1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ROMS and teh SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattwill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mattwill

mattwill Member
    None

May 6, 2010
    I want to be 100% clear on the SD Card and installing ROMS. Before I install a ROM, I use CWM to backup my old ROm, which stores it in a folder called backup on my SD card.

This tells me that I must not need to wipe my SD card, otherwise CWM would not store them there. And sure enough, i have successfully installed new ROMS with the card filled with crap.

But ive also seen conflicting stuff where i need to wipe my sd card. So when experts say "clear the files" am i supposed to be wiping my SD Card and storing this backup on my computer first?

SECOND question: ALso, once i install a ROM, can I THEN wipe my SD Card to "start fresh" or will that kill programs that the phone points to (like CLockwork)

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    No need to wipe your sd card unless you have problems with it. Although, it is still good to back up the contents of your sd card to another storage device every now and then. You can never have too many backups.

You can wipe wipe your sd card whenever you want, any necessary folders will automatically be recreated. But obviously you will lose any saved data on there (pictures, movies, game saves, etc).

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    When you hear "do a full wipe", they're talking about wiping data on the phone plus cache. Nobody wipes the SD card unless there's a specific reason for it.

4. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    My SD needed to be wiped. I hadn't backed it up and it killed me. The worst part is that backing it up would have been so easy since miui.us has a FTP built in for easy copy.

May I remind people to frequently back up your SD, just in case.