• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Viper 4G 2.0.0 and beyond

It's not even funny.

Do that mod.

EarlyMon said:
Ok, I currently have HTC Mail, Gmail, Chrome with 7 tabs, Boat Browser with 4 windows, Boat Browser Mini with 3 windows, two tapatalk-based forum apps, Crunchyroll (anime viewer), EStrongs File Explorer, People, and Quick System Info Pro (with a status bar widget telling me that I have only used 64% (497 MB) of ram) all open at once and I am running FAST.

Browser pages are blanking but coming back up quickly when I go to them.

I have not changed from the stock 2.0.2 oom or minfree values.

I'll keep adding stuff. I don't know. This is looking mighty chipper so far to me. :)

EarlyMon said:
Just added an XScope of this page, took me up to 72%, or 558 MB out of 770, used.

Edit - just pulled up the Washington Post article on the Walking Dead via Google Currents.

Nothing but speed.

EarlyMon said:
Ok, I know two things about benchmarks -

One, they don't mean much other than to get people upset here, please don't flame me because...

... Two, I do know that you get better results with nothing in memory, that's why I added them now - looking for stuff to load up and run. But for those who like them or want to see how they do under this stress, here's what I got with all of this other stuff active -

AnTuTu - 7927

Quadrant - 5888

I don't know if those are supposed to be good or bad, I'm just trying to show stuff running. :)

Upvote 0
For some reason my email has stopped working. It wouldn't connect to the server and would say login failed. So I removed the account and tried to re add the hotmail acct and it wouldn't allow me to do it. Any ideas?

Hotmail actually acts up and does this from time to time along with Yahoo mail accounts.

I think it was last year that we documented the both of them tinkering with their servers and claiming to users that they weren't.

See if there are others with new server parameters for a manual account setup is about all I can suggest. If you can give it a day, it might clear itself.

Sorry, that's all I got on that one. :(

Upvote 0
Is that mod only for Viper? I tried it on MeanROM and it cut my download speed in half. Went from 2.3 megabytes per second down to 1.1 megabyte per second.

It's not affected mine.

Did your download speed restore after reverting it?

Have you tried going back and forth to ensure it's this?

Nothing there should impact net speed at all.

MeanROM uses the same heap settings as viper - htc stock values.

Surprised that this would be an issue.

Upvote 0
I just reverted and tested again. I'm still downloading at 1.1 megabyte per second. So I guess it wasn't the mod. Darn, I was hoping to get that great download speed back. I have no idea what slowed my phone down. Hmm. Oh well, cest la vie.

Probably normal (or abnormal now that I think of it) tower maintenance.

Try Open Signal Maps, see if you're tower hopping.

Upvote 0
Probably normal (or abnormal now that I think of it) tower maintenance.

Try Open Signal Maps, see if you're tower hopping.

Nah, I was on Wi-Fi when I tried it out. But my Wi-Fi is extremely unreliable because I live in the middle of nowhere. When I got 2.3 megabytes per second I think I may have just gotten lucky. When I'm on mobile data I'm lucky to get 200 kilobytes per second.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Man, I'm lucky to get a 0.3 whenever I go. I have never gotten a 1.0 or greater anywhere.

:(

Hope they get moving on Network Vision for you.

uploadfromtaptalk1354108996347.jpg

Upvote 0
That's the stock kernel, same one Viper4G uses, so you should be ok.

At the first sign of trouble (bootloops etc) go ahead and flash the one from Viper4G but I doubt that you will need to.

BTW, there's a sneak peek of some fixes coming in the next release going up tonight, good stuff.

Awesome! Sounds good...I will keep my eyes open!

Upvote 0
well i'm glad you found one you like. thats two roms in a few days now......sounds like someones becoming a flashaholic:D

LOL...Yup! I was kinda of a flashaholic with my old EVO until I found one that I really liked. One of the reasons I like this ROM so much is the major amount of customizing you can do. I like being able to hide the clock and battery icons in the status bar since I already have those widgets on my home screen I don't need them twice.

Upvote 0
I'm just about full circle for comming back to Viper. ;)

I'm going to try and flash this soon, already downloaded the lag fix too. I really didn't experience lag too bad last time I ran the ROM. I'm not a heavy multi-tasker either, so that may be the rub there.

Eiither way I'll reflash this, then flash the lag fix in the same recovery session as recommended by Viperboy. Thanks for the heads up EM. :)

Upvote 0
PS - here is the stock rooted rom by our pal (ok - everyone's pal!), xHausx -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766628

If you want to start slow with stock and try others from there, there you go! :)

Do I HAVE TO flash the kernal after this ROM?? Or only if I need the stock kernal (which I presume I already have)??

-----
Edit: ANSWER in post #59 above!!...my browser wasn't refreshed!! GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!! ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones