1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

ROMs, Android and Mac OSX 10.6

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alexduncan1, Oct 30, 2011.

1. alexduncan1

alexduncan1 Lurker
    None

Oct 30, 2011
    So... I am very new to all this and if anyone is kind enough to try and advise I would really appreciate them spelling things out for me step by step because I think it must be something REAL simple I am missing.

I have Unrevoked my Desire. I have successfully flashed Cyanogenmod and have successfully restored my backup. So over the last couple of weeks I have been doing some research and decided I want to move on to the latest version of Insertcoinhd, or failing that, leedroid... so, I found out what I needed, bought myself a new 16gb Micro SD class 10 card to prep for it and here's my problem, I'm a mac user...

I can't get any software to partition the sd card how every forum says it should be done (15GB FAT 32 and 1GB ext3/4) I have tried shit loads... it seems like gparted could do it but I don't know how to get it to work. Like I said, pretty new to this sort of thing.

So my plan b was to try partitioning with ROM manager, mixed reviews online as to whether this is wise or not but I felt it was worth a risk... My rom manager isn't capable of partitioning with 1GB EXT 3, only goes up to 512MB ...

so I boot into recovery for plan C and take a look at CWM... NO partition option. I notice my CWM is 2. something... when all the forums I have checked refer to more recent version... so I try to upgrade this with ROM manager... no joy, it says it has updated it, shows that my version matches the most recent, but when I boot in to recovery, it still shows CWM 2.X.X.

Any advice on my number of issues would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Firstly, you'd be better off in the root subforum.

Secondly don't use ROM Manager. There's a sticky thread in the root forum detailing some of the woes people have suffered.

As for CWM, 2.5.0.7 is more stable than the later ones, so you probably don't actually want to update that. Unless you are S-Off (NAND security bypassed) you can't actually change the real installed recovery without running unrevoked again. ROM Manager works with a trick called "fake flash", and only updates its own fake recovery (I've heard that more recent versions don't use fake flash, but then require S-Off instead).

So how to do it? I've never tried booting a mac from a CD or USB (don't think it will boot from CD). I have partitioned my card using a GParted with a Mac, but I took the lazy option (lazy for me, that is!): I keep a couple of linux virtual machines on the Mac, so just used one of those. Just download VirtualBox (free) and a linux live cd image (I used ubuntu, but any should do) and make a virtual machine using the image. Run that, and it will include GParted (has to to give you the option of installing for real). Took a little fiddling to get the virtual machine to see the card, but straightforward after that. In a linux distro GParted is likely to be found under system or administration tools.

Or you could look into creating a GParted live install, either usb or a virtual machine.
    The root memory FAQ, linked from the "all about rooting" sticky post in the root forum (red link in my sig) includes a recipe for running GParted in a virtual machine. That's using (IIRC) VMWare Player on a PC, so the details of the virtual machine tool may differ (main Mac tools being VirtualBox, Parallels and VMWare Fusion, the latter two being commercial products), but the principles should be the same.

Tags: