• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Viper4G 1.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, cool, thanks!

Also, I've only had one recurring issue with this ROM. I have a Doctor Who soundboard for notification and ringtone sounds. Every time I restart the phone, the Doctor Who sounds get wiped. They don't show up as available sounds or ringtones when I go to choose, but when I reset them in the app, it says they're already saved. Not sure what's doing it.

Upvote 0
Create /ringtones /alarms and /notifications folders on your /sdcard - system should pick them up from there as normal add-ons.

You can also do -

/sdcard/media/alarms
/sdcard/media/notifications
/sdcard/media/ringtones

Okay, now that I know what I'm looking at, there's already a set of media/notifications, etc. on my internal card, and it has the appropriate files. However, there are additional files I downloaded from the soundboard on there, and they don't show up as notifications. Is there some way for me to direct the system to recognize them?

Upvote 0
Okay, now that I know what I'm looking at, there's already a set of media/notifications, etc. on my internal card, and it has the appropriate files. However, there are additional files I downloaded from the soundboard on there, and they don't show up as notifications. Is there some way for me to direct the system to recognize them?

In the right folder, yeah?

Are they file type mp3 by name?

Reactions: suprmallet
Upvote 0
Kind of irrelevant to this ROM, or the discussion about minfree settings for performance considerations.

When that one is ready for me to entrust my business with, I'll chat with you about it in that thread. :)

Meanwhile - please resist or post what they use use for their settings. ;)

Sorry about that, I was just being a bit irreverent :). I'll post the settings over in the JB thread because it's quite an apples to oranges comparison.

Argg I just flashed meanROM yesterday. Rooted 2 days ago. And I'm already tempted by this ROM.. This is all your guys' fault. :p

They're both great ROMs. Two completely different philosophies though. Where Mean has everything baked in with some optional mods to flash, Viper has every tweak you can imagine as a setting you can enable with a tap of a button. Overall it's very polished and I can imagine the coding behind getting everything implemented the way they do would be a nightmare. Best part is, you have a choice! Nand your mean setup, flash Viper, and if you don't like it you can always go back.

Upvote 0
kbp08tls said:
They're both great ROMs. Two completely different philosophies though. Where Mean has everything baked in with some optional mods to flash, Viper has every tweak you can imagine as a setting you can enable with a tap of a button. Overall it's very polished and I can imagine the coding behind getting everything implemented the way they do would be a nightmare. Best part is, you have a choice! Nand your mean setup, flash Viper, and if you don't like it you can always go back.

That's why I'm loving root! This is so cool I wish I did this sooner!

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Viper is all about installation.

You don't flash a rom - you flash the rom installer, it runs like a PC operating system setup wizard, and then decides what to flash from that.

The Viper Tweaks, an included app, have switches and selectors for many of the things you would have to flash otherwise.

The rest is a clever way to apply complete themes, or elements of themes to various components (notification bar pieces can mix-n-match themes), that you can install and use from one central app - it's the big Easy button for theming, from a user perspective.

You can check with the devs, report defects, get news, from an included app called Viper Hub.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Viper is all about installation.

You don't flash a rom - you flash the rom installer, it runs like a PC operating system setup wizard, and then decides what to flash from that.

The Viper Tweaks, an included app, have switches and selectors for many of the things you would have to flash otherwise.

The rest is a clever way to apply complete themes, or elements of themes to various components (notification bar pieces can mix-n-match themes), that you can install and use from one central app - it's the big Easy button for theming, from a user perspective.

You can check with the devs, report defects, get news, from an included app called Viper Hub.

Sounds really cool I'm definitely going to check it out tonight. :D

Just out of curiosity... What are you running on your evo?

Upvote 0
OK, so i backed up with titanium, reset wallet, downloaded the ROM extracted it into a folder and moved it to my SD card. Unmounted my phone and booting into recovery now.. man i feel so cool :cool:

*Update* In recovery, dont see the ROM on my sd.. in recovery figured id check to make sure it was there before i wiped everything?? sorry im such a noob to this still....

Scratch that.. found it in /sdcard2

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Don't forget to make a nandroid backup. :)

What do you mean - extracted it?

Use rom zip packages as they are - don't worry about unzipping them... You'll use the zip file as is.

BTW - the installer does its own wiping.

OK will do on the nandroid.. crap.. does it hurt anything to unzip them? i just extracted it to my desktop and drug it into my SD

Im gonna re-do it just to be safe.. noob mistake.. im glad i posted though.. wont make that mistake again : )

Upvote 0
hmm.. for some reason the installation has frozen on executing full wipe... can i reboot into recovery and try it again?

Give it several more minutes, it's known to do that if you wipe first.

It's performing its own full wipe.

If it still fails to respond, just reboot and restart the process.

Don't sweat being new, we all were once. ;)

Remember, the first rule of rooting is Don't Panic.

Just go slow.

With a nandroid backup, you can always restore and not be really stuck.

Upvote 0
OK, whew.. got it going. Since i did a full wipe while in recovery maybe thats why the viper install got hung up bc it was trying to do one too.. anyways.. did a " battery pull" booted into recovery and restarted.. went smooth.. at the boot animation now which is pretty cool.. just hanging tight while it does its thing. Thanks fellas! :)

<---- Number of posts 666... yikes!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones