• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme

07272011 build is up, see OP for download. Mostly build.prop changs to fix Android Market web interface installer.

@ajgates92: I used to only connect to one tower from my dead-zone home, after switching to the hybrid PRL, I now connect to one of four towers, so I do usually get better reception, though it still isn't incredible. To save battery life, I turn off 3g when at home, since I use my wifi network there, and I turn wifi off and 3g on when I leave (Power Control widget ;) )

Upvote 0
Hm, if I turn off 3g, does that affect any texts or calls I would receive?
3G and WiFi are for the Market and the Internet. The phone and text is still a phone, and operates separately from the Internet side. I have now been turning off Data and WiFi when not needed and have been experiencing just as good battery life as some apps that do it for you but seem to be hard to control.I have made calls out,haven't received any text or incoming calls yet as I just started this procedure this morning. I did have to turn WiFi on to add contact to google account.

Reactions: ajgates92
Upvote 0
LOVE this rom...however (always a catch I guess :/) it seems as if the TWS wasn't fixed? I have not so good (actually horrible) reception in my home and with the bumblebee ROM it wasn't an issue. This rom however, I ran out of battery in 7 hours. Help?

screenshot-1311827179205.png

screenshot-1311826968261.png

screenshot-1311827197928.png

I really hate using airplane mode, as I get no texts. I text A LOT and airplane mode would defeat the purpose of even having a phone.. I moved all the apps I could to SD, so maybe that is a bigger issue.

@bhasden can you please list ALL the apps you moved? I would like to see if it's those apps messing with my battery as well.

I don't remember exactly all the apps I moved, but it included Beautiful Widgets, Gmail, and just about everything else. If I were you, I'd uninstall and/or move all the apps back to the phone's internal memory and start from there. Once I had everything off the SD card, I reformatted it to remove any remaining artifacts and then only moved the apps over to the SD card that showed up on the "SD" tab of the Applications section in the phones Settings. Since then, I haven't had any battery issues on either my or my wife's phone.

Reactions: ajgates92
Upvote 0
Has anybody tried to install Build#07272011 using Xionia recovery? I got a forceclose window for google services phone? At least I think that's what it said. After hitting fix permissions box 3times and it kept poping up,I got out of there as fast as I could and back into recovery. Did restore. I will try this one more time but with ClockWorkMod instead. Details to follow,if I can remember how to flash a recovery.(I'm the worst kind of "Nuub", an old "Nuub") EDIT: OK just got done booting into it and I got the same thing as before:The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly.WARNING! This process has one or more of it's pemissions REVOKED which may cause it to malfunction. Please grant it's permissions and try again. It has a white box with :Reset Permissions. When I select it the window goes away for a couple of seconds then pops back up. When in both recovery's all I did when coming from the last build to this one was Wipe cache partion,and Wipe Dalvik cache. Could the download have gotten corrupted some how?(I hate being a "Nuub" sometimes).I don't have any problem going back to the restored build.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear that it's just a corrupted download. Will download and try again. I think I'm going to take the SD card out and transfer the downloaded file that way.EDIT: OK rebooting now. Good boot animation,Home screen looks OK, Still got that stupid window. This sounds like a job for the Shell Answer Man. Dun data duuun. Got to get some sleep. will check back tomorrow.

Upvote 0
3G and WiFi are for the Market and the Internet. The phone and text is still a phone, and operates separately from the Internet side. I have now been turning off Data and WiFi when not needed and have been experiencing just as good battery life as some apps that do it for you but seem to be hard to control.I have made calls out,haven't received any text or incoming calls yet as I just started this procedure this morning. I did have to turn WiFi on to add contact to google account.

I believe, though could be wrong, that receiving MMS runs over your data network... The reason I've come to this conclusion is that I fail to receive picture messages when I turn my 3G off (which I do and can run for about a day and half and still only be at 20%). Could be something else, I'm not a phone expert so YMMV I guess...

Upvote 0
Glad to hear that it's just a corrupted download. Will download and try again. I think I'm going to take the SD card out and transfer the downloaded file that way.EDIT: OK rebooting now. Good boot animation,Home screen looks OK, Still got that stupid window. This sounds like a job for the Shell Answer Man. Dun data duuun. Got to get some sleep. will check back tomorrow.

This could be caused by the Green Machine Theme, I'm not sure I updated the link, and you will need the latest build of the theme.

Edit: Just updated the link in the OP for the theme, sorry I missed that, should fix your phone permissions error, please let me know.

Upvote 0
LOVE this rom...however (always a catch I guess :/) it seems as if the TWS wasn't fixed? I have not so good (actually horrible) reception in my home and with the bumblebee ROM it wasn't an issue. This rom however, I ran out of battery in 7 hours. Help?

I really hate using airplane mode, as I get no texts. I text A LOT and airplane mode would defeat the purpose of even having a phone.. I moved all the apps I could to SD, so maybe that is a bigger issue.

Those are some terrible battery drains. To troubleshoot, I would suggest turning off the 3G data (keep cell phone signal on for calls & regular SMS, but MMS won't work). If your battery improves then that means an app is sucking power in the background using the 3G data. Also check settings - Application - Running services to see which apps are actively running in the background. That should narrow down which apps are misbehaving.

Upvote 0
Those are some terrible battery drains. To troubleshoot, I would suggest turning off the 3G data (keep cell phone signal on for calls & regular SMS, but MMS won't work). If your battery improves then that means an app is sucking power in the background using the 3G data. Also check settings - Application - Running services to see which apps are actively running in the background. That should narrow down which apps are misbehaving.
I like your way of thinking. You seem to have good trouble shooting skills. TO JerryScript: I did get it to quit with the force closing after using the updated theme,but WiFi and 3g was a no go. I got the icons,but the were only lit up white,not the next stage of green. Tried all kinds of combinations of wipes after going to recovery from the Restore(made sure I rebooted twice before going to recovery). Last install of build I didn't install Green Machine theme. Everything works great,and CPU speed is back up to 787Hz-480Hz with no glitches(except for the usual pic. in the gallery,I have 44 pics.,so one ain't bad). I'm going to set all my apps and widgets were I want them,reboot twice,then go into recovery(CWM) and flash the theme.EDIT: Worked great everything is functioning properly. I guess my phone is kind of picky. Will remember to flash the theme after a couple of reboots with any subsequent builds. Remember......(I'm not just a member,I'm a "Nuub")

Upvote 0
Glad you got it working! I always flash the theme separately, but it really shouldn't be necessary, however if it works....

I also have a single pic that never shows a thumbnail, makes me think the pic itself may be the issue.

Note- If you have trouble flashing updates to this ROM, try not only wiping cache/dalvik-cache, but also formating boot and system but not data. This should give you a cleaner slate to install to, and yet not delete your apps. ;)

Upvote 0
Glad you got it working! I always flash the theme separately, but it really shouldn't be necessary, however if it works....

I also have a single pic that never shows a thumbnail, makes me think the pic itself may be the issue.

Note- If you have trouble flashing updates to this ROM, try not only wiping cache/dalvik-cache, but also formating boot and system but not data. This should give you a cleaner slate to install to, and yet not delete your apps. ;)
Thanks I'll try to remember that.

Upvote 0
Just downloaded and installed this ROM with the theme and it looks and performs great on my phone so far. I'm also not having the issue with my phone only ringing once on incoming calls.

My only concern is the amount of space I have internally and on my card. Really, I'm not sure if any of these numbers are normal and was hoping if someone could give me their opinion.

Right now, I only have a few small apps installed (not including those that come with the ROM). As far as my internal storage is concerned, I have 156MB of 179MB free. This I would assume is about right? Now, my SD card looks a little full. I have 281MB remaining out of 1.86GB. I did notice it was mentioned that there were a lot of extra files that came with this ROM. My question is are those being stored on my card? Also, which files are okay to delete from my card? Can I remove the ROM and gapps zips (which look to be the biggest) or should those remain?

Upvote 0
The ROM doesn't install anything to the sdcard, but if you've been making backups they could be filling up your sdcard fast.

You can uninstall everything you mentioned except Superuser, that is necessary on a rooted phone to do the stuff rooting allows. I wouldn't recomend uninstalling any of those apps though, they are all pretty small, and quite helpful in the long run.

If you want to uninstall things, get rid of the various live wallpaper apks (not the live wallpaper chooser though), the theme apks (Anroidian and Cyanabread), FM radio apk (doesn't work on our phone), and if you like you can exchange the LatinIME included with a lighter weight version.

Upvote 0
Here's all the stuff I remove after install a new version of the ROM. Consider it a 'safe' list since I haven't had any problems running without them. You can use it as a starting point for your own apps to keep.

rm /system/media/bootanimation.zip
rm /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg
rm /system/app/Androidian.apk
rm /system/app/Calculator.apk
rm /system/app/CarHomeGoogle.apk
rm /system/app/CMStats.apk
rm /system/app/CMWallpapers.apk
rm /system/app/Cyanbread.apk
rm /system/app/DSPManager.apk
rm /system/app/Email.apk
rm /system/app/FM.apk
rm /system/app/GenieWidget.apk
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
rm /system/app/GoogleFeedback.apk
rm /system/app/GooglePartnerSetup.apk
rm /system/app/LatinImeTutorial.apk
rm /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
rm /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
rm /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
rm /system/app/OneTimeInitializer.apk
rm /system/app/Protips.apk
rm /system/app/ThemeChooser.apk
rm /system/app/ThemeManager.apk
rm /system/app/Pacman.apk
rm /system/app/CMUpdateNotify.apk
rm /system/app/Development.apk
rm /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk

Upvote 0
Lastest build is up: BACKside-IHO-VM670-07302011.zip

See Blarf's post at xda for details on changes:

- BT functionality improved, need testers with feedback please
- Camera functionality improved
- Custom ringtones working
I just woke up(can only get 4 hours sleep at a time) and checked thread. Trying to get the sleep out of my eye's and focus. Snap! Did that say BT as in Bluetooth. Bluetooth functionality improved, need testers with feedback. Well I'm all over that. To early in the morning to wake anybody up. But soon as I can will be trying it out with my car visor bluetooth unit. Now I don't know if I can get back to sleep. AAAALLLLRIGHT!!!!IT WORKS,IT WORKS,BLUETOOTH WORKS. Everything worked,I mean everything. Bluetooth call quality,voice dial,and all the functions that my visor mount unit came with. WOW! WAY TO GO Blarfie and JerryScript. Even when LG/VM decide to update the "V" to Gingerbread, it won't even come close to this ROM. Thanks for all the hard work,waking up at the computer,and answering all the questions that come with designing a new ROM.

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
First, I want to say thanks for this amazing ROM. It runs like butter compared to my old ROM(aOSP). Loving it so far.

Now, on to the complaints! Actually, I only have one complaint. It keeps giving me an error saying the Google account authentication failed. Therefore, I can't use any of the Google services. That means no Android Market installations, no GMail, GTalk, Google Music, no nothing.

I'd appreciate some help here.

Upvote 0
I had a few problems that were from installing the theme with the ROM. Install the ROM first. Then after a couple of reboots,install the theme. Also Even though the ROM's are forked off the same tree, you might want to do a complete wipe(cache wipe,Dalvik wipe,data/factory reset wipe,format boot,format system,format data,format cache. If that doesn't work go into your google account and check your mobile settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones