• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][UNOFFICIAL] Lineage OS 14.1 for ZTE ZMAX PRO

I pulled the modem from my phone and made this flashable zip for you guys with borked modems.

This is from my MetroPCS ZTE Zmax Pro Z981 on B21 firmware. If you have a different Zmax Pro then I suggest you do not flash this.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Just flash the zip in twrp recovery...
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603855400

By the way, Armando did a great job with this Lineage OS 14.1. Everything is working great.
I’m really grateful......I can’t thank you enough

Upvote 0
Hey guys is there something in LineageOS that is forcing the screen to timeout prematurely, even after setting the display sleep settings to 30 minutes? Cause it's really causing me some unnecessary angst because it done and then shuts off the screen within 10 seconds of non screen interactions. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what is forcing the screen to timeout so quickly to no avail. Please assist

Upvote 0
When I Flashed It it would be stuck on the loading screen and would boot.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! View attachment 136652

Email me with fixes:sharibsaad108@gmail.com

This happened to me as well, but I found if you force the phone to reboot by pressing the power down for the 10 seconds and then let it run its course the os does finally load. But I also learned that if you had a screen lock enabled it too would cause it to sit in that start state. But the force restart helped mine load up in less then 30 minutes.

Upvote 0
Long time lurker here. Thank you for porting this ROM to this phone.

Had anyone been having the issue where you set the phone's sleep time to anything longer than a few seconds and the screen turns off quickly anyway. For example, I set the sleep setting to 30 minutes. I put my phone down and the screen shots of very quickly.

Also, does anyone have the original stock MetroPCS 6.0.1 ROM that can be flashed via TWRP?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I should of read up on the thread before whining about the same issue. I've even tried other methods to combat this issue but still can not get it to work right. Like using tracker or even just trying to figure a method using terminal and BusyBox. And I could use a copy of the stock ROM as well. (Forgot to back up my device prior to rooting) doh!

Upvote 0
A quick google search led me to this XDA post with a stock backup...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77717333&postcount=50
https://mega.nz/#!MSAGgSSA!Hn3EVlQbAiJiAdj73Tx7FfjIADnhoKyiFgt161UeD3w
zip password: opensourceKE

Since this is a twrp backup it will not contain the modem. You will still need to find that. This will only contain system and boot.

Thank you for finding this. I searched XDA and used various search engines but did not find this. Thanks for your better searching skills. I appreciate it.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0

What would be the proper way of using this to revert back to stock? I unziped the .7z archive on my PC the placed the deepest folder of the archive on the root of my SDcard. I then booted into TWRP and used the restore function and navigated to the folder. It seemed to restore just fine but I get stuck on the MetroPCS boot image. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
What would be the proper way of using this to revert back to stock? I unziped the .7z archive on my PC the placed the deepest folder of the archive on the root of my SDcard. I then booted into TWRP and used the restore function and navigated to the folder. It seemed to restore just fine but I get stuck on the MetroPCS boot image. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.
Did you flash modem zip? And I can't remember if magisk had to be flashed too.

Upvote 0
I also tried flashing it, with the modem and with and without magisk. Mine also doesn't get past the Metro boot logo.
How long did you wait?I've seen the boot logos in general go for about 15min. I think the dalvik is loading. Could b wrong. I'm still a noob trying to keep this wonderful thread moving.
I had the same issue which led me to flash lineage . Yes I know I should've made a backup.

Upvote 0
I followed said instruction and had same result. Although I waited a lot less than 6 hours more like 15 min and got impatient. Then decided to flash lineage.
Have you been able to get past the boot screen? I'm having the same problem. Can't seem to get it past MetroPCS no matter what combination I try. When restoring the backup, do I have to leave everything checked?

Upvote 0
Have you been able to get past the boot screen? I'm having the same problem. Can't seem to get it past MetroPCS no matter what combination I try. When restoring the backup, do I have to leave everything checked?

If you're referring to your backup not booting past the metro screen... What I discovered is that any backup made prior to a factory reset will not work as per the rooting instructions in this post...
https://androidforums.com/threads/new-root-method-for-z981-zmax-pro.1284305/#post-7792976

When you install twrp for the first time you must factory reset before making your first backup otherwise the backup will not work.

Upvote 0
If you're referring to your backup not booting past the metro screen... What I discovered is that any backup made prior to a factory reset will not work as per the rooting instructions in this post...
https://androidforums.com/threads/new-root-method-for-z981-zmax-pro.1284305/#post-7792976

When you install twrp for the first time you must factory reset before making your first backup otherwise the backup will not work.
Thanks for the explanation. So I guess there is no way to return to stock? It seems every custom ROM that I try has a really big issue or another that's keeping me from keeping it. LineageOS for me had extremely terrible battery life even when left unused.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones