM, very smooth at first, even at 600MHz. However after a couple days, it's now very laggy. Very laggy.

I did have the 3G issue most everyone seems to be having, and it appears to not just be after a phone call. I'm constantly having to resfresh widgets and apps to get them current or working at all. Airplane on and off does seem to work for the most part.

I was pleasantly surprised with the battery life. With an awful lot of standby time, it was down to 40% after about 17 or 18 hours. That's pretty impressive. But I should warn that when I was streaming music yesterday, it really started to suck it dry. That tends to happen, but it just seemed extraordinarily fast, probably considering how good the battery life is otherwise.

Basically, once the GB bugs get worked out, this is going to be a great ROM. But until then, this is just a bit of a hassle for me to use. Can't wait to see what happens after it's completely polished.

Advertisement

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Yep, Yank I'm getting the 3G issue even when I'm not placing calls. I still can't get my damn email to sync constantly as well. I always have to go into Gmail and refresh. I think I'll head back to CM7 until I can figure out what's causing this.

3. barry99705

barry99705 Android Expert
    None

That's weird. I'm running it right now. I wonder if we got different versions of the rom?

4. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    Professional Student
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have been getting pretty good battery life, but it is probably because my data keeps turning off.

5. alnova1

alnova1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Virginia
    Really...I loved the rom but I got insanely bad battery life. It would go from fully charged to 20% in a little over an hour. I had to go to Bugless Beast.

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    UPDATE FROM BLACKDROID: "The UD3 Final is coming along VERY well. Just taking a good bit of time re-coding some things; and some... new things."

NEW things? :D

The delay in releasing is due to the complexities of Gingerbread. Every time one problem gets fixed, others pop up somewhere else in the ROM. He's having to fix each thing as they crop up so it will be as close to perfect as it can get when the final is uploaded.

Not to slight the other devs, but I am (im)patiently waiting for this EPIC ROM to be released!

7. underd86

underd86 Member
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    Been running it since yesterday no reboots of fc's. running real fast! toggling airplane mode not that big of deal until it is final.

Only thing i miss from CM 247 is on email there is a "check all" for easy deletes, not on the email client for this..

8. corbinator

corbinator Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Metrologist
    da south
    Been Running this ROM for about a week now, and it is EXCELENT!!! One thing I have noticed that I haven't seen posted here... ADDS!!!!!! I was on 2.3 before this and didn't have any problems but with this both the ad blocker in the rom doesn't work and I'm getting a java error with adfree. I've seen that adfree has this issue and I hope the dev is working on it, must be something in Gingerbread, but this is one of the main reasons for me rooting. I'm just stating it incase amongst the other issues I know Blackdroid is all over but just in case.
    Also I've noticed that the LED flashlight in the power widget (MOST AWSOMENESS, and probably the most usefull widget ever) isn't working either. Tried installing both mototorch (which i believe is in 2.3) and just about every other LED flashlight trying to get this fixed, but no dice. Very handy in 2.3 but may have slipped in the 3.0 transition.

9. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Hhmmn... Both of my flashlight widgets (MotoTorch and TeslaLED) work for me with this ROM. :thinking: I use them daily.

10. corbinator

None

Apr 28, 2010
    Metrologist
    da south
    @messenger I can get it to function but not with the modified power widget in the notification pull down. i.e. I have the mototorch widget on a home screen and it works but not the widget where you drop the notification bar and select the torch button (like airplane mode or wifi on/off).

11. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    O i c ... I don't use them like that, never tried.

12. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    I've switched to the CM Nightly - installing the same apps and moving the same ones to the SDCard, I have a whopping 50 MB more free in my app space than I did in UD.

Otherwise, all the GB ROMs are pretty much the same right now.

13. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Corporate & Securties Attorney
    Wilmington, DE
    Dreadnatty, I haven't tried this ROM but I can tell you that, generally, sync problems with Gmail can be solved by go into Manage Applications and wiping your Gmail cache.

14. alnova1

alnova1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Virginia
    I tried wiping cache when I was running this rom and it didn't work for me. Until it's fixed I'm keeping bugless beast.

15. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Yep, from another suggestion for that, I did it and sync is working just fine. The only problem I have now is that my Gmail app in the LP dock isn't telling me the email count. I honestly haven't done anything to help solve it. Perhaps I'll try wiping data/cache from LP.

16. underd86

underd86 Member
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    gmail and comcast are working fine, but my work exchange will not refresh after a while. i have to keep deleting it and adding it :thinking:

17. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2010
    pc repair
    southern Nebraska, US
    Every time I have opened music player gone to songs and selected a song it fc. That's the only issue I've found, other than the other known issues. Gb looks and feels awesome, I can't wait for a finely tuned rom.

18. corbinator

None

Apr 28, 2010
    Metrologist
    da south
    +1 I have Cube and it does the same thing occasionally. Haven't tried Meridian since flashing, will investigate this afternoon.

Edit: Didn't have any problems with Meridin. Don't know what's going on.

19. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    "The Ultimate Droid 3.0.0 release candidates will be released some time tonight. There have been many improvements since the first beta. New launcher, many memory and speed enhancements, new features, and all of the sensors on the Original Droid (including light and accelerometer) are working. This release also brings along with it the first of three tablets supported by UD: the Viewsonic G Tablet."

So bring on the tablet ROMs! :D

20. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Entrepreneur
    Atlanta
    Can't wait for this.... I flashed MIUI like two days ago.... but I've been waiting for a solid Gingerbread build and was hoping it was UD. I prefer UD over CM and the recent release of Liquid Gingerbread.

21. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Mail Carrier
    Cullman, AL
    Amen:D

22. Triplanetary

Triplanetary Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I've been using UD3's nightly builds, and the 3G issue is "resolved" using the same temporary fix that CM is using. It's just a workaround, but 3G does return pretty quickly after a phone call.

The nightly builds are also running a good bit faster than the UD3 beta. So I can tell you from experience that you have something to look forward to in the release candidate.

23. Liebensaft

Liebensaft Member
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    The Dirty T
    Nada? :(

Being patient is hard.