1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Roms without HTC sense?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by finnaginagain, Dec 10, 2010.

1. finnaginagain

finnaginagain Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    NOt trying to start a fight but im getting a Droid Incredible sometime next week and plan on rooting it ( started with a Moto Droid) i got rid of the droid and plan on getting this. But im also wondering are there any roms that are stable that dont run HTC sense? my GF has the Eris and i didnt care to much for it maybe just because her phone is slow as hell, so maybe im wrong but please let me know Thanks!

Advertisement

2. finnaginagain

None

Feb 22, 2010
    Also, trying to find some pics of some roms such as Cm6 or the latest verison of that build. and just other roms to check them and see what they are sporting

3. Meefle

Meefle Newbie
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Kortta Software
    I'm running CM6.1 RC2 and have been happy without. Sure there are a few bugs but that don't bug me and I prefer it over Sense. I've heard good things from Shadowrom as well. You can try the MIUI rom as well. Ruby is another option. It's been slow on the CM dev for the Inc but out of all the ASOP roms I prefer CM.

4. Meefle

Meefle Newbie
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Kortta Software
    One thing to look out for is if you get a SLCD Inc, I've heard CM has some problems. Just a heads up

5. finnaginagain

None

Feb 22, 2010

what is the SLCD? can anyone pst picks of the latest CM build stock? i cant seem to find any pics anywhere

6. androidxen

androidxen Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    I've posted screens of some of the newer features cyanogen sports in the CyanogenMOD 6.1 forum, if you haven't checked...

Otherwise, it's a little hard to represent ROMs through screens because the gut of the ROM is not necessarily the difference in UI but the working features it has - and there are many theming options for Android in general outside of Sense, so if you're judging ROMs by their UI you won't get a complete view on the potential of each ROM. That's the strength of Android in general, but also its weakness when people look at Android as a single UI on the OS. The screenshots I posted, basically, do not represent what cyanogenmod looks like, because I've customized it to my own liking.

On the issue of SLCD - SLCD is a display type, as opposed to AMOLED. Just Google it and you'll get an general idea. Regarding cyanogenmod: RC2(and on) cyanogen apparently fixes the bugs with SLCD, though I personally cannot confirm that as I have an AMOLED Incredible.

7. andreezy

andreezy Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    i work
    Canton, OH
    miui miui miui... ftw...

8. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    miui is def a great ROM, skyraider makes a vanilla ROM, CyanogenMod is the mod vanilla you can get.. personally I LOVE the sense it runs great on the incredible and has features you can't get in other ROMs, like everything working 100%, and deodexed so can be themed. good luck friend.

9. xkingofgodzx

xkingofgodzx Android Enthusiast
    None

May 15, 2010
    New York
    Skyraiders vanilla Rom is not stock android, its a sensless Rom with pieces of sense and pieces of vanilla but indeed a good rom.

10. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    ROMs - The Incredible List
    look for the ones that say "vanilla" or senseless, most of the roms listed have screenshots and reviews and list all of the known bugs.
    IMO go with MIUI with invisiblek's #16 kernel. No major issues at all, except the internal storage doesn't mount on boot, but that is a problem for all true vanilla ROMS.

11. jesssiii

jesssiii Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2009
    Psych Nurse
    So CA
    This is so confusing to me. What working features do you mean? I love LauncherPro Plus' UI so what are the advantages of a certain ROM vs just using root to delete the bloat?
    Sorry, I'm a noob.

12. morkon

morkon Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    a lot of the bloat is built into the operating system itself (thanks to HTC Sense, or TouchWiz with Samsung and Blur with Motorola). Sure you can download Launcher Pro, and delete applications, but HTC Sense will still be running in the background, slowing down the phone. Vanilla/AOSP ROMs such as Cyanogenmod and MIUI dont have sense and other bloated code running in the operating system, they're purely based off of Android's code with extra enhancements, some visual, some software optimizations.

13. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Android Expert
    None

Mar 12, 2010
    Network Engineering and Data Communications
    I'll be where I'm at!