1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Root Access Not Aquired

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Caine92, May 6, 2011.

1. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    After rooting my phone last night and downloading some apps, I turned my phone off and let it charge for the night.

Today when I turned it on and tried to access a root app, it says it cannot access root information. Another app says "is your phone rooted?"

I restored the phone to its factory settings and still had the Superuser app, and after downloading a rooted app, root access is back on my phone.

Can anyone tell me why that happened and if it will happen again? I don't want that to happen when I really start to get going with the phone.

Advertisement

2. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Without knowing which apps, not really, my guess you needed busybox

paulgl26 likes this.
  3. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    how did you root? (unrEVOked forever) what rom are you using?(not that this should make a difference LoL) what apps? how tall are you in decimeters? whats your weather like?

4. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    Fine...i get it doofus...i'l pursue it further...do you have s-off? a custom recovery? and su app?

Were the apps enabled in su? Which apps were they?

If he has su app it wasnt forever it was 3...forever just turns s-off...unless he flashed a custom rom and recovery after running forever...

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    btw its 75 and sunny :) im still in a bad mood though. Have to go back to tw. Had direct tv for 3 days then the apartment got mad at the dish location and want me to remove it...grrrrr

6. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    dear lord man!!! you musta pissed that murphy dood who made the law off really badly!! were you getting wildblue satellite internet thru dtv? i thought they needed an addtl dish for that....

7. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    and i wasnt suggesting that you were being derelict of your geek duties, just wanted to make sure he gave any/all pertinant info :) sorry for steppin on toes

8. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    Sorry, I just got my Evo 2 days ago and know absolutely nothing about all of this.

I used unrevoked to root the phone. The app that says an error occurred while attempting to acquire root access is App Vault and the one that asks if my phone is rooted is Wireless Tether.

Although App Vault started working after rebooting the phone, Wireless Tether was not. So I went through the whole rooting process again and now neither are working.

9. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    Also I just installed Busybox and that's also telling me that root access is denied.

10. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    have you gone in to the super user app to see if it has vault as not allowed root permision

11. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    Yes all of the apps have permission.

12. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    well, welcome to the forum man!!! its a wild wonderful world of rooting goodness!!! power down youre device, wait a second or 2, hold the vol dn button and power back on(make sure you hold the power button till the screen starts to do its thing) thisll get you into hboot.... on the top of ths screen itll say s-on or s-off... whatcha got?

13. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    no but after i disconnected a few of the tw lines and removed some splitters and the dish guy removed some bs outside the house the internet signal obviously picked up and i had direct tv which has some cool apps for the phone not to mention i was using hbo go...im a little bitter...tw doesnt provide their customers with any cool apps or agreements with hbo or espn 3 or i could go on...

14. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    I dont have any toes to step on you SOAB...j/k :D

you cant step on my toes im quick and agile like a gazelle...which doesnt even have toes...nevermind it was better in my head...

15. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    Sorry for the clutter in this thread...

Yes s-on?...s-off?...custom recovery?

16. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    wifi-tether might require a custom kernel. I know a lot of people had issues getting it to work with the stock HTC kernel (though I know some people had no issues).

Typically when I get prompted for "are you rooted," it's cause I restored the app from a backup. Uninstall/reinstall fixes the issue (or possibly just clearing the app cache and data).

17. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    It says S-On.

Now everything seems to be working. It's like it goes on and off.

18. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010

S-ON means your bootloader is still locked. You're not fully rooted.

19. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    So you have run unrevoked twice and s is still on? I would back my apps up somewhere like appbrain (or root with z4, back them up with tib) then factory reset, then run unrevoked.

20. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    +1 sounds like a good idear to me as well...

21. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    whose got the pc36img file for him to flash to get s-off?

22. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    You have the superuser app, but you still have S-ON? Did you happen to accidentally change any options in unrevoked (reflash_package, executed from your computer)? You have the ability to not flash unrevoked-forever (which gives S-OFF), but only root your ROM, if you want. I can't think of any other reason why that would have happened, at least on the current version of unrevoked. It happened pretty often on the previous version. Anyway, do this:

1) Install the terminal emulator from the market, open it, and type "su" without quotes, then enter. If the prompt changes from $ to #, then your ROM is rooted. If it gives you a permission denied error, then it's not. This is pretty much the ultimate test.

2) Even if your ROM is rooted, S-ON means that nand is locked. That won't prevent you from running root apps, though. You only need a rooted ROM for that. With nand locked, you won't be able to make changes to locked partitions (/system, for example). You won't be able to permanently remove bloatware (though it can be frozen) or flash certain things.

3) If you're going to go to S-OFF, you're going to need a custom recovery. It's hard to say where exactly unrevoked failed, so just do this - turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding volume down. From there, select the recovery option. The phone will reboot into recovery. If you see that you have clockwork, then you need to flash unrevoked-forever to get S-OFF. You can get it here. Once you download it, put it on the root of your sdcard (while booted up), reboot back into recovery, select the option to flash/install a zip, select the unrevoked-forever zip, let it flash, then reboot back into hboot. You should then see that you have S-OFF.

In the event that you *don't* have recovery, you have no choice but to rerun unrevoked. It's easy to get S-OFF with a custom recovery, and it's easy to get a custom recovery with S-OFF, but you'll need unrevoked to get either one of them if you only have S-ON and no custom recovery. A rooted ROM will do you no good in that situation (in terms of getting S-OFF).

Tags: