• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] VanillaDroid v1.0

Just an FYI to ya all theres a reason that there's a second alarm clock app on there. I set the original not knowing it and had to pull my batt this morning to turn it off.

Really didn't help the hangover this morning.. and before ya ask who drinks mid week.. today is my only day off till next wed so I had a few belts last night :cool:

Upvote 0
how do i enable live wallpapers?
You just need to copy LiveWallpapersPicker.apk to your /system/app or /data/app folder and they'll be available. That's just the app to select them though, you'll need to download a live wallpaper to use from the market.

Android File Manager

Or just download lwp_signed.zip from that link and flash it through your recovery partition and it'll install the .apk file for you.

Live wallpapers will work fine in Helix without doing anything else.

Upvote 0
ok grdlock. love the rom but im having some functionality issues with this thing here. first, it has rebooted itself a few times since i flashed it. 2nd it takes longer than im used to for handcent to finish lunching, 3rd I keep getting kicked out of pure email for pure mssenger when i try to check an email in my inbox. i tried to reinstall the thing. ive gotten "bad connection" prompts when i try to check emails as well. I try to work around it and instal k9 for pure and as im trying to setup up emails, the app starts over when i get past typing all info for imap settings. very frustrating. and last but not least, live wallpapers give up on me when i put the phone to sleep. i have it set where the screen does not time out, but when i hit the end call button to let it rest, the wallpaper goes back to default. im sure im not the only one having issues with the last one.

Upvote 0
ok grdlock. love the rom but im having some functionality issues with this thing here. first, it has rebooted itself a few times since i flashed it. 2nd it takes longer than im used to for handcent to finish lunching, 3rd I keep getting kicked out of pure email for pure mssenger when i try to check an email in my inbox. i tried to reinstall the thing. ive gotten "bad connection" prompts when i try to check emails as well. I try to work around it and instal k9 for pure and as im trying to setup up emails, the app starts over when i get past typing all info for imap settings. very frustrating. and last but not least, live wallpapers give up on me when i put the phone to sleep. i have it set where the screen does not time out, but when i hit the end call button to let it rest, the wallpaper goes back to default. im sure im not the only one having issues with the last one.
Any stability issues are more than likely caused by the JIT executables. Most apps I use don't seem to have any issues with them, but obviously there's no way for me to try them with everyone's setup. If you visit my website, in my folder there's a file called JIT-remove.zip. If you flash that from your recovery, it will remove the JIT's, and more than likely that will fix any stability issues you're having.

As for the live wallpapers, it's a known issue that wallpapers that use OpenGL for rendering crash when the phone sleeps. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it at this time. We've come to the conclusion that the kernel is shutting down GLES when the phone sleeps to save power, and that's crashing the wallpapers that use it. Since the 2.1 kernel source hasn't been released yet, there's nothing we can do about that other than work around it. There's still a decent amount of live wallpapers in the market that don't use OpenGL, however, and all of those should work fine.

Upvote 0
Oh, well for future reference, if you have a question about a different ROM, you should probably post it in a general help thread rather than a thread specific to a different ROM.

Evil Eris I believe doesn't come with live wallpapers pre-installed.

In the Extras section of my website there's a file called lwp_signed.zip. Flash that through your recovery and it should add live wallpapers.

Reactions: darrenmthornton
Upvote 0
yes, it runs Sense...

I'm sure that would do the trick. I was planning on switching over to your Vanilla ROM anyway as soon as it's fully stabilized. Or is it fully stable already?? I got the impression from the comments in this thread that there were still a few lingering issues...

The rom is pretty stable as is. Most stability issues people have with weird stuff can usually be fixed by removing the JIT executables using the flash file on my site. JIT's improve performance, but do come with stability issues. That's not something that will ever change probably. Plus, this will probably be the last rom I release. I'm taking a vacation this coming Monday, and I'll be gone all summer long.

thats awesome grdlock................
:(

What?

Upvote 0
The rom is pretty stable as is. Most stability issues people have with weird stuff can usually be fixed by removing the JIT executables using the flash file on my site. JIT's improve performance, but do come with stability issues. That's not something that will ever change probably. Plus, this will probably be the last rom I release. I'm taking a vacation this coming Monday, and I'll be gone all summer long.

What?

Hmm, I dont remember anyone giving you permission to take that long of a vacation. I mean, you better bring your phone and laptop with you and come back with the greatest ROM EVER!!!!

On a serious note, enjoy your vacation, be safe and hopefully you come back to the forum remembering what anything is. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones