• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] CyanogenMod 7 | Android 2.3.5 | Last Version: CM7-Triumph-09182011 (discontinued)

isaacj87

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
github.com
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damages (bricking/phone ruining) occurred while flashing or using this ROM. By using this ROM, you understand that that I am not liable for any or all consequences of using this ROM. If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T TRY IT. Use at your own risk!​

SPECIAL NOTE:
Here's why I'm discontinuing my builds: http://androidforums.com/3232997-post400.html

What works:

- RIL/3G
- Sound
- A2DP
- DSP Manager
- Wifi
- Bluetooh
- Keymapping
- EGL/GPU (this was a big thing for me)
- LED/Button lights
- Screen rotate/orientation
- Touchscreen with multitouch
- USB mounting
- CRT screen off animation
- Vibrate
- Ambient light sensors
- Proximity sensors

What partially works
:

- Camera (rear-facing only)

What doesn't work
:

- Front-facing camera
- GPS

Known issues:

- The same issues that plague Tickerguy's builds. We're building from the same source.

Credits:

I owe a great deal to Tickerguy (https://github.com/tickerguy). Not only as he picked up the CM7-Triumph project where I left off, he's been kind enough to keep me in the loop as he continues to work on it. Admittedly, Tickerguy's experience and knowledge far exceeds my own and I've learned a great deal from him. He got radio, audio, MMS, camera, and many other things working. Essentially, all the things I couldn't figure out, he did.

I also owe thanks to DooMLoRD for letting me use his awesome OC kernel patch.

Recovery:

I also have my own CWM port for the Triumph. Since I got everything working, it's been running like a champ. I've themed it a bit to make it unique, but it's still Clockwork recovery at its core. I've currently put this up (minus the custom colors and graphics) for review to be included in ROM Manager. You can watch its progress here: http://github.com/koush/ROMManagerManifest/issues/311

The keymapping in my recovery is:

- Volume up/down to navigate
- Menu to select
- Back to go backwards

Downloads:

Recovery:

Current:

CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5: recovery-cwm-4.0.1.5-triumph.zip

Code:
md5sum: 42db96437e9a30c38f56a94bd40d6325
Old:

ikarosCWM Recovery v4.0.1.4:
recovery-ikarosCWM-4.0.1.4-triumph.zip

ROM:

Current:

CM7-Triumph-09182011: CM7-Triumph-09182011-signed.zip

Code:
md5sum: b380624586b0543b878b9eee8239903e

Old:

Alpha preview build 1 (08122011):
update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-Triumph-KANG-signed.zip

GAPPS:

Latest Version:
Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

Installation:

(ALWAYS MAKE NANDROID BACKUPS TO BE SAFE!!)

• Download ROM and GAPPS packages and place them in the main folder of your SDcard
  • Install my custom recovery
  • Power off phone and boot into recovery mode
  • Choose "Wipe data/factory reset"
  • Navigate to "mounts and storage"
  • Choose "format /system"
  • Go back to main menu and choose "install zip from sdcard" then, "choose zip from sdcard"
  • Navigate to the ROM package and install it.
  • Again, go back to main menu and choose "install zip from sdcard" then, "choose zip from sdcard"
  • Flash the GAPPS package.
  • Once it finishes, go back to the main menu and reboot.

NOTE:
The GAPPS package is necessary to complete the Android experience (it contains the Market, among other things).

NOTE:
First boot will take some time. Once you get to the CM7 boot splash, you're golden.

Screenies:

screenshot-1316384823076.png
screenshot-1316384845325.png
screenshot-1316387497312.png

Upvote 0
Excellent news, Isaac.

Thanks much for your weeks of dedication and hard work. With all the poor connectivity/inability to call or use data issues I've been having, your development efforts and a future Motorola kernel release give me hope that the Triumph will be usable -- and be more than just a media player!

Upvote 0
I cant get mine pass the Motorola symbol i waited like 20 mins and followed every step. Doing a nandroid restore now hopefully i dont have any problems.
Can yall help me if you dont mind?

Sounds like a bad flash. Did you have the USB cable plugged in? If so, try it again without the cable plugged in.

Are you using my recovery as well?

Upvote 0
Not anything to do with CM7. This started happening on the stock ROM. I shouldn't of even mentioned it on this thread as I don't want it to get off-topic.

EDIT: Problem doesn't occur in CM7.

This is really why we need a custom ROM. at this point, no one knows for sure of any of the issues with the Triumph are hardware or software based. The only certain hardware problem would be the bad screen, but the GPS, cell reception, the usb mounting, the camera focus, the battery, any of those could be software that a functioning CM7 would fix.

/me site patiently and waits for the motorola source to be released ...

Upvote 0
This is really why we need a custom ROM. at this point, no one knows for sure of any of the issues with the Triumph are hardware or software based. The only certain hardware problem would be the bad screen, but the GPS, cell reception, the usb mounting, the camera focus, the battery, any of those could be software that a functioning CM7 would fix.

/me site patiently and waits for the motorola source to be released ...

If custom ROMs can repair the reception and GPS, that would be fantastic news. Hopefully BB/Target will still sale promotions then :)

Upvote 0
hey guys i just had a question about isaacs cwm... would someone be able to flash a zip such as a custom boot animation using it? ive tried several and i seem to get the same error every time "finding update package, opening update package, installing update, installation aborted".

edit- i forgot to mention that i wiped the dalvik cache and formatted /data, /cache and /system

Upvote 0
hey guys i just had a question about isaacs cwm... would someone be able to flash a zip such as a custom boot animation using it? ive tried several and i seem to get the same error every time "finding update package, opening update package, installing update, installation aborted".

edit- i forgot to mention that i wiped the dalvik cache and formatted /data, /cache and /system

Turn off signature verification and asserts. If that doesn't work look at the log and see what's the real reason it won't flash.

Upvote 0
K so I flashed and unflashed this morning with no problems. Everyone needs to make sure they wipe cache, data, and dalvik cache for a clean boot. It was an extremely fast boot also. I didn't notice any response issues, its not an overclock kernal (but that's obvious) and I didn't benchmark it cuz I don't have an APk of linpack saved to my SD. DSP lmanger continuously forced closed, although I never tried To use it, or play music for that matter. Anyways Issac, u are seriously great I'm happy ur here to guide us along.

Upvote 0
Nope first time I have tried cm7. I love it- can't wait till the kinks are all worked out. I also was able to get the version from your repo built and I booted from it fine.

Hey, since you're one of the people who are building CM7 from my sources, I pushed a hopeful fix for WIFI. If you can do this, rebuild and let me know if it works, I'd appreciate it. I don't have time today to try it myself.

Go into the android source and delete hardware/libhardware_legacy

Make clobber to clean up and repo sync -j16 to get everything new as usual.

Then rebuild like this:

Code:
. build/envsetup.sh && USE_LAUNCHER2=true brunch triumph
I've modified their source to allow building the original GB Launcher2 over ADW. I would send the patch up for review, but they've already rejected it so many times from others. I'm not sure why. In any case, let me know if wifi starts magically working. :)

EDIT: BTW, the Spice kernel wasn't helping anything. I removed it and the keymapping should be fixed now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones