1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ROM's Slowing Down

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Scotlac, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Hey guys,

I rooted my phone about a year ago and I've noticed that no matter what ROM I use they tend to get really slow and bogged down within a week or so. Changing the kernel will help temporarily (maybe for a day or two) but nothing will really fix the problem except installing a new ROM (which will then do the same thing within a week or slightly more).

I try to reboot every other day or so and I clear cache/dalvik cache when the problem gets bad but it doesn't really seem to improve performance.

Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

What ROMS are you using?

I find that this does occur with some of the "heavier" ROMs like sense 3.0 or sense 3.5 but that the problem doesnt exist with some of the more "lightweight" ROMS like AOSP or sense 1.0, 2.1 ect

Scotlac likes this.
  3. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Yeah, that was my suspicion initially so several months ago I switched from Mik's ROM's to things like CM7 and Decks. I was trying to keep them as small and light as possible. Currently I'm using Tommy Tomatoe's Classic v0.0.6 and anxiously awaiting the SuperMagic! I'm using the newest version of the classic kernel with the latest Car-o-dope tweaks.

It seems like the smaller ROM's take longer to bog down but it's still no more than a week or two before they're unlivable.

Thanks for the quick reply Rx!

Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Hmm. Is your SD card partitioned? If so, what class it is?

If not, thats something I would look into. It keeps more of the phones information on the SD card and leaves more internal memory available for the phone to use. A lot of ROMS will get sluggish when they get down to <100MB of memory left.

Other than that, all I can suggest is a wipe of dalvik cache and cache every few weeks, but it seems like your already doing that.

Saw your edit:
    Tweaks can help a lot too. I would give the Smurfed Out tweaks a try if COD is still causing slowing. They're pretty good.

Scotlac likes this.
  5. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

Yes, I am partitioned. It's a class 6 card if I remember correctly. I have 119 MB free on System ROM and 128 MB free on Internal.

Would an issue with the card cause things to slow down over time? It seems to me that if that was the issue it would be slow from the start. I'm still pretty much a noob at all of this so I'm sure you know better than I do. ;)

Thanks again Rx.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

With a class 6 you should be alright. I doubt its SD card related.

It seems like you don't have a lot of free space though. As an example: I have 114MB free of system ROM and 346MB free of internal ROM.

Are you using the A2SD baked into a ROM or using dtA2SD?

Scotlac likes this.
  7. Scotlac

Scotlac Member

I'm using whatever is baked into Tommy's Classic ROM.

I'm trying to think back to when I first rooted and I hadn't partitioned my SD card yet. I can't remember if I was having this issue at that point or not.......

I don't know, could it be an app that's causing problems?

I just reinstalled the Classic Kernel v1.1 (just noticed there's now a 1.2) and it's smooth as silk. I just wiped cache/dalvik and reinstalled the same exact kernel. It will stay smooth for a day or two and then it will bog down again.

If I just wipe cache/dalvik without the reinstall it doesn't help at all.

Very strange..........

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews