• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM with GSM capability

thejakal

Aug 6, 2011
Got the DInc2 last week and rooted and put on Virtuous Unity. Spent a lot of time tweaking it, got it just where I like it, and am happy with everything. Except I'm about to go overseas and have just discovered, Virtuous Unity does not support GSM mode in this phone! AAAARRRGH! Now I have just a few days to put on a new ROM if I want to use my phone on travel...

So, two questions:
1 - What are good ROMs that DO support GSM?
2 - I used Titanium Backup to freeze a lot of bloatware and stuff I don't use. If I flash another ROM, will those frozen apps cause trouble?
3 - Will Titanium Backups of apps remain if I flash a new ROM?
4 - Do Titanium Backups of apps backup their settings? Like, say, if Angry Birds is backed up, if I restore it, will it restore the save files? (no, that's not the most important one, but it's a simple example!)

1.RMK 2.3 gingerbread. its the stock rom with just bloatware removed and root apps added.
2. you dont have to freeze anything. if you are rooted, you can just uninstall the apps you dont want. the rmk rom already does this for you.
3. yes you can restore from titanium into the new rom.
4. yes. just choose to restore the apps+data.

Reactions: thejakal
Upvote 0
1.RMK 2.3 gingerbread. its the stock rom with just bloatware removed and root apps added.
2. you dont have to freeze anything. if you are rooted, you can just uninstall the apps you dont want. the rmk rom already does this for you.
3. yes you can restore from titanium into the new rom.
4. yes. just choose to restore the apps+data.

Thanks!
Link to RMK ROM? The XDA thread seems defunct now that the dev left XDA?

EDIT: Found it!

Upvote 0
The latest nightly of CM7 supports GSM on the dinc2; however, with some caveats..
Only GPRS is supported. Yes this is incredibly lame, but I have found no way around it.

To get GSM working:

Open the telephone app and dial *#*#4636#*#*
Goto Phone Information
Scroll to the bottom and set the preferred network type to "GSM Only"
Click "Turn off Radio"
Click "Turn on Radio"

At this point, the telephone app should start crashing. Now follow the sql database editing as shown in this CM issue..

Issue 2928 - cyanogenmod - 2g/3g toggle does not work in Powerwidge-throws phone into a loop - CyanogenMod Android ROM - Google Project Hosting

Add your APN settings for Verizon (I have found that a backup program works wonders for this), then turn on international roaming in the Wireless Setting menu.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON: If you enable 3g mode in ANY way, no cellular network services will ever work on this rom, unless you reflash/backup/etc.

After that, you should at least have GPRS service.

Cheers, mmx

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones