1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

rom won't flash

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by syi, May 16, 2011.

1. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

I'm not too upset about not being able to flash the latest cyanogen mod, but now recovery won't work at all, my original NAND from when i first rooted is gone, and when i try to select recovery it says no image and goes back to the fastboot screen.

I rooted it unrevoked, then i did a wipe, made a NAND of my current stock settings, then used it normally until just a few days ago.

now I'm interested to start using custom roms and kernels, but this happened. I downloaded ROMmanager, flashed clockworkmod, tried to DL cyanogen through it but it got stuck at 85%. so i DLed the rom straight from the website linked in the FAQ. 3.0.7.1 i think?

so I'm in a bind if something does happen to my phone

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

So, most people recommend not using RomManager. Most people I know are actually using Amon Ra for their recovery (so the process will be slightly different)

What happened to your Stock Nand? Is it backed up on your computer? If so, copy that over to your SD card (so it's on both the SD card and computer).

Is your phone working? 4g, calls, texts?

I'm not sure the exact steps for Clockwork Recovery, but I'd guess it's very similar to Amon ra.

By the way, you should make a nandroid backup before you wipe.

The steps are usually:

Boot into recovery,
    backup,
    wipe ( I use the Wipe All zip and flash that )
    then flash your rom and reboot.

Try that and if that doesn't work post back with some more details.

3. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

Where the hell did your nand go? It saves on your sd card in the rom manager folder....shouldn't ever go anywhere...

So you can get to recovery? If not you'll need to flash the pc36img for the recovery of your choice first to get recovery back....

it will always so no image unless you are flashing a file...if you go to recovery after that does it go or go to fast boot?

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i agree that rom manager is not the best option to flash things. you should be doing things manually. so i'm confused, can you or can you not get into recovery?

5. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

I never made a "stock" nand, like pre root, if theres a way to i didn't see it. I made a NAND back up right after i rooted with unrevoked forever, full wipe, no apps, no contatacts.

my phone has been, and is still working fine, 4g,wifi,tethering,calls txts, all of it. my only complaint is i have shitty 3g coverage in my house.

recovery isn't working, i try to boot into recovery and it just takes me back to the boot menu after saying no image, i tried booting right after to see if it would boot into recovery but it just boots into the OS.

6. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert

sounds like you need to flash a recovery then

7. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

Well you need to get recovery before you can flash, restore, or back up anything. hopefully someone comes through with a link for that...

8. ocnbrze

ok so when you power off then press on hold power+vol down that should take you to the hboot (bootloader). it will automatically scan for an img file. if there isn't one on your sd card it will say no image found. then it will give a list of options. select recovery and it should take you there. now if there is no option for recovery then yeah you do not have one or is corrupted. since you can still boot up you can still get a recovery. use ref #1 in my sig to select your recovery. i recommend that you use amon ra 2.3. follow directions on that link to install it. any questions you know where to ask it.

9. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

so i should just run unrevoked forever agian? or do i need to do something else?

10. ocnbrze

nope look u^

11. beastinbolts

I would suggest using amon ra.. how ever I think you said a little bit ago that you made a back up with rom manager that will most likly be a clock work mod nandroid and will not work with amon ra so you will need to make a new nand

12. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

Nope download the zip file for amon ra 2.3, save it on top level of sd card, name pc36img and go back to boot loader. It will flash it.

13. beastinbolts

no as long as in the hboot screen it says: s-off

14. beastinbolts

to many answeres.... i'll shut up before the guy gets confused

15. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

I can still get into boot loader and select all the options, just that recovery isn't working right,my nand is gone. I do have a rom in the root of the phone ready to be flashed, the latest cyanogen mod, still in zip format liek i've been told to keep it.

16. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

it was actually made with just unrevoked, i hadn't gotten rommanager yet at that point. i wanted to see how everything was before devling deeper into custom roms and kernels.

Don't worry about confusing me, this stuff isn't that far ahead of me, but i know when i'm stumped and to ask for help

17. ocnbrze

ok so yeah i would install amon ra 2.3 then since you do not have recovery.

18. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

should i have renamed the rom i'm trying to flash? or is that just something you need to do for amon ra

19. ocnbrze

switching recoveries is different then flashing roms. you need to rename it exactly "PC36IMG". xfer it to the root (no folders) of the sd card. power off then press and hold power+vol down. this will load into hboot. your phone will automatically scan for the PC36IMG file. if it is named correctly it will ask you to update it press vol up for yes. once done it should ask you if you want to reboot or not. select no so that you can go to recovery and from there you can flash a rom.

20. ocnbrze

as far as renaming a rom. no there is no need for that.

21. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

just a little confused on what i should be downlaoding, I tried the thread on the xda forums and theres like 2-3 links there for download. i tried the link in your siggy and that leads me to a thread which leads to a mediafire, non of them are named what you are mentioning

22. ocnbrze

ok so here is the one you want PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip just delete the "_RA_2.3" in the name so that it is named "PC36IMG". just keep in mind that windows hides extensions. so do not add ".zip" otherwise it will look like "PC36IMG.zip.zip" which will not work.

23. syi

syi Android Enthusiast

apparently windows scanned my droid for inconsistencies, i have a logtxt in my root and i didn't even know it happened. is this a bad thing?

also where the hell does file expert put backups? i made a backup of all my apps and now I can't find it

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews