1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ROMs for Droid 1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Unno Gordillo, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Unno Gordillo

Unno Gordillo Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    WHat are good ROMs that are stable?

Advertisement

2. jerry42570

jerry42570 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I just acquired an OG for the wife to replace an LG Ally. I did some poking around trying to see who may have tried multiple ROMs and what their thoughts were. I thought post #118 from this discussion from another forum helped most: Which ROM best for Droid now? - Page 12 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Reviews seem good so far so I flashed myself. So far so good. Stable. Phone is currently deactivated so I can't test GPS or any issues regarding 3G. I plan to test drive for a while, but have to wait a few days.

http://androidforums.com/droid-roms/346130-rom-simply-stunning-v-5-4-2-3-4-5-31-11-a.html

Finally, a lot of good discussions in here. The Peter Alfonso ROMs sound pretty nice too. Will definitely give them a try at some point.

Droid - ROMs - Android Forums

3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

I went with Droid Concepts Build 11.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    I'm running CM 7 nightly, but you have to be very good at beta testing in order to keep up with this ROM, particularly if you have a lot of apps installed and / or have a lot of apps that run in the background. Gingerbread is highly aggressive in terms of freeing up RAM so that applications can run, and it will do things that at first seem strange to you if you're not ready for it.

Jerry's last link is a good place to read (meaning read before you just jump on board and try one) about most of the different ROM options out there for the phone.

5. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    I'm using Peter Alfonso's GPA16 build, it's a Gingerbread build for the Droid. After flashing the 900 mHz IV kernel it's a WORLD of difference as far as performance. I'll see how the next 24 hours go, but I was getting frustrated with the performance until I did the OC/OV. The GPA16 build is a stock Gingerbread but you may need to get a ton of apps from the Market to add all the Google functionality back (I did on GPA 15 anyway).

6. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Worldwide Logistics by day,Website design by night
    Olympus, Back on the throne!!!
    If you are looking for a FroYo ROM, Droid Concepts is the only way to go. It is the ONLY supported FroYo ROM for the OG Droid.

Gingerbread ROMs are more prevalent, but many people have expressed issues with them, me included.

It really all comes down to testing different ROMs until you find the one that both you and your phone like the most.

Kratos

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Cha-Ching, more money! Another "Which ROM should I use" thread. . . .

On a serious note, all good advise, I am pretty much with Kratos, The A855 just isn't quite up to speed for more than Froyo. . .