• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme

I've been having issues with screen freezes. I'm running the newest BackSide, and quite often when I turn the screen on, I can see the desktop image instead of the lockscreen. There is no way for me to remedy this except popping the battery. Is this related to the ICS animation or is there another issue that I should look into?

ICS Rotation Animation or Rotation Animation in the April fool's build. Disable, reboot, that should eliminate that issue going forward. Despite numerous attempts to fix this, still seems to be an issue.

Upvote 0
Didn't have any issues with flashing April Fools build. Boot animation almost got me ;) I am however having alot of freezes and rebooted. Even wiped and reflashed. Anyone else having any issues?

*Solved - Had a bad gapps zip

That would explain it! My phone is loving the new build, I was coming from Quattrimus, so I did the full wipe and format. Haven't had any issues yet, the GPS seems to be working very well, I am having fun with the camera, got my notification screen wallpapered.
As always, great work Jerry! I have liked every version just a bit more than the last. I am looking forward to BACKSide ICS when it comes out, that will be the best of both worlds.

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
It is a good update, I just put in a bootanimation that appears to show static and then freeze for a bit of April Fools fun.

I'll have the normal posts and GreenMachineTheme up in a couple of hours. I just couldn't resist watching some of you sweat. ;)

I'm glad I didn't do everything I had thought about doing, or some people would have been calling the FBI! Happy April Fools! :)

Note- there are at least 350 brave souls who downloaded the update prior to this post!

Upvote 0
JerryScript: I don't know what you did to your update, but I now have a brick! Thanks. You know, playing an April fools prank is one thing, but that was the only phone I had. I'm on Unemployment, how I'm I going to get ANOTHER PHONE NOW! My phone isn't even recognized by my PC. That ain't right. That is soooooo WRONG. I can't believe you did that. Whwt where you thinking. This was very bad and just bad timming. I'm am trying to get custody of my daughter and need a working number for the state to contact me. I'm going to have to get a cheapo pay as you go phone. I'm going to loose the money I just put into my monthly phone plan. THANKS>

1- The number of incorrect spellings had me thinking this was a post by cammy

2- We all know you have a phone in every port, after all, that's why your wife left ya

3- Um, don't you already own a cheapo pay as you go phone, it's called the OV

4- Happy April Fools! ;)

Upvote 0
LOL, not really, but I do feel sorry for the girl in another forum who did a complete wipe and reinstall of everything. Well, seeing as how it's April Fools day, I don't feel too sorry. After all, it was just a bootanimation.

I originally had thought of changing all three bootanimations, and the bootsound, as well as the settings that control them. Was going to have it appear as if there was smoke forming under the screen in the first bootanimation, and have the bootsound sizzle and hiss, then give a loud pop, then have the final bootanimation appear as if the smoke was rolling around inside. Then when you booted up, there would be a transparent app launched with all buttons disabled except power. And finally, it would all have been erased after firstboot, leaving no evidence behind. I wrote 3/4 of it, then was browing the forums and noticing a high level of "I Bricked My Phone" threads. Didn't want anyone gullible enough to do something truly stupid because of my prank! ;)

Upvote 0
I was one of the people dling it early this morning. It all went just fine, though made the mistake of loading green theme over the top and it was pretty goofed up visually :) re rom'd it again and will wait for rerelease of the theme :)

squareup reader still doesn't work reliably. Under random unplug plug, volume changes etc it will swipe consistently but stops next time you try again and who knows what it was that got it working.

guess its all in the mic, and cyanogen definitely has its volume/audio issues, sometimes when I put on speakerphone i have to go up/down with volume to get it to not be full blast even though the indicator shows like 20% volume at the start.

Based on this, is it the same problem you think? http://code.google.com/p/cmtouchpad/issues/detail?id=329&start=100

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
The April Fools prank worked on me, but I updated while at work and was frustrated by the static so I reverted to my backup so the phone would keep working. Nice to know it wasn't a full prank. Did you fix the lockscreen freezing issues? I use a PIN lock and it seems to happen fairly regularly, I've only been able to 'correct' it by pulling the battery.

Upvote 0
The April Fools prank worked on me, but I updated while at work and was frustrated by the static so I reverted to my backup so the phone would keep working. Nice to know it wasn't a full prank. Did you fix the lockscreen freezing issues? I use a PIN lock and it seems to happen fairly regularly, I've only been able to 'correct' it by pulling the battery.
There is a change to the pin lockscreen, but it is not a fix for freezing. That should be fixed by disabling rotation animations. Please let me know if the problem persists.

Upvote 0

I think this may be what you want.
Changes 03132012: Reverted fingerprint frameworks and pin landscape commits from CM - needs testing to see if this fixes reports of pin screen not functioning properly

Upvote 0
New build of BACKside is up:

Download via the BacksideUpdater

or

BACKside-IHO-VM670-04012012.zip
md5sum ea8f3024af8061d450ac478750cd53b5

GreenMachineTheme-04012012.zip

Changes:
-Synced with CM
-- fix for swiping actions that get stuck on corners
-- fixes for pattern lockscreen showing battery status and pin request even if lockscreen is disabled
-- option to disable ICS rotation animations are now a part of CM

-Fixed bootanimation chooser to work with most file managers
-Tweaked system icon colors to better match connected status colors
-Added options to hide alarm clock and signal bars in system icons
-Added easter eggs to thank LeslieAnn for the use of her build server and jcase for his work rooting the security update
-Special April Fools bootanimation, overrides all other bootanimations

Note - to restore your normal bootanimation functionality, use a root file manager and detete:
/system/media/AprilFools.zip ;)

Thanks to Blarf, BobZhome, mrg666, LeslieAnn, tdm, gannon, Whyzor, bigsupersquid, drewwalton, the CM and AOSP teams, and everyone that contributes to this community!

Upvote 0
There is a change to the pin lockscreen, but it is not a fix for freezing. That should be fixed by disabling rotation animations. Please let me know if the problem persists.

How do I disable rotation animations? I'm not familiar with this. (Never mind, apparently I forgot how to Google things for a moment. I figured this part out.)

Also, there seems to be two docks with this build the default and I'm able to flip it away to reveal an additional dock that has a mirrored effect that I like quite a bit. Do you know how to permanently disable the initial dock?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones