• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Wish List -- Recommendations?

toasty

Android Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2010
Been messing around with different ROMs, trying to find one that meets all of my needs and wants. Thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had a favorite that they could recommend.

Must have:
4G
Major Components working
Drop down task bar toggles that includes WiFi, 4G, and Data

Nice to Have
Not using Sense (I use LauncherPro Plus anyway)
Fairly neutral theming

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've used both VirusROM Airborne and Kings Unleashed, and I like them both, but I find that I really need those toggles in the task bar.

Been messing around with different ROMs, trying to find one that meets all of my needs and wants. Thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had a favorite that they could recommend.

Must have:
4G
Major Components working

Nice to Have
Fairly neutral theming

I've used both VirusROM Airborne and Kings Unleashed, and I like them both, but I find that I really need those toggles in the task bar.

CM7, launcherpro works, drop-down toggles, 4G works, GPS works...... I would recommend flashing Nightly 77, everything works that I could tell;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses, quick follow up question re CM7: are the things that are listed in this post things that you will definitely have to do, or just things that you may have to do? I've heard great things about CM7, but it seems like a lot of hassle as compared to other ROMS, if these are all necessary steps.

Upvote 0

Must have:
4G
Major Components working

Nice to Have
Fairly neutral theming

I use FreshEvo 3.5.0.1 (fits your Must have list).

I didn't like the battery icon theme in FreshEvo so I used the Ultimate Online Theme Kitchen to change it (possibly fits your Nice to have list). UOT Kitchen can change a lot regarding the theme of most ROMs.

I don't use sense, I prefer LauncherPro, and I'm getting about 20 hours out of the battery with moderate use.

There's an app in the market called Quick Settings, it displays a page of toggles for all of the wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode, 4g, etc toggles on the phone (takes care of the drop-down notification widget needs). I use one of the dockbar swipe gestures to launch Quick Settings.. fast and easy.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the intel, all. Running CM7, and I gotta say, it is very slick. I'm even starting to come around to ADW, going to try using that for a bit and see what I think.

try out launcher pro... its got some pretty sick (and slick for that matter) options for layout, custom icon choosing, etc etc tons of menus to go thru and make pretty kinda almost overly specific tweaks, but its b/a to be able to dictate all that stuff, anyways. try out tiamat for your kernel... its bomb too lol

ocn- you know what man, how funny would this be, i just one day come in threads and recommend sprint lovers to everyone for like 2 weeks, never actually using it, then suddenly change back LoL!

Upvote 0
try out launcher pro... its got some pretty sick (and slick for that matter) options for layout, custom icon choosing, etc etc tons of menus to go thru and make pretty kinda almost overly specific tweaks, but its b/a to be able to dictate all that stuff, anyways. try out tiamat for your kernel... its bomb too lol

ocn- you know what man, how funny would this be, i just one day come in threads and recommend sprint lovers to everyone for like 2 weeks, never actually using it, then suddenly change back LoL!

LMOA!yeah that would really confuse me and everybody else. since you would be going in that direction you should also recommend netarchy toastmod kernels like you do with the tiamat kernels.:)lol.

Upvote 0
i just cant think of one thing that a sense rom does better

Pickup friggin' signal. At least on my phone that is. I was really liking the AOSP/GB ROM i had this weekend, even after it took me a couple days to work out all the issues that aren't fixed right outta the box (GPS, VVM, etc). I had read about senseless ROMs not showing as many bars and/or not showing 3G for signal, but like others, i felt that was more of a "true" showing of signal. Proved that theory wrong this weekend in the boonies running AOSP. Had to switch back to Myn's just to get a bar or 2 back and access data. If I wasn't in a marshy armpit of southeast SC, i'm not sure if i'd have ever known it was an issue. Now i'm on the hunt for another GB AOSP ROM to try but don't feel like jumping thru hoops to get basic functionality :(

Upvote 0

I'm actually a big fan of launcher pro -- been using that for a while, just decided to stick with ADW in Cyanogen to give the ROM a try the way it was designed for a bit before going back to LPP. I'm finding there are some things that LPP does better than ADW and vice-versa. I love the scrollable dock in LPP. ADW's hidden dock does the same thing, I suppose, but not near as well, IMO. The screen transitions in ADW EX are uber cool, tho...

Upvote 0
Pickup friggin' signal. At least on my phone that is. I was really liking the AOSP/GB ROM i had this weekend, even after it took me a couple days to work out all the issues that aren't fixed right outta the box (GPS, VVM, etc). I had read about senseless ROMs not showing as many bars and/or not showing 3G for signal, but like others, i felt that was more of a "true" showing of signal. Proved that theory wrong this weekend in the boonies running AOSP. Had to switch back to Myn's just to get a bar or 2 back and access data. If I wasn't in a marshy armpit of southeast SC, i'm not sure if i'd have ever known it was an issue. Now i'm on the hunt for another GB AOSP ROM to try but don't feel like jumping thru hoops to get basic functionality :(

Your signal will not be any different with an AOSP rom versus a Sense rom. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm actually a big fan of launcher pro -- been using that for a while, just decided to stick with ADW in Cyanogen to give the ROM a try the way it was designed for a bit before going back to LPP. I'm finding there are some things that LPP does better than ADW and vice-versa. I love the scrollable dock in LPP. ADW's hidden dock does the same thing, I suppose, but not near as well, IMO. The screen transitions in ADW EX are uber cool, tho...

I was the same way with ADW and CM roms, but after I went ahead and bought LauncherPro, I've never looked back. Some say ADW EX has some good features but....... I'm sticking with LP. As soon as I load up any AOSP rom, the first thing I do is uninstall the launcher and download LP:)

Upvote 0
Your signal will not be any different with an AOSP rom versus a Sense rom. ;)

How so, when they indeed were different? As noted by numerous others inquiring about the change from 3G to 1x in the icon, and most replies state "AOSP gives your true signal strength vs sense that always show 3G", I flat out had poor to no connectivity on AOSP where granted the signal was very weak, but on a sense ROM I was able to maintain a connection with at least 1 bar more than AOSP showed in the exact same location. That was about as "real world" of a test you can get. ;)

We may have to just agree to disagree lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones