• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
This is my first post. I just got my EVO a few days ago which is my first Android phone and I updated to 2.2 not knowing any better. From what I understand there is no root for it yet. Is it possible to downgrade to 2.1 so I can use the one click root then upgrade to 2.2? Also does anybody know of a program that autosyncs bookmarks or that can transfer them from a pc or mac? I'm an Android newbie but very advanced with everything else computers. Thanks for the help. Also any recommendations on a good backup program to use on a non-rooted phone before I root it?

2.2 cannot be rooted on the evo yet. No, you can't downgrade to 2.1. Unfortunately you will have to wait like the rest of us who hurried into froyo. Keep an eye on this forum and over at xda-developers. When someone gets root I'm sure there will be a bunch of new threads letting you know.

Upvote 0
I was part of those people that rushed not knowing. Now I want a custom Rom with forced roaming good battery life etc etc and cant get there yet. I been keeping an eye on the threads in XDA

I was wondering because I seen this posted somewhere. Does a HTC/Sprint store have the software to revert back to 2.1? I was thinking maybe if I brought it in and complained about all the issues I been having on 2.2 that I wasnt having prior that they can do it.

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
@blundell:

I know you were just trying to help, but pretty much every one of your posts involving root did not apply to the OP. Considering that rooting has some risk, I would be more conservative with posting unless you can fully back up or help troubleshoot issues that arise from following the suggestions/links you posted.

Upvote 0
For clarity:

1) There is currently no exploit to root an existing stock 2.2 phone. But it's being worked on, for sure. You may not have long to wait.

2) There is no way to go back to stock 2.1 if you've updated your phone to 2.2. A factory wipe on your phone is not a true factory wipe; it doesn't bring your phone back to its factory 2.1 state. It just wipes personal and application data and settings. You'll see it referred to as a "hard reset" on the forums, which is a more appropriate term.

3) If you bought an app on the market, and you decide you don't like it, you can uninstall and get a refund. There is probably a time limit for this though.

4) MyBackup is a great backup tool for pre and post rooting. It saves your applications and settings, your personal data, as well as your homescreen layouts. Post root, Titanium Backup is highly popular. In my experience, both tools have limitations, but can get you 95% back to where you were. Widgets and some settings have to be manually restored.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones