• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP]CM7 Port for Vortex VS660

Hello,

i'm entirely new to forums and pretty new to mods. I have installed cm7 and I absolutely love it. I've had a few minor issues, but through this forum i've been able to resolve most of them. The one thing that is still kicking me in the tail is the auto rotation. I just cant seem to get it. right now I just feel lost... Quite simply Please help!

Upvote 0
hello all,

I would like to thank you all for your work and dedication to this thread and for creating and improving the CM port for the LG Vortex. (esp. bobzhome, kappacat , geoffrey, and jacob) My wife has the vortex and has pretty hated every minute of owning it, but we are really unable to purchase something newer and better at this exact moment, so we have had to live with it. I rooted my defy and installed the CM port on there, so i knew CM could vastly improve her experience. anyway long story short, i read thru this entire forum and did some more research and here are the results:

Phone was already rooted, so i followed jacob's youtube guide (part 2) to install the custom recovery. that manual method that he follows, worked perfectly.

installed the newest version of CM that bob created, 7.2.0 or something like that. cam was fine, no rotation, turned off animation, but yes, the call volume was extremely low.

installed the nandbackup from..geoffrey (i think)..whomever had the liquid backups as well...but only used the basic "improved on bob's version". Now, everything appears to work fine, except the animation on the screen lock is a problem. yes, i turned off all animations in the settings. It will come back from the black screen very slowly. I figured out a work around though. I changed the unlock function to use the menu button. That works smoothly and quickly, rather than the screen swipe. If you want further protection, you can disable to screen lock altogether and add a pin code.

now she has a great experience and a lot more memory and resources to work with! thanks all.

Upvote 0
hello all,

I would like to thank you all for your work and dedication to this thread and for creating and improving the CM port for the LG Vortex. (esp. bobzhome, kappacat , geoffrey, and jacob) My wife has the vortex and has pretty hated every minute of owning it, but we are really unable to purchase something newer and better at this exact moment, so we have had to live with it. I rooted my defy and installed the CM port on there, so i knew CM could vastly improve her experience. anyway long story short, i read thru this entire forum and did some more research and here are the results:

Phone was already rooted, so i followed jacob's youtube guide (part 2) to install the custom recovery. that manual method that he follows, worked perfectly.

installed the newest version of CM that bob created, 7.2.0 or something like that. cam was fine, no rotation, turned off animation, but yes, the call volume was extremely low.

installed the nandbackup from..geoffrey (i think)..whomever had the liquid backups as well...but only used the basic "improved on bob's version". Now, everything appears to work fine, except the animation on the screen lock is a problem. yes, i turned off all animations in the settings. It will come back from the black screen very slowly. I figured out a work around though. I changed the unlock function to use the menu button. That works smoothly and quickly, rather than the screen swipe. If you want further protection, you can disable to screen lock altogether and add a pin code.

now she has a great experience and a lot more memory and resources to work with! thanks all.

I think I speak on behalf of the LG Vortex Developing community, but Glad your enjoying it! :D

Upvote 0
Okay so I've been quite lazy lately due to a broken wrist. I have uploaded bobs CM7 with all fixes once again. I also have a ROM running liquid settings if any of you are familiar with their ROMs for the HTC Thunderbolt. I swiped some pieces from their Thunderbolt ROM. It's a lil buggy but it does add some nice features, I call it Liquid Bob ;) If someone, especially Kappacat can help make it better that would be awesome. I know for sure it is missing parts.

Bob's CM7 with fixes - Rapidshare
Bob's CM7 with Liquid Settings "Liquid Bob" - Rapidshare

Bob's CM7 with fixes - Mediafire
Bob's CM7 with Liquid Settings "Liquid Bob" - Mediafire
now i use it. wifi, 3g signal, camera, rotation, overclock kernel is OK.

Upvote 0
hello I installed CM7 last summer and it has worked flawlessly. before flashing CM7, in my spare time I worked on coding augmented reality apps /games. this was my testing device.

since switching I have not had the time to code, though I still re installed some of my favorite AR apps, like Satellite AR etc. for the first time a few weeks ago, I tried to open these apps, and the camera is doing something very bizarre.

let me just say first of all, the default-ish video camera app, works flawlessly.
but when any other app tries to import video feed, it seems to be split in two/three horizontal sections.

the bottom and top are the same. like a doubled image. all the over layed info from the app is there, but there two of them.

secondly, in the middle, there is no camera feed but the app data is there and it...not sure how to put this, replicates or "artifacts" leaving a trail of data.

I know this is probably just some simple sort of registry or setting type of problem, but as yet I have been unable to pinpoint it. could someone install Satellite AR or some other AR app to see if they are getting the same error? Maybe I just need to re flash, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to as, everything else seems to be working perfectly.

Or maybe someone knows of a setting or quick fix that I have over looked. Thanks.

VII

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That is the camera bug discussed early in this thread. It is fixed in the best form I've found, which is the 1/19/12 build and GNM kernel. It also fixes a couple other bugs to make everyday use better.

https://sites.google.com/site/bobzhomeroms/vs660
for 1/19/12 build

http://androidforums.com/vortex-all-things-root/307859-gpl-long-last-overclock-your-vortex.html
GNM kernel

Thank you for your response.

I'm already using that kernel, but was using BobZhome-110911.

I just want to make sure, because rereading my description I worded it oddly, but, when I use the AR ap, the camera feed is there with data layered on, but there's two of them one on top and the other on the bottom. In the middle there's no camera, but artifact ed data piling up.

Well, I flash the new ROM and report back. Thank you for the help OhSeven.

VII

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response.

I'm already using that kernel, but was using BobZhome-110911.

I just want to make sure, because rereading my description I worded it oddly, but, when I use the AR ap, the camera feed is there with data layered on, but there's two of them one on top and the other on the bottom. In the middle there's no camera, but artifact ed data piling up.

Well, I flash the new ROM and report back. Thank you for the help OhSeven.

VII

Scratch that. It didn't work. In fact, neither the camera nor the "camcorder" app are functional now. So, fail.

Reverting back to what I had before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones