• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Motorola Moto E4 Plus Owens

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK.. You messed up on that one by leaving the Boost SIM in and updating. If you've read the posts well, you'd notice that people actually removed the Sim before 1st boot and installed their Carrier's Sim and then unlocked bootloader/Flashed ROM.. Always READ-READ-READ and double check, sorry..

The XDA thread emphasizes that one must first activate the carrier account. The first post in the thread says "Have stock ROM installed and data provisioned correctly. This is an important step to have any chance of LTE working for your device." There is more discussion of this throughout the thread.
I did not see anywhere on that thread, to take the carrier SIM out for this hack.
I've seen it, e.g., in E4 Verizon unlock threads.

Upvote 0
The XDA thread emphasizes that one must first activate the carrier account. The first post in the thread says 'Have stock ROM installed and data provisioned correctly. This is an important step to have any chance of LTE working for your device.' There is more discussion of this throughout the thread.
I did not see anywhere on that thread, to take the carrier SIM out for this hack.

No. OMG, Don't look at Verizon anything. Ever when it come story Android, Lol. That's like using an anchor to fish.. Yes, you are right about the carrier provisioning posts but that was fixed by SeanStar, I believe. Ya still needed to swap sim cards before 1st boot as that 1st boot (with SIM) can set the Carrier to the phone so swap SIMs 1st before anything else and THEN do the rest (unlock bootloader, ect..). No hate involved and I understand this is an accident but we are trying to help with the best information possible. Thank you for bringing this to our attention because I can/will later today clarify stuff in our Root Guide that XDA didn't & doesn't emphasize. I think if you were to try again with another device & using the process steps I previously mentioned, you'll be successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Some Guy Here
Upvote 0
The XDA thread emphasizes that one must first activate the carrier account. The first post in the thread says "Have stock ROM installed and data provisioned correctly. This is an important step to have any chance of LTE working for your device." There is more discussion of this throughout the thread.
If you have more questions about that rom/ thread and don't want to take our advice, you should ask them there please.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
It's still a mystery, why the two builds perform so remarkably different in their relationship to my SIM.

I have another unit that was not powered on with the carrier Sim. I inserted my t-mobile SIM and it complains of "invalid SIM". I haven't tried to reflash that unit.

I'm off to read on how to get the current unit completely back to stock. I hope I can undo everything including stock ROM, recovery and bootloader lock.

Upvote 0
It's still a mystery, why the two builds perform so remarkably different in their relationship to my SIM.

I have another unit that was not powered on with the carrier Sim. I inserted my t-mobile SIM and it complains of "invalid SIM". I haven't tried to reflash that unit.

I'm off to read on how to get the current unit completely back to stock. I hope I can undo everything including stock ROM, recovery and bootloader lock.
If you've already activated the device with the Boost sim card your screwed until Boost will sim unlock it. That's all there is too it. They have their rules. That's all their is to it. Call Boost customer service and I'm sure they'll tell you the same.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_20180621-064238.png
Hi I just cleaned flashed the ROM this morning but I don't have any cellular service. Went into settings to check things and everything is basically greyed out. Will try to attach the screenshot. Phone is a xt1776 but am using it on cricket. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Upvote 0
View attachment 133150 Hi I just cleaned flashed the ROM this morning but I don't have any cellular service. Went into settings to check things and everything is basically greyed out. Will try to attach the screenshot. Phone is a xt1776 but am using it on cricket. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Do you have call/text, & data working?

Reactions: twfs
Upvote 0
View attachment 133150 Hi I just cleaned flashed the ROM this morning but I don't have any cellular service. Went into settings to check things and everything is basically greyed out. Will try to attach the screenshot. Phone is a xt1776 but am using it on cricket. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks.
Hmm. I clean flashed that also and everything was ok. I have an xt1776 on Boost. Did you try rebooting? We're you using the previous build before flashing the new one?
Edit: every once in a while I'll have no data, and the no SIM card symbol in the status bar and I have to reboot to get it back. Also have had to power down and remove and reinsert the sim card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi I didn't actually try to make a call or a text. I did do a couple reboots but still wasn't able to get any signal or data. I then did a dirty flash with no change then just restored my my Backup of slim that runs just fine. I downloaded it again and flashed it and same issue. Just wondering if it is because I am using cricket instead of boost like you are

Upvote 0
Hi I didn't actually try to make a call or a text. I did do a couple reboots but still wasn't able to get any signal or data. I then did a dirty flash with no change then just restored my my Backup of slim that runs just fine. I downloaded it again and flashed it and same issue. Just wondering if it is because I am using cricket instead of boost like you are
I have a feeling I built the previous builds on my desktop. I built the last one on my laptop. I'll have to look at the trees I have on both and see if there is something different I missed. It's probably my fault. I need to get my trees squared away on github and make sure I have everything the same on both machines.

Reactions: twfs and bcrichster
Upvote 0

We are using global APN's.. It should be there. Do you have a stock backup you can get your Cricket APNs from? A screenshot of Settings-AboutPhone might help also. Please see which/ if any ROMs give you data cuz if one does, they all should. Plus we can check them for comparison.
Oh, another thing to consider is that you won't have data immediately after your boot as it takes several minutes to configure, in which it'll look blank and no LTE data. Give it like 10mins after 1st boot and see if you have any improvement

Upvote 0
We are using global APN's.. It should be there. Do you have a stock backup you can get your Cricket APNs from? A screenshot of Settings-AboutPhone might help also. Please see which/ if any ROMs give you data cuz if one does, they all should. Plus we can check them for comparison.
Oh, another thing to consider is that you won't have data immediately after your boot as it takes several minutes to configure, in which it'll look blank and no LTE data. Give it like 10mins after 1st boot and see if you have any improvement
Yeah, I was thinking that. It does take a few minutes to provision depending on your signal strength. If it worked for me with the same apns, it should have worked for everyone.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the rep!ies guys. No I don't have a stock backup that I can use because I am using the custom ROMs as my sim unlock. I mentioned that I ended up restoring my backup of slimrom so it works fine. The other 2 ROMs I have tried so far have been blissrom and resurrection remix and have no issues with cellular or data. I tried the 5/9 version of los and I also did not have signal.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the rep!ies guys. No I don't have a stock backup that I can use because I am using the custom ROMs as my sim unlock. I mentioned that I ended up restoring my backup of slimrom so it works fine. The other 2 ROMs I have tried so far have been blissrom and resurrection remix and have no issues with cellular or data. I tried the 5/9 version of los and I also did not have signal.
Really? Wtf. I love it when there's so many downloads and nobody tells me something's wrong till now.

Upvote 0
I think I know what I did with my trees that it's not working for @twfs. Over this weekend, I'll get that fixed and post a new build that should work for everyone, but after that I'm only going to keep this updated with the latest security patches when they are pushed. When I have time, if I do, I'll keep working on 15.1. Right now, my priority is getting my back and other health problems taken care of so I can get back to work and preparing for a baby coming in the beginning of December which has both been quite the ordeal so far and taking up a lot of my time. I had high hopes of getting our devices on O and started on P by now, but with little help from others and the little time I've had lately, it just hasn't happened as planned. Hopefully things will work out and we'll all be running the latest Android and get caught up with other devices soon. Sorry to let everyone down.

Upvote 0
I think I know what I did with my trees that it's not working for @twfs. Over this weekend, I'll get that fixed and post a new build that should work for everyone, but after that I'm only going to keep this updated with the latest security patches when they are pushed. When I have time, if I do, I'll keep working on 15.1. Right now, my priority is getting my back and other health problems taken care of so I can get back to work and preparing for a baby coming in the beginning of December which has both been quite the ordeal so far and taking up a lot of my time. I had high hopes of getting our devices on O and started on P by now, but with little help from others and the little time I've had lately, it just hasn't happened as planned. Hopefully things will work out and we'll all be running the latest Android and get caught up with other devices soon. Sorry to let everyone down.

You didn't let anyone down, take care of yourself and stuff

Upvote 0
one thing that did not work for me was the FM radio app crashes when I open it anyone else and is their another app that will work?
I never thought to check that because I rarely use it and I thought it was working on previous builds, but I'd does force close on me on AEX. I'll look into it if I have a chance. You can check the play store for a working app, but I suspect it's something I did or didn't do with the device trees.

Reactions: Some Guy Here
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones