• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme

What exactly are your bluetooth problems?

I can pair a headset and my bluetooth keyboard, though it sometimes takes a couple of attempts (probably me hitting buttons too soon, patience is a virtue with network connections). ;)

I am not having any problems pairing. Strangely enough, the pairing seems to work better then stock.

My problem is the sound quality of the phone over bluetooth is terrible. I pair my phone with my car and am able to make phone calls utilizing a built in microphone and the speakers in my car (to be specific, I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX). It is hard to describe, but the sound is very "electronic", like I'm talking to a robot. The person on the other end of the call can hear me fine, it's what I'm hearing that is terrible. Its almost as if something is electronically interfering with the bluetooth... sounds like static interference.

I am also able to stream music over bluetooth to my car's radio and the quality is perfect. The quality over bluetooth only seems to be an issue with phone calls.

I made a backup of my phone prior to flashing BACKside. I restored the backup (back to stock) and the phone quality is crystal clear. I have since put Harmonia on and I have similar issues.

I was going to try MiRaGe, but if all of these are built from IHO/CM7, I may just be wasting my time.

I re-flashed BACKside and will try the bluetooth again on my way to work.

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
Question(s)
1) I currently have 10 Nandroid backups from backing up prior to flashing new builds. Do these take up memory somewhere? Certainly yes...right?
2) How do I get rid of them? I'm assuming I only need one.

They are stored in your external sd card. If you want to delete one just go into file manager. Then select the clockworldmod folder and go into backups. Then you can delete whichever backups you want (they are labelled by the time they were backed up).

Upvote 0
Question(s)
1) I currently have 10 Nandroid backups from backing up prior to flashing new builds. Do these take up memory somewhere? Certainly yes...right?
2) How do I get rid of them? I'm assuming I only need one.

a5pe4 provided good information on the location of the files and how to delete them.

Yes, these files take up space... sometimes a lot of space. Mine are a couple hundred meg per backup.

How many you keep is up to you. I will install a ROM and setup the phone how I like it and then take a backup. This way, I can always come back to the ROM if I don't like the new one.

I have an backup of my stock phone, BACKside and Harmonia. This way, I can easily test a new ROM out and always go back to something else if I don't like it.

I have never personally deleted a backup. If I'm concerned with space on my phone, I move the backup to my computer where I have terabytes worth of free space.

Upvote 0
No matter what I put in the accessibility settings, it would seem that i can't disable having the power button end a call. For some reason I want the display to be turned off when I'm talking to someone on a headset, and I'll invariably hang up on them when I hit the power button.

Settings -> Accessibility Settings -> Power button ends call [currently unchecked]

Upvote 0
Well, even to the latest Backside, I still have problems with app2sd, however, I have found an AMAZING workaround! If you are like me and had problems with app2sd not working (it kept rebooting my phone instead of moving an app to the sd card), read on.

First of all, before trying this, you will want to try the basic trouble shooting, reformatting the card, seeing if other cards don't work too (to make sure it isn't corrupted).
If after everything it still doesn't work, then give DarkTremor's A2SD a try, it moves ALL apps, system apps, widgets, EVERYTHING to the sd, and it leaves sym links to them, it tricks the phone into thinking all the apps are still on the phone when they aren't. It's really pretty easy, just google Darktremor A2SD, there is a facebook page that has the download, partition your sd card, creating an EXT3 partition (I just used gParted on Ubuntu), then once you have an EXT3 partition on the SD card (you want to also have a FAT partition for storing pics music etc.). Once you have the partition done correctly, just place the zip on your sd card, reboot into clockwork recovery, and install the zip (of course you'll probably want to back up phone and sd, I didn't, but I'm a risk taker ;] ), after it installs, reboot, LET IT RUN, it will take a while, I repeat, IT WILL TAKE QUITE A WHILE, it will reboot 2 or three times, the first time on mine it didn't even get past the IHO screen, let it reboot until it stops rebooting, when it reboots it's moving your apps to the sd, after all the waiting it runs SUPER smooth (at least for me). So far at least, it is working like a miracle.

Even if you aren't having much trouble with Backside and App2SD, I recommend checking out this if you are low on space, I can finally install a crap load of apps on my cheap little Optimus V!!! :D (I'm an app junky :p)

Upvote 0
Moving everything to sdcard is a bad idea. Leave system apps alone and keep your important ones on internal memory.

Hey Jerry, I'm wondering about something since you removed 01mvdalvik script from init.d. The script is moving dalvik-cache to /cache, right? But even without it dalvik is still moved and /cache/dalvik-cache folder still replicates /data/dalvik-cache. Isn't that not suppose to happen?
Also my market wont download anything if I leave the new script that links market download cache to /sd-ext/cache/download in init.d. If I link it to /sdcard/cache/download market works fine. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Darktremor's scripts work wonders on some Roms, others? Not so much. nijel is absolutely right about system apps. I keep all my system apps, my launcher, widgets, icons, wallpaper and ringtones on internal memory. Also my must have apps (Dolphin, Titanium Backup, Galcon) live on the phone itself. My logic is I like unmounting my sd card to pop it in a pc all the time, so my phone needs to be able to fully function with no card inserted.

Upvote 0
Moving everything to sdcard is a bad idea. Leave system apps alone and keep your important ones on internal memory.

Hey Jerry, I'm wondering about something since you removed 01mvdalvik script from init.d. The script is moving dalvik-cache to /cache, right? But even without it dalvik is still moved and /cache/dalvik-cache folder still replicates /data/dalvik-cache. Isn't that not suppose to happen?
Also my market wont download anything if I leave the new script that links market download cache to /sd-ext/cache/download in init.d. If I link it to /sdcard/cache/download market works fine. Any thoughts?

If you have some time to experiment with this, everyone could benefit from what you find out. I haven't had any troubles downloading from the market since I made the change, but a few others have. I had written it off to too many apps (I mean really, how many apps can you possibly use?), but I think you might be on to something.

Please let us know what you find works best for you. ;)

Upvote 0
A few of the developers have left the Triumph project. Android 2.3 roms have a power management bug when wifi is on and the hdmi feature does not work.

Well so far my only problems with Triumph are.. 1. GPS takes forever to lock (not this bad with Optimus V) 2. Camera doesn't focus (although apparently it's normal and it still takes pretty clear photos) 3. No more extended battery like my 3600mah one for my Optimus V 4. Status bar brightness control is tweaky (Optimus V was quick; Triumph you have to slowly move your finger across)

BLEH but other than that, it's smooth as silk! Overclocked to 1.7ghz and man it runs fast..

But! I will always love my BACKside Optimus V. It may have lacked in running high end games/apps but simple things like Navigation seems to run better on it. We'll see if this new Triumph can reach my BACKsideV's status

Upvote 0
If you have some time to experiment with this, everyone could benefit from what you find out. I haven't had any troubles downloading from the market since I made the change, but a few others have. I had written it off to too many apps (I mean really, how many apps can you possibly use?), but I think you might be on to something.

Please let us know what you find works best for you. ;)

Here is some data:
-------------------------------
-01mvdalvik present - internal free space 62%, market OK
-01mvdalvik present and dalvik linked to /sd-ext - internal free space 62%, market OK
-01mvdalvik removed - internal free space 23%, market OK
-01mvdalvik removed and dalvik linked to /sd-ext - internal free space 51%, market OK
---------------------------

So 01mvdalvik works for me. Have 13 apps on internal and 72 linked with Link2SD.
What does not work for me definitely is linking market download cache to /sd-ext. However linking it to /sdcard works fine.
Right now i'm running with 01mvdalvik, dalvik linked to /sd-ext and if sometime I experience "low memory space" from market I just link /cache/download to /sdcard/cache/download and I'm OK.

Upvote 0
I am not having any problems pairing. Strangely enough, the pairing seems to work better then stock.

My problem is the sound quality of the phone over bluetooth is terrible. I pair my phone with my car and am able to make phone calls utilizing a built in microphone and the speakers in my car (to be specific, I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX). It is hard to describe, but the sound is very "electronic", like I'm talking to a robot. The person on the other end of the call can hear me fine, it's what I'm hearing that is terrible. Its almost as if something is electronically interfering with the bluetooth... sounds like static interference.

I am also able to stream music over bluetooth to my car's radio and the quality is perfect. The quality over bluetooth only seems to be an issue with phone calls.

I made a backup of my phone prior to flashing BACKside. I restored the backup (back to stock) and the phone quality is crystal clear. I have since put Harmonia on and I have similar issues.

I was going to try MiRaGe, but if all of these are built from IHO/CM7, I may just be wasting my time.

I re-flashed BACKside and will try the bluetooth again on my way to work.

A nice clean flash of BACKside did NOT resolve the bluetooth quality problems. :(

Upvote 0
I really hope the 4/1 release wasn't an April Fools joke, if it was so not cool man! The backside updater said I had an update, so I updated, but then instead of a boot animation I got static, I thought it was a joke boot animation, but it just sat there until it froze all together. I ended up wiping all data because I thought it was a conflict with dark tremor, then reinstalled, did same thing. Turns out I just had to download the previous version and install it, and it worked fine.

I guess I will just take this opertunity to do a fresh install and see if I can use app2sd the normal way...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones