• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROM update news for T-Mobile G2 Touch users!

Lefthand

Sep 27, 2009
UK
Hello peeps!
Just thought I'd feedback to you some info I got from HTC Europe support today, after unsuccessfully trying to download the upgrade.
This was my query:
"Hi. I wanted to download the ROM upgrade (2.73.405.5)for my Hero (or G2 Touch as T-Mobile call it). However, after entering the phone's serial number, a message appears indicating that this upgrade is not suitable for my device. Why is this? I'm on T-Mobile UK, the phone build no. is 1.76.110.6.
I've also noticed there is an upgrade (2.73.61.5) available for the Orange network. Does this mean that ROM upgrades are network specific?"

This was the reply:

"Thanks for your email.
ROM updates are indeed network specific. This is common to ALL mobile phone manufacturers.
The networks like to control the software that is installed on the phone by default. They often customise it with wallpapers, applications (including removing some in some cases) and adding bookmarks and the like. This is one of the compromises you accept when you buy a subsidised, network branded handset, and why you often see the network logos when booting the phones, and all over the menus.

AT this time, while we have released the Generic update for the SIM free devices, and Orange have approved the ROM for their devices, T-Mobile wanted some changes made (i do not know what or why), and it has been delayed slightly, but according to their support forums, some sort of announcement wil be made by T-Mobile tomorrow regarding their update for the G2 touch.

I am sure it will not be long until the update is released."

Firstly I'd like to say that I emailed the query today, Sunday afternoon, at got a reply within the hour. That's what I call customer service!

Secondly, let's hope T-Mobile stops phaffing around and release the update! good news though eh?

Strangely, Orange didn't seem to have any such problems when it came to their update.

Nobody at Orange seemed to know much about it. If you search back through posts around then you'll see that customers were variously told "It has to come from HTC", "we have to wait for HTC to issue it" and "we don't know if there'll be an update". The first inkling anyone got of the update's release was it appearing on HTC's UK support site. Afaik Orange have never officially announced its availability.

Upvote 0
Nobody at Orange seemed to know much about it. If you search back through posts around then you'll see that customers were variously told "It has to come from HTC", "we have to wait for HTC to issue it" and "we don't know if there'll be an update". The first inkling anyone got of the update's release was it appearing on HTC's UK support site. Afaik Orange have never officially announced its availability.

Ahh, now that would tie in with what some people have said in the past about HTC claiming they don't support T-Mobile handsets, apparently HTC say the support has to come from T-Mobile. So, they're happy enough to support the Orange handsets, hence their version of the update being released promptly. That makes sense. Thanks Slug!

Upvote 0
I read that tmobile are building it with Donut hence the delay?
Nope. They've already said it's a 1.5 build in an official post in thier forum. When they tested it the peep application was broken so they sent it back to HTC to be fixed. It's all supposed to be signed off now so it's just a case of T-Mobile getting thier fingers out and making it available.

Well probably have to go through it all again for Donut.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones